Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:04 PM

674 posts, read 2,552,854 times

Advertisements

The battery is working fine, that I know for sure but it still wont start and it wont crank. If it does start it will stall randomly, either right away or after driving it 10 ft. or after driving it 50 miles. Looking around the web I found this:

Quote:
Hard starting: Corroded electrical connector under the driver's seat can cause hard starting, stalling, and improper fuel gauge readings. (2000-02)
Exactly what the van is doing because it also says that it's low on fuel even though it has plenty. I looked under both seats and unplugged and inspected all the cables but they all look clean. It doesn't have any blown fuses either, if it did it probably wouldn't start at all I'm thinking. I don't know what else to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 03:05 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,115 times
sounds to me like you have a ground wire that is corroded and heating up, or a loose circuit connection, try some dielectric cleaner and some dielectric grease in the connectors... ill brb, gonna look in shopkey

Old 10-21-2009, 03:10 PM

apparently that connector is subject to water damage, as where it passes through the floor of the vehicle is not sealed from the outside

look under the vehicle at the rear of the drivers seat, that is the connector you are looking for
it will probably be corroded and have spread female terminals, the TSB says the female ends need replaced, because if you repair them, it will happen again

tsb 01-08-45-005e

Old 10-21-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
apparently that connector is subject to water damage, as where it passes through the floor of the vehicle is not sealed from the outside

look under the vehicle at the rear of the drivers seat, that is the connector you are looking for
it will probably be corroded and have spread female terminals, the TSB says the female ends need replaced, because if you repair them, it will happen again

tsb 01-08-45-005e
[s]Under the van, not under the seat?[/s] Nevermind, it's under the seat. What is this connector called and can I get it at any auto parts store or dealership only?

Last edited by MaxPower123; 10-21-2009 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Ponitac Trans Sport Montana electrical problem. (Pontiac Montana Electrical Battery Electrical)

I think the Trans-Sport is essentially the same car. Apparently the connector is inside the car under the rear of the driver's seat, maybe your passengers are tracking in water, maybe it's leaking in where the wires go from inside the car to outside.

HTH.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:06 PM

it is under the seat, gm says you can access it from outside without pulling the seat id imagine

apparently there is a hole in the floor where the harness passes through and water can spray up into the connector

that will be a dealer item

Old 10-21-2009, 04:07 PM

Pictures from a Pontiac Aztek: C305-Ectomy (Lots of pics)

I assume it will be the same deal with the Venture, right?

Old 10-21-2009, 04:11 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
The Aztek is one of the afflicted cars for the TSB, so should be similar.

Me, I'd try to clean up the connector real good with Contact Gold, which you can get at Radio Shack.

Then again I am OK with it "coming back" so to speak, if I have to work on it a couple of times it's not the end of the world, like a "come back" is at a pro shop.

I'd try to figure out some good way to better seal up the hole that's letting it get wet.

With you being in Phoenix, I wouldn't expect much corrosion. Full disclosure - while I have fought and beat many electrical gremlins, I have never been hands-on with this particular job.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 10-21-2009 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Phoenix

Old 10-21-2009, 04:14 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
From the parts vantage point (the dealer), those connectors are a b**** - we just have ~20 Delphi and Kent-Moore boxes of connectors to dig through.

Bring your old one.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The Aztek is one of the afflicted cars for the TSB, so should be similar.

Me, I'd try to clean up the connector real good with Contact Gold, which you can get at Radio Shack.

Then again I am OK with it "coming back" so to speak, if I have to work on it a couple of times it's not the end of the world, like a "come back" is at a pro shop.

I'd try to figure out some good way to better seal up the hole that's letting it get wet.

With you being in Phoenix, I wouldn't expect much corrosion. Full disclosure - while I have fought and beat many electrical gremlins, I have never been hands-on with this particular job.
The van belongs to my mom and they spill things in it all the time. Juice, soda, chips, etc. Because of that she cleans the carpets often with her carpet cleaner, meaning she gets the carpets soaking wet.

If I can get to the connector from underneath the van without problems then I'll try cleaning it but if I have to remove the seat then I'll just go ahead and replace the connector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive