Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:39 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times

Advertisements

According to their own numbers the American car companies hire more American workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:09 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
5/6

Sure, there are a lot of foreign cars built in America. To me, what makes the difference is this...where do the profits go? Where are the bulk of the development dollars spent? Where are decisions ultimately made? People can argue that they provide jobs, use American parts, etc., and all those things are valuable, but, if the profits go overseas, it ain't an American car.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:49 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
6/6.

I wasn't sure about the Pathfinder.

I don't care where a vehicle is made. I buy the best that I can afford and meets my needs. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to offer products that consumers want. It is not my responsibility to further the cause of the outdated (until recently) management, labor, and technology as represented by the Big 3.

There is not one REAL reason the Big 3 can't build the best vehicles in the world. They have just chosen not to in general. Recent products show great promise of what they can do (Chrysler/Dodge is an exception).

Old 10-13-2009, 01:43 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
5/6, I didn't know the Dodge Caravan was made in Canada. As I recall most Nissans are made in Smyrna, GA these days.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:38 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
The one that tripped me up with the Full sized Toyota SUV that was built in Japan. I would have thought that it was built here given that American's tend to be the big buyers of SUV's and what it costs to ship them over here.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:41 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
The one that tripped me up with the Full sized Toyota SUV that was built in Japan. I would have thought that it was built here given that American's tend to be the big buyers of SUV's and what it costs to ship them over here.
The reason why they build pickups here is because of the Chicken Tax. Ford actually had to play games to circumvent it so they could sell the new Transit Connect here.

To Outfox the Chicken Tax, Ford Strips Its Own Vans - WSJ.com

Old 10-13-2009, 07:55 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
5/6

Sure, there are a lot of foreign cars built in America. To me, what makes the difference is this...where do the profits go? Where are the bulk of the development dollars spent? Where are decisions ultimately made? People can argue that they provide jobs, use American parts, etc., and all those things are valuable, but, if the profits go overseas, it ain't an American car.
The profits of publicly owned companies go to the stockholders....who can live anywhere and everywhere.

Example: Some of Toyota's profits land in my mailbox in VIRGINIA, USA

Just like somebody in Japan could own shares in Ford (although Ford hasn't paid a dividend in years).

Old 10-13-2009, 08:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
6/6.

I wasn't sure about the Pathfinder.

I don't care where a vehicle is made. I buy the best that I can afford and meets my needs. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to offer products that consumers want. It is not my responsibility to further the cause of the outdated (until recently) management, labor, and technology as represented by the Big 3.

There is not one REAL reason the Big 3 can't build the best vehicles in the world. They have just chosen not to in general. Recent products show great promise of what they can do (Chrysler/Dodge is an exception).
yeah but since the choose not to build the best is that not a slap in the face to us consumers.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:09 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
No surprise to anyone that pays any attention.

Reminds me of the redneck that was giving me grief about my choice of cars, he was so proud of his Camaro. He did not even know it was built in Canada...

until I told him.

GM will always build cars in Canada.

Why? The Canadian government ponied up $10 billion dollars for the GM bailout....Canada OWNS about 12 percent of New GM.

So GM doesn't stand for Government Motors...its' Governments Motors.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
If the American companies go down then the entire US economy goes down. If a Foreign company goes down it's no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive