Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:24 PM

589 posts, read 7,646,713 times

Advertisements

The other day I was talking to a friend who just returned home from a trip to Eastern Europe. Amongst the things he talked about was a rather unique little pickup truck called a Logan. This little rocket is made by Dacia, the Romanian subsiduary of the Nissan-Renault alliance.

Dimitri was quite taken by the simple yet clean and well designed little truck. He described it as being similar in many ways to a very much refined Subaru Brat. The layout of the cab is well executed, the seating VERY comfortable and overall driveability was excellent (for what is basically a mini-truck). I asked him if the quality was where it should be or if this was just a glorified Yugo, Dimitri assured me that the engineering and assembly workmanship was more than satisfactory and displayed more than just a bit of the Nissan influence.

The particular truck he was driving came equipped with a 1.6 liter, 5 speed and sport (?) suspension. Inside it had the comforts of air and cruise in addition to a very nice sound system. There had been an upgrade to wider tires on non-stock rims but Dimitri didn't know if it was ordered that way or if the rental company had added the bigger meats & rims later. He was surprised to learn that the sweet little street blaster sold, brand new, for only $10,000 US.

I'm thinking there are a lot of people in very different situations who would definitely find the Logan to be just what the doctor ordered. Not just florists, couriers, parts stores, etc. but just about anyone on a smaller budget who could use a versatile little runabout that will haul just about everything you need to get from point A to point B. It would be perfect for the single guy/girl or a couple that doesn't need seating for six in a full-sized land yacht pickup, even if it's just to load up the gear and head off to the lake for the weekend.

From what I've been able to tell by analyzing the engineering specs online meeting crash worthiness and safety standards shouldn't be a problem for the Logan. Possibly the emissions from the European designed 1.6 liter, but Nissan has several current engines already marketed in North America that would be a natural for this little roadburner.

So, what's my question? Well, I'm left to ask; why hasn't Nissan seen fit to offer this model here in North America? With only the Mazda B series/Ford Ranger and GM's Colorado/Canyon presently available for small truck availability in this market...it would seem a shoe in. Does anyone know why or have any ideas?

I fired off a couple of inquiries about this to Renault but haven't heard back yet...maybe because I've been doing too much French bashing in the "On This Day in History" thread over in the History forum.

http://www.insideline.com/dacia/loga...an-pickup.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:42 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
1. The market/segment has long outgrown 1.6L 4 cylinders.

2. $10,000 USD is probably a ton of cash in Romania. Probably not for long considering how our dollar is being butchered, but that's another thread for another time/forum. Anyway, I bet $10,000 USD gets you a relative tin can on the streets, but since you don't see (I suppose) a ton of SUVs and people who put them to use over there, that might be a sufficiently safe vehicle there.

I will have to assume that someone did the market research and figured the Subaru Baja is a very small niche vehicle. One that pretty much only Subie feels like tackling.

Of course, Nissan has to feel that the much more utilitarian Frontier does not work. I doubt that is the case.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
it looks like a really small version of a GMC/holden ute/ El Camino

Old 10-24-2009, 09:27 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Grouch View Post
Well, I'm left to ask; why hasn't Nissan seen fit to offer this model here in North America? With only the Mazda B series/Ford Ranger and GM's Colorado/Canyon presently available for small truck availability in this market...it would seem a shoe in. Does anyone know why or have any ideas?

I think they won't bring it to America because it's ugly. It looks like someone chopped the back of a minivan off. If automakers start selling utes in the U.S. then they will probably look more like this.

http://www.fuelcontrol.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/FuelControlXR8-Utes-1024x600.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-24-2009, 09:32 PM

yup I would not mind this the 2011 El Camino SS with the Camaro 6.2 422HP V-8 and a 6-speed

Old 10-24-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
I think they won't bring it to America because it's ugly. It looks like someone chopped the back of a minivan off. If automakers start selling utes in the U.S. then they will probably look more like this.
what motor can you get in those ford utesdown there the SOHC 4.6 3 valve out of our mustangs or can you get the 5.4 as an option?

Old 10-24-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yup I would not mind this the 2011 El Camino SS with the Camaro 6.2 422HP V-8 and a 6-speed

Will it be sold in the U.S.? The El Camino is overdue for a comeback.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
what motor can you get in those ford utesdown there the SOHC 4.6 3 valve out of our mustangs or can you get the 5.4 as an option?

Yup, the 5.4 4v is an option in an XR8. The next step down is an I6 turbo.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:46 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
Will it be sold in the U.S.? The El Camino is overdue for a comeback.
So, you say the fuel and space efficient Romanian truck won't come to the U.S. because it is 'ugly'. Never mind that with 90 hp. it would likely get well over 30 mpg and be a useful package.

But, you want the big gas guzzler because you think it is cool?

I would would love to see both of them sold here, each has its purpose. Styling has never been a big priority for me, I tend to like what a vehicle can do. The Romanian one would be very useful and economical for some of the things I do. The Holden would be and absolute hoot to drive and still haul my garbage to the dump.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:54 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
One has to ask if the vehicle would meet USA safety and emissions standards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive