Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:25 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,909 times

Advertisements

This is one of my biggest peeves. Noise enhancing devices on a car/motorcycle. I live near the freeway and I constantly hear some Harley Davidson blaring down the freeway or some car with performance exhaust! It gets really annoying after awhile constantly hearing this.

Now I am not saying we should ban the devices all together but rather place an extra registration tax on cars that have such devices, to discourage their use. Maybe like 500$ per year.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 03:49 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,054 times
yes, let's charge people money for everything they do that others don't like *sigh*

most states have noise ordinances that cover vehicle exhausts. you don't need a tax or another law; you just need the cops to enforce the laws already on the books.

Mike

Old 09-24-2009, 03:52 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,867,663 times
I think you should move away from that freeway.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:03 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
This is one of my biggest peeves. Noise enhancing devices on a car/motorcycle. I live near the freeway and I constantly hear some Harley Davidson blaring down the freeway or some car with performance exhaust! It gets really annoying after awhile constantly hearing this.

Now I am not saying we should ban the devices all together but rather place an extra registration tax on cars that have such devices, to discourage their use. Maybe like 500$ per year.

What do you think?
Should we also put a tax on tire noise?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:10 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,693 times
If you did "tax" it, people would just swap pipes on inspection day.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:31 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
i hate it when i can't hear my TV, with the dogs in the neighborhood barking all day long.
Maybe a tax on dogs??

Wait, ever here kids screaming when you're trying to nap? Ohh, i see new revenue streams here!!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:33 AM

989 posts, read 2,497,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post

What do you think?
How about we tax your tofu?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Wait, ever here kids screaming when you're trying to nap? Ohh, i see new revenue streams here!!
I live next to an elementary school.

Cha Ching!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
If you tax performance exhause, you need to triple the tax on the fart bubblers.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
How about putting a tax on stupid behavior?

If you want to pay a lower rent because the place you live in is located next to a freeway, then it's not everybody else's fault that there are trade-offs/drawbacks.

Same situation with houses built directly adjacent to or under a flight pattern at an airport. They're priced lower than the ones further away because of the perceived inconvenience of the airplane noise.

Or how about those houses built adjacent to a waste water treatment plant? There's smells that come from their operations. This could be a reason why these places are priced lower than the houses further away.

Or next to a noisy factory? Or next to a busy church or stadium or school or other facility that doesn't have adequate parking for their scheduled activities ... and you can't even get in/out of the neighborhood at certain times? Or isn't right next door to your favorite recreational activity?

You want peace and quiet? Maybe you'll just have to move somewhere to your own plot of land where all the neighbors are miles away. Oops ... then you'll have the inconvenience of having to maintain your own driveway and drive all that extra distance into your own place ... that'll be somebody else's fault, too, won't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive