Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
I used

Discount Tires, Custom Wheels, Rims, Goodyear, Michelin, Cooper Tires

and they were cheaper than Tirerack and Discount Tires.
OK, I tried this site since I'm currently in the market for a new set of tires. First thing they did was return the wrong wheel/tire size when I input my vehicle year/make/model. So, we're not off to a very good start.

So, after I manually selected the correct tire size, I did a side-by-side comparison with Tire Rack and at first Online Tires looked cheaper -- until I looked at the shipping costs. Online Tires wants to charge me $20 more for shipping than Tire Rack, which pretty much negates any price advantage Online Tires would have had. Maybe that's because Tire Rack's warehouse is only 100 miles away from me and Online Tire's is nearly 2,000 miles away. So if you live on the West Coast or interior West, go with Online Tires. If you live in the Midwest or East Coast, go with Tire Rack.

As for comparing to Discount Tires, it's worth noting that their listed prices include the delivery cost to one of their shops, so they will always appear more expensive than the online-only stores until you factor in the shipping costs for the latter. When it comes down to it, I have found that by the time you pay to have the tires shipped from an online-only store and installed by an independent shop, it's usually cheaper to have Discount Tires order from their own stock and install them at one of their shops.

That said, I really like the guys at Tire Rack, they did a lot for my local rallycross group back when it was active, even letting us run events on their property free of charge before the Indiana State Police shut our events down. So unless it's outrageously more expensive, I will buy from them anyway even if I have to pay a little bit more in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 11:36 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
you want good tires and good balancing?

buy good tires, not cheap ones, stay away from goodyear if you can as well

cooper is good, too

if you have balancing issues, the machine could be out of calibration, i used to cal ours every week

Old 10-02-2009, 01:49 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
We got Michelins and as I drove my 4Runner today the vibration is still there. I will take your advice because something has to be wrong with the balancing or the tires. My Prius' tires (also Michelins) were re-balanced and are ok now.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:29 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
you want good tires and good balancing?

buy good tires, not cheap ones, stay away from goodyear if you can as well

cooper is good, too

if you have balancing issues, the machine could be out of calibration, i used to cal ours every week
Why do you say that? I've always had very good luck with Goodyears.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:48 PM

i worked as a ford certified tech for a few years

goodyears always wore odd and made noise, even if the alignment was SPOT ON, which by the way will cause a vehicle to drift, the alignment has to be tweaked to account for road crown here in florida.

never had any luck with them

switch to a michelin or a cooper and you will experience better luck...

fwiw, michelins are NOT the be all end all to great tires either

but take your truck back to whoever has been doing the work and ask them to recalibrate their balancer before they work on your truck, and ask them to do a dynamic balance with weights on the inside AND outside of the wheel, you may not love the look, but it balances better

Old 10-02-2009, 05:58 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,742,958 times
I bought the last three sets of tires at CostCo 2 michelin and 1 bridgestone. Never had a problem and they rotate and rebalance them every 6000 miles.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:31 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
I had a set that got road force balanced 3 or 4 times and never balanced out right. This was at a tire specialty shop.

They'd be OK for a couple of miles and then at 65+ the steering wheel shake would return.
Sent them back to tire rack. Got another set and had them balanced at Wal Mart. A couple came out of balance, got them re-balanced free.

The original M&B was also at a specialty shop, they did a very poor job including TPs in the 38-43 range, no consistency.

IMO it's luck of the draw if you find a good shop, whether a chain or a specialty shop.
One yoyo at the local Discount Tire told me steel wheels for my car would weigh 35 lbs. More like 20 in reality.

No excuse, whether he was lying or ignorant, there is no excuse for such a foolish answer. I will not be returning to Discount Tire locally.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:26 PM

773 posts, read 2,630,183 times
Tires are sometimes not uniform in stiffness around their circumference, in which case the tire is rotated on the wheel until the stiffest section of the tire sits atop that section of the wheel that has the lowest redial run-out. Tire and wheel are matched this way at the factory and also at TireRack at their place in South Bend. TireRack uses the Hunter 9700GPS balancer, and they have the technicians who know how to use it.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:18 AM

you have to road force index a tire that has excessive runout, but that will only get you so far.

the tires on a 4runner should have 33-35psi to ride and handle the best, personal experience

i run 40 in the front and 38 in the rear on my trailblazer and get 25mpg on the highway and great feel and handling

the problem with buying tires premounted and balanced, is "how are they shipped"? a tire can develop a deformity in shipping, very easily
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive