Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 05:46 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,129 times

Advertisements

This is a problem that has stumped two auto mechanics, and that I've just learned to live with, but I figured I'd post it here and see what happens... In March of 2007, I was driving my 1999 Chevy Prizm (a Toyota Corolla manufactured in the US) on a hot day through slow rush-hour traffic due to a bad auto accident. All of a sudden, I started smelling burning plastic, and assumed that something in the engine was about to fail and leave me stranded in said rush-hour traffic. But the engine didn't overheat, and I made it home fine.

My next thought was that a plastic bag had burned onto the bottom of the chassis, something that had happened to me in another car years before. I couldn't find anything. The next day, the smell briefly reappeared, as it did on subsequent days. Usually it seemed to happen after the car was warmed up, and after I pulled away from a stop light -- a whiff of it would drift through the cabin. When I drove at a steady pace or was idling, I didn't smell it. It was extremely sporadic. I took the car to my mechanic, who couldn't duplicate the problem or find anything wrong.

When the cool fall weather came, the problem suddenly stopped. Then it started back up in the summer of 2008, and has been with me ever since. I had another mechanic check it out, and he, too, couldn't duplicate the problem or find anything wrong. No fluids were leaking, and no engine parts were in need of replacement.

A few times when I've gotten a big blast of the smell, I've pulled over and checked out my car. I've lifted the hood, and haven't smelled it there. There is no smell at the brakes (and I know burning-brake smell, which is different), and nothing coming from the under-carriage. It's only in the cabin. It's different from exhaust smell.

The most plausible theory has come from a coworker, who thinks that I have an intermittent short in the wiring that's burning a tiny amount of insulation each time it happens. I blew two rear brake-light bulbs within a month of each other, which lends creedence to this theory. But I'd think that, after all this time, either there wouldn't be any more wire insulation to burn, or something would have failed electrically. Any ideas, including how I'd go about troubleshooting the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 07:26 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Since the smell seems to come with conditions that would run your electric radiator fan, take a good hard look at the wiring for it. If this car has a 2-speed fan, take a hard look at the low-speed resistor.

You could try letting the car idle with the hood up, wait till the fan comes on, see what you can see/smell.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Since the smell seems to come with conditions that would run your electric radiator fan, take a good hard look at the wiring for it. If this car has a 2-speed fan, take a hard look at the low-speed resistor.

You could try letting the car idle with the hood up, wait till the fan comes on, see what you can see/smell.
Thanks, Mitch! I'll check it out.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:06 PM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
The resistor for the blower motor for your heat and a/c is getting hot. More than likely it is melting the plastic connector.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:57 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Could be, but electrical issues are rare on Toyota made vehicles.

I agree it could be something with the fan though.

My Lexus occasionally had a funny smell that came from under the hood that smelled like diesel fumes.. strange but it turned out being a leaky valve cover gasket and was only occasionally dripping on the manifold.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 872 times
I have encountered this same exact problem over the last week, 2001 Chevy prism, i found that my resister for the a/c blower motor is pretty fried and the foam that coats the air intake togle is pretty gunked up, i vacuumed the piece of foam and pealed off most of the burnt shelack/plastic from the resister and the problem seems to have subsided. I smell it faintly here and there but it's barely noticeable anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive