U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 01:45 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,975,879 times

Advertisements

Honda crv 2002 miles 21000 check engine light comes on and dealer said
it was gas cap. 6 months later the light on I did bring it for the reading at
auto zone gas cap code so they cleared the code. This week the car had an oil change at Honda no light but today check engine again? It seems to
happen when the tank is on the half mark? I did fill the tank up and will
have code pulled again? Any ideas about this, or the why? Car runs well
checked out ok with Honda! I did look gas cap was tight-
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 01:48 PM

38,705 posts, read 97,999,122 times
If it's the same problem, get a new gas cap. Seems like this one can't keep a seal.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:49 PM

3,503 posts, read 6,938,751 times
No idea. Pull codes or let a good shop pull codes, diagnose, and repair.

Maybe it is the cap, but about 1000 things could set that light off and nobody can say which is more likely than others.

Your vehicle should run well. You get advance notice of problems. This is not the old days where you randomly swapped parts from, carburetor to engine and hoped things worked right.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:50 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,616,397 times
replace the gas cap

they can leak, and cause a system malfunction, nothing too detrimental, but buy a factory replacement

fwiw, there is no "gas cap" code
there is however a "gross evap system leak" which is generally a leak at the gas cap, cheapest fix without using a smoke machine is to toss a gascap at it and make sure all the fuel lines and filler neck are tight at all connections

Old 10-04-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
replace the gas cap

they can leak, and cause a system malfunction, nothing too detrimental, but buy a factory replacement

there is however a "gross evap system leak" which is generally a leak at the gas cap, cheapest fix without using a smoke machine is to toss a gascap at it and make sure all the fuel lines and filler neck are tight at all connections
Honda has one P01456 misc fault code evap system leak perform leak test pass all function test at this time! est cost 93.00 jan 29 09-cost zero
then 6 months into it light on auto zone said it was gas cap, 10.00 tip and car is fine!
Today start the car up no lights, then half the gas tank and light? otherwise this car has been great! I do think given the age on the car I will get a honda gas cap! Thanks so much! It always does happen with half the tank of gas also.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
replace the gas cap

Yes that year honda crv had a bulletin regarding that issue on some
CRV's Yes, I will get my Honda gas cap since this light is wearing on me!
Much thanks for your advice also! Honda has been fair with me, but I also feel it is the gas cap which does cause the code.

Last edited by maggiekate; 10-04-2009 at 02:45 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
No idea. Pull codes or let a good shop pull codes, diagnose, and repair.

Maybe it is the cap, but about 1000 things could set that light off and nobody can say which is more likely than others.

Your vehicle should run well. You get advance notice of problems. This is not the old days where you randomly swapped parts from, carburetor to engine and hoped things worked right.
I had the code pulled by honda and advance auto parts which did say gas
cap! The car goes into honda for all oil and check ups. only does happen at the half mark, and cap is tight at least this time. This has only started since January 09 also-

Old 10-05-2009, 06:33 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,616,397 times
you let a kid at a parts store tell you there was a code that said "gas cap is loose" ??

replace the cap and go on your way

Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 AM

16,242 posts, read 23,482,866 times
If you are fortunate enough to live in an area where emissions inspections are not required I would not even worry about it.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 PM

same code so advance auto did check code and reset! cap p1456 anyway I did give him money as a tip to have lunch on me with a Thank You! Also I did not do the cap which he did show me the 3 clicks!
No emissions checks here! but that light! thanks KEVK! Honda never did show me this! Gas cap is Ok has the CRV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive