Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:57 AM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not exactly a monitoring system but rather a timer of sorts. Takes account of the mileage and type of driving done... then it "determines" when the oil needs to be changed. It does not analyze the oil, it just makes an educated guess. My Fleetwood has this system and I don't use it... I just reset the light when it comes on.
The system in BMW cars, at least 1980s and 1990s vintage, looks at the number of cold starts, amount of time you spend under some threshold RPM, amount of time over, and probably a couple more things that I can't think of right now. I'm not aware of any maintenance computer/indicator that actually monitors oil condition, but I don't know all about every car out there, one may exist.

Oil change interval depends on the kind of oil you are using and the conditions of service. For most relatively modern cars, say 1980 and newer, 3000 miles would only be needed if you are using (or really abusing) the car with extreme service conditions - a downtown urban environment in winter, rural Alaska, something like that.

A very simple test you can do to evaluate the conditon of your own oil is to put a drop of oil from your dipstick onto a white coffee filter (or other blotter paper). If it forms a "bullseye" pattern, with a dark ring around the outside of the oil spot, then your detergent package is not yet saturated. You need to have a few miles on the oil for this to work, of course, if it's not yet dark colored you can rest assured it's fine.

Of course this simple test does not detect things like coolant or dirt contamination, but if your car is in good shape overall typically you need to change the oil based on depleting the detergent package.

That and as I have written before, all miles are by no means created equal. Me cruising down a blue road on the way to work, racking up one of the 37 miles the trip entails, I'm causing much less wear to the entire car than a New York City cabbie battling his way one mile through town.

Not to be over-simplistic, but take a look in your owner's manual, provided your car didn't come with one of those "free" maintenance packages, the manufacturer's recommendation is usually good advice from people who know what they are talking about, and have no axe to grind for you to change your oil at anything other than the optimal interval. Now if you have "free" oil changes coming to you from the stealer, well, they have an axe to grind all right in suggesting 15K or more between oil changes - think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 12:06 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not exactly a monitoring system but rather a timer of sorts. Takes account of the mileage and type of driving done... then it "determines" when the oil needs to be changed. It does not analyze the oil, it just makes an educated guess. My Fleetwood has this system and I don't use it... I just reset the light when it comes on.
yeah that's what I meant.

I'll tell you why I like it though. It doesn't arbitrarily pick a mile number out of the sky. It's based on real analysis of how hard you drove it over time.

If you're just putting straight hwy miles on it maybe it doesn't need to be changed as often as if you were kicking the crap out of it in stop/go driving conditions.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:00 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
I think 3,000 mile intervals are mostly just good for turbo or supercharged vehicles that get driven harder than average. Synthetic is the way to go with these vehicles.

On a daily driver, like an Accord for instance, 5,000-6,000 miles will do.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
How long do you want to keep the vehicle? Just til ppayment are over or long term? The milage intervals for oil changes will make a difference on how long the engine last. But even if you don't change the oil, DO change the Filter!!! It has been proven the filter is too clogged to be efffective after 3500 miles. Regardless of brand.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:28 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
I try to stick to 3k intervals whenever possible.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I think 3,000 mile intervals are mostly just good for turbo or supercharged vehicles that get driven harder than average. Synthetic is the way to go with these vehicles.

On a daily driver, like an Accord for instance, 5,000-6,000 miles will do.
I don't know that more frequent intervals are important for supercharged engines just because they're supercharged. But it's a good idea for turbocharged engines because the oil is used to lubricate the turbo shaft. It'ss hotter than hell in there which can accelerate the oil's thermal breakdown which in turn can cause coking in the shaft housing and impede oil flow. And then you're looking at $400-$1000+ to replace the turbo.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:46 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
A newspaper once interviered people who had over 250,000 miles on their car and had little trouble with the car.

They ended the article by saying they were looking for similarities----make of car, age of driver, rural vs city.

They stated they could only find one common denominator--------frequent oil changes.

I had 3 new cars and always changed oil and filter at 3,000 miles.

One I got 257,000 out of it , the other 2 were given to my kids and got over 220,000 miles on and the kids drive them everyday to work/college.

Could I have said the same if I changed every 5-7,000 miles ? maybe, but I change the oil myself so cost isn't a big item.

Havoline 5-30 and Phram filter.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:52 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
The last new car I bought ( 2007 Toyota Camry) I don't change oil myself as my ramps don't fit good under the low car.

On the owner's manual recommendation, I use synthetic oil and change every 5,000 miles regardless.

2 years,1 month old.
53,000 miles.

I won't pass judgement on the car til it gives me at least 200,000 trouble free miles.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:09 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Basic rule is that oil in some cars is dirty at 3000 and with others it will last longer.Look at it and if still seems rather clean at 3000 I dont see why you can not go another 1000 to 15oo.Just be sure its not low and dont forget that an engine ran hard and hot will get dirty faster and the heat can break down the oil. Also if it has aluminum heads and uses the new small filter and only take 4 quarts to fill it the oil should be changed more often.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:34 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
I know a 20 year old girl that inherited her "fiances grandpas" 1990 Buick Century Custom sedan with the 3.3L V6. It had 84K when she and her fiance got it and it looked like new. It now has 110K and she still has not changed the oil. SAD!

It was so nice and beautiful when they got it... now its a piece of junk... moss growing on it, they (her boyfriend) have ripped out the headliner (because it started to sag), lost hubcaps, shorted out some wires in the steering column while trying to install a radio, huge exhaust leak, etc.

What a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive