Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:05 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Okay - don't anyone shoot me: got a '10 Corolla last night. I think we got a great deal, I tried reading all the tips, online places, etc. - some sites are unclear about what to expect to pay, I did find one that explained that: it showed expect to pay and then clearly stated that was without tax, tags, title, etc. fees.

I feel like I negotiated a good deal, got a few bennies like oil changes and future inspections thrown in. I honestly can't swear that we did though because it's all so confusing
Congratulations on your new car! I bought a 2009 Corolla a couple of months ago and I'm very pleased with it so far. One thing I really like is its tight turning radius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Okay - don't anyone shoot me: got a '10 Corolla last night. I think we got a great deal, I tried reading all the tips, online places, etc. - some sites are unclear about what to expect to pay, I did find one that explained that: it showed expect to pay and then clearly stated that was without tax, tags, title, etc. fees.

I feel like I negotiated a good deal, got a few bennies like oil changes and future inspections thrown in. I honestly can't swear that we did though because it's all so confusing

Well, all things aside... Congrats! Enjoy your new ride and take good care of it! Do your car and your pocketbook a favor by going through that mysterious book in the glovebox. Its full of valuable information on how to give your car what it needs! Have fun

Old 10-18-2009, 12:03 AM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,094 times
Sounds like Flamingo is going to do just fine! New Corollas get terrific gas mileage compared to other cars similarly sized. All the best to you!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 AM

15,141 posts, read 27,756,930 times
Thanks everyone, I do need to go through the manual as JTraik says, especially because it's being taken on a long road trip over the upcoming weekend.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:52 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,254 times
Congrats on the new car! IN all honesty the Corolla will likely not disappoint for a reliable car.

Take good care of it and when the inspections and oil changes you negotiated run out, check out the manual and learn all sorts of money saving tips.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:25 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,211,967 times
Tell me about it. The transmission is horrible. I turned the car (2010 Camry LE) about 3 hours ago and glad of it. We put about 330 miles on it, but thankfully most of that was all freeway miles between Tennessee and South Carolina and back, so didnt have to deal with much of the shifting. Its horrible though, but the shifts are smooth. Under normal and steady acceleration it will shift OK from 1-2, then 2-3 occurs very quick and it will shift into 3rd-4th, then jump back to 3rd. So annoying. I did shift it manually once with its manual shift feature and naturally it shifted find then. The 09 Camry with 32K we rented last year was kinda like this, but not as bad. I was GLAD to get back in my 1991 Lexus LS400 with 224K miles to enjoy a smooth shifting transmission again-- NO JOKE!

If Toyota would put the same transmission that they used in the 1990-1994 Lexus LS400's there would never be any problems with their transmissions.

I am wondering if the transmission on the 2010 Camry we had, has programmed itself somehow to the previous drivers and that was why it was shifting like this? Also when first started, the engine makes a hammering sound until its warmed up.... wow and the car has 7200 miles. Also on rough pavement (which is not unavoidable in the Asheville area on I-26 and some of those rough bridges made the car make awful interior ticks and rattles. Also a constant jingling sound from the console area, which was the exact same sound the last Camry made. Also even on not-so-rough pavement, the car did not have a really tight interior. Seriously, my old 1987 Camry with 210K and my 1993 Camry with 215K miles had a quieter interior than this 2010 Camry. Also there was a rattling type sound coming from the driver window area that lasted for about 10 miles and it went away. Yes the window was up.

I would NOT pay $20K+ for a new Camry... give me a 1992 Camry with 7000 miles for $20K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
If you look at what you've written, it's a pretty damning statement ( and not one I'd necessarily disagree with). Shifting and flaring in a tranny is never normal. I worked on Hondas and Toyotas since the 80s, and while domestic quality has improved, Japanese quality has declined.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
From how you speak, you don't understand how a CVT works. It doesn't have "gears" and you will not feel the traditional "shift" feel like you do on a conventional automatic. I drive a Nissan CVT and while it took time to get used to the overall feeling, since it just "feels" different than any automatic, I love it! Nissan makes the best CVT transmissions out there.
Ive been around CVTs since they first started popping up in mainstream automobiles (namely the Civic HX). I understand how they work quite well, hence the reason I put the word gears in quotes, because there is no other way to put it. Read more carefully.

The stupid CVTs that Nissan offer are vague feeling, slow, hang onto redline for far too long, and are incredibly slow to react to your right foot's input. A regular automatic is a far better tool for daily driving. A manual trans is even better yet!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:02 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,622,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ive been around CVTs since they first started popping up in mainstream automobiles (namely the Civic HX). I understand how they work quite well, hence the reason I put the word gears in quotes, because there is no other way to put it. Read more carefully.

The stupid CVTs that Nissan offer are vague feeling, slow, hang onto redline for far too long, and are incredibly slow to react to your right foot's input. A regular automatic is a far better tool for daily driving. A manual trans is even better yet!
Anyone who knew anything about a CVT wouldn't have talked about "GEARS" in the first place. You are full of it. If anything, it's you who doesn't know what you are doing behind ANY wheel, so anything you say is worth nothing. Maybe you need to speak more carefully.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:05 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,901,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Anyone who knew anything about a CVT wouldn't have talked about "GEARS" in the first place. You are full of it. If anything, it's you who doesn't know what you are doing behind ANY wheel, so anything you say is worth nothing. Maybe you need to speak more carefully.
Looks like the 2 Steve's have a little battle between them

Old 10-18-2009, 08:16 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,622,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Looks like the 2 Steve's have a little battle between them
No battle here. Is it really worth it? NO. If he wants to he can reply, but I'm not going to waste my time any further. Sorry to disappoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive