Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:58 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,227,348 times

Advertisements

I've read insurance studies that indicate, in panic stop situations, most people using the two-feet method stomp down with both feet. I'll have to do some searching but I'll post the link when I find it. Even if your used to driving a manual, you still hit the break with your right foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 12:45 AM

365 posts, read 1,402,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
That may be the case with some, granted. Myself though, the left foot doesn't sit above the pedal, it sits planted on the floor to the left of the pedal and raised when required.

Some people can write with both hands, some can drive with two feet and not be dolts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Exactly. It's kind of similar to being taught to drive with two hands on the steering wheel. We were taught to do that but how many really hold the steering wheel with both hands except when turning?
So if you're not hovering your left foot over the brake pedal, how it would take less effort to return your left foot to the brake pedal than removing your right foot from the accelerator to apply the brakes? Rolling your right foot from the gas to the brake requires much less effort. I don't recall getting a sore right leg from using one foot to drive, even on long extended trips across country... ever.

Granted, it has been 20 some odd years since I took a drivers education course but I don't recall them recommending me to use my left foot for anything other than depressing the clutch.

Last edited by Cisco GT; 10-26-2009 at 01:00 AM..

Old 10-26-2009, 01:27 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwoodsZJ View Post
So if you're not hovering your left foot over the brake pedal, how it would take less effort to return your left foot to the brake pedal than removing your right foot from the accelerator to apply the brakes? Rolling your right foot from the gas to the brake requires much less effort. I don't recall getting a sore right leg from using one foot to drive, even on long extended trips across country... ever.

Granted, it has been 20 some odd years since I took a drivers education course but I don't recall them recommending me to use my left foot for anything other than depressing the clutch.
I hover my left foot over the brake pedal when I think I will be using the brakes a lot, like in heavy traffic, stop-and-go freeway driving and in parking lots.

On long stretches of straight roads and freeway driving with light traffic, I keep my left foot on the floor near the brake pedal.

I don't remember how it was taught in driver's ed, but as long as a 2-footed person can drive safely that way, it is not a problem. I am proof of that (30 years of driving and no on-the-road accidents).

Old 10-26-2009, 01:38 AM

I'm not understanding your arguement at all, Fleet... How could hovering your left leg over the brake peddle be less taxing than using one foot for double duty?

I never enjoyed doing the dying cockroach in the military, which sounds an awful lot like your leg placement/driving style... lol

Old 10-26-2009, 02:07 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
I'm not understanding your arguement at all, Fleet... How could hovering your left leg over the brake peddle be less taxing than using one foot for double duty?

I never enjoyed doing the dying cockroach in the military, which sounds an awful lot like your leg placement/driving style... lol
I actually don't even think about 2 foot driving; I'm so used to it, I do it naturally.

I remember once my mom driving through a parking lot, with cars driving through and in between lanes. She was a right foot driver and I saw her moving her foot back and forth over the brake and accelerator because she wasn't sure which one she would need first. With me, with one foot over each pedal, I didn't have to do that.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I actually don't even think about 2 foot driving; I'm so used to it, I do it naturally.

I remember once my mom driving through a parking lot, with cars driving through and in between lanes. She was a right foot driver and I saw her moving her foot back and forth over the brake and accelerator because she wasn't sure which one she would need first. With me, with one foot over each pedal, I didn't have to do that.
I'd imagine so, after 30 years.

I guess what scares me the most about this manner of driving is the level of insecurity that's involved. While this may not apply directly to you, I feel it does for a large percentage of the people that drive this way. Being so unsure about what's going on around you to the point where you constantly hover over the brake proves nervousness, which means you're more than likely on edge & obviously uncomfortable while driving. To me that just makes matters worse.

I can recall a few recent instances while driving into work where I got stuck behind someone who was constantly on & off & on the brakes again to the point where I eventually ignored thier brakes lights, only to have to stuff my pedal through the floor when they were genuinely slowing/stopping.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:46 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,879,478 times
Quote:
I'd imagine so, after 30 years.

I guess what scares me the most about this manner of driving is the level of insecurity that's involved. While this may not apply directly to you, I feel it does for a large percentage of the people that drive this way. Being so unsure about what's going on around you to the point where you constantly hover over the brake proves nervousness, which means you're more than likely on edge & obviously uncomfortable while driving. To me that just makes matters worse.

I can recall a few recent instances while driving into work where I got stuck behind someone who was constantly on & off & on the brakes again to the point where I eventually ignored thier brakes lights, only to have to stuff my pedal through the floor when they were genuinely slowing/stopping.
I've driven with two feet since my first car. It was a '65 Malibu with a 327 and a powerglide. I put a 375 hp Vette cam in it and from that point on I was a two foot driver because it wouldn't idle at a stop. Way too much duration for an automatic. It sounded good but I think it actually had more power with the stock cam

I got in the habit of two feet driving then and have never changed to this day. I don't "hover" over the brake pedal unless maybe driving through a parking lot. And no, not insecure or nervous, just being careful.

And what makes you think that if someone's constantly on and off and on their brakes that they have to be using two feet?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:07 AM

11 posts, read 22,694 times
My initial smart-arsed answer was going to be "Nope, I'm 6'2" tall, don't know how you would see over the steering wheel if you were only 2 foot."

ha ha, my thought at first as well. just driving by this thread. Have a good day all.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
I've driven with two feet since my first car. It was a '65 Malibu with a 327 and a powerglide. I put a 375 hp Vette cam in it and from that point on I was a two foot driver because it wouldn't idle at a stop. Way too much duration for an automatic. It sounded good but I think it actually had more power with the stock cam

I got in the habit of two feet driving then and have never changed to this day. I don't "hover" over the brake pedal unless maybe driving through a parking lot. And no, not insecure or nervous, just being careful.

And what makes you think that if someone's constantly on and off and on their brakes that they have to be using two feet?
I remember those days... the more cam the better! It didn't matter if the car ran right, no one wanted anything to do with a car that was shaking body shims loose... instant intimidation & the girls loved it too! Thanks for the memories w/that one!

Usually it's pretty easy to figure out that they're using two feet to drive when the car is staying at an even pace, or worse yet... gaining speed with the brake lights illuminated .

There are certain instances (like yours) that require using two feet... Once upon a time a friend & I rescued a 69 Nova from a farmers property. We spent an hour or so getting the thing running so we could drive it home instead of emptying the car hauler. Long story short, the accelerator pump stuck but at least the brakes worked... which I operated with my left foot while kicking the go pedal with my right! Come to think of it... that happened more than a couple times... Good times!!

Last edited by Cisco GT; 10-26-2009 at 12:55 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 06:54 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
I drive with no feet on either pedal!

I use hand controls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive