Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Do You Get Your Parts?
Autozone 12 31.58%
Advance 7 18.42%
Other Chain Store(Pep Boys,Etc.) 4 10.53%
Internet Retailer 0 0%
Local Independent 7 18.42%
Various Retailers 8 21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:54 PM

105 posts, read 147,761 times

Advertisements

My parents owned a small, independent AP store, and I grew up around it. My observations are, back in the day, the countermen/ladies knew cars and parts and could help the customer's diagnose their problems, sell them the correct parts, and tell them how to fix the cars. They could whip through those three foot long counter top catalog racks, and come up with the correct parts in minutes, those that they didn't already have memorized.
Today the chain stores hire anyone who has a pulse and can operate a computer. Most have only a basic knowledge of vehicles or parts, but can fight their way through the computer questions. Don't ask them a question, because they don't have a clue. You want a part, the computer says.......
There are a few throw backs around, if you can find one. Some NAPA stores operate the old fashion way, with knowledgeable people, but chain stores are a toss up..
Just an observation from an outsider...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 05:29 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,416,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginagirl View Post
Don't ask them a question, because they don't have a clue. You want a part, the computer says.......
There are a few throw backs around, if you can find one. Some NAPA stores operate the old fashion way, with knowledgeable people, but chain stores are a toss up..
True, if you're using a chain like Advance, it is best if you know what you need before you go in as many don't speak auto parts. Case in point, years ago I was in need of a pickle fork as someone hooked mine and didn't return it. Asked the guy behind the counter if they stocked them. The look of "huh" was almost priceless.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:08 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Quote:
My parents owned a small, independent AP store, and I grew up around it. My observations are, back in the day, the countermen/ladies knew cars and parts and could help the customer's diagnose their problems, sell them the correct parts, and tell them how to fix the cars. They could whip through those three foot long counter top catalog racks, and come up with the correct parts in minutes, those that they didn't already have memorized.
Today the chain stores hire anyone who has a pulse and can operate a computer. Most have only a basic knowledge of vehicles or parts, but can fight their way through the computer questions. Don't ask them a question, because they don't have a clue. You want a part, the computer says.......
This is a ++10.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:50 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,693 times
Quote:
Some NAPA stores operate the old fashion way, with knowledgeable people, but chain stores are a toss up..
Yup, my local NAPA is that way, the old guy that used to be there was incredible, and the new guy is pretty good too.

So, I give them my business, even if I could save a buck or two at one of the chains down the hill.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
True, if you're using a chain like Advance, it is best if you know what you need before you go in as many don't speak auto parts. Case in point, years ago I was in need of a pickle fork as someone hooked mine and didn't return it. Asked the guy behind the counter if they stocked them. The look of "huh" was almost priceless.
Its funny because the database they use in the store is the same format (or at least was) as the one on the net. You can watch them browse for the part... I often need to help them do their job, especially if they cant find it and they just say they dont have it.... nope you do!

Old 11-10-2009, 04:48 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
There is an excellent import parts store in a nearby town, I do a lot of business with them because they are knowledgeable and have "premium" ie German-made parts for BMW and VW cars, rather than Chinese knock-offs, and I don't have to specifiy I want German parts. I also buy from Bavarian Auto, from La Jolla Independent, and Maximillian Imports.

Interestingly, the local NAPA in our small town has most of the wear parts I need/want.

I do buy from AutoZone occasionally, as noted on a Sunday afternoon no one else is open.

I do get batteries, fuses, bulbs, oil and filters from Bi-Mart.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:32 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times
When I lived in California I worked at a Kragen Auto Parts store as a first assistant mgr. The guys over at the other competitor stores (Pep-Boys, Napa and of course Autozone [which we used to refer as homozone]) used to call our store to ask basic mechanical questions like why would a battery drain out, my customer's car won't start and such.
Ever since I always go to the dealership to get OEM parts for my car.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:39 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Someone earlier wondered why some parts stores don't stay open late and are closed on Sundays. It's because they probably sell quality parts and don't mess with do-it-yourselfer's.
Professional auto techs can't stand bad parts guys, and good parts guys have lives and families to live outside of work. To them, it's a career, not just some gig to get them by for a while.

At my shop, we do some business with places like Autozone and Advance, but they're not our biggest supplier. If you ever put things like axle seals on Japanese cars, you'll know why. OEM is the only way to go there.
The quality of the part is the top consideration. Sorry, but the aftermarket simply can't compete with OEM on a lot of things.
Next, you need that good parts guy. Unfortunately, dealerships don't always hire the best parts personnel. That's where the choices become tough. The best parts people usually work for independents or maybe places like Carquest or NAPA. The best parts people also know a thing or two about cars.

If you specialize in certain areas, such as cooling systems, you know where the best place is to get a quality radiator. You're not going to get that type of thing from a typical parts store.
If you work on transmissions, you know that national chains have next to nothing to offer. Nothing's more irritating than buying a filter/gasket kit from some goofball place like Autozone. Rubber gaskets? Really? All nice and wadded up in a little box? That'll never leak... naaahhhh. I had one guy at a place like that tell me that they don't make cork gaskets for transmissions anymore. Oh freakin' my. "I've heard McDonald's is hiring", I wanted to tell him. Poor guy.

To find the best parts, you have to shop around. You have to know who sells the best stuff for whatever part of the car you're working on. Dealerships sell good stuff, obviously. Fit and finish will not be a problem. You can find parts as good as, if not better, than what the dealerships offer. When I say "better", I mean somebody's come up with a genuine improvement to a specific part.
Anybody can sell you a good spark plug. For that, O'Rielly's is fine.
Not just anybody can sell you a good starter, even with their cutesy "leveled" offerings.

For general stuff like fluids and filters, O'Reilly's is my personal choice. I think it's the go-against-the-grain green color scheme that pulls me in.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,416,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Someone earlier wondered why some parts stores don't stay open late and are closed on Sundays.......

.....Unfortunately, dealerships don't always hire the best parts personnel.....

.....I had one guy at a place like that tell me that they don't make cork gaskets for transmissions anymore.....
For the open late/Sundays bit.....a lot of the better independents around here rely on having a good list of indy garages they supply for. That's the meat on the table, having a solid rep with those guys. The local Napa wagons are rolling all day long from garage to garage delivering.

For the dealership bit....you mean like the Chrysler tech who said I'd have to wait six months for them to maybe find e-brake pads for the '90 Lebaron and that I'd probably pay about $160 for the set? Like that guy?

For the "they don't make 'em" line.....like the kid at Advance who said they don't make e-brake pads anymore? That kid right?

Told my indy guy that. He called Napa who asked how many sets I wanted. They only had four in stock at the nearest store, $48 a set.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Where I get my parts depends on what I'm getting and what I'm getting it for.

I typically use the local O Reillys or the "drive 10 miles to the next town" Autozone for things like filters, wiper blades, etc.

I just did recently buy a new radiator thru Autozone, not because I wanted to but they were the only ones to sell me the same part cheaper than Napa and O Reillys and have me a guarantee day by said date.

Now when it comes to parts such as starters, alternators and water pumps, I try not to buy from Autozone...have had one too many bad experiences, especially if it's a "rebuilt" part. In fact for these parts I prefer Napa or Car Quest. And avoid rebuilt parts from chain stores if you can. New or remanned is what you want.

And if it's something like an 02 sensor I prefer factory stuff. I went thru 2 O Reillys Bosch sensors before buying an AC Delco sensor online and not having anymore SES lights come on or terrible fuel economy (12 mpg!!!) out of a small engine.

If I'm getting a high performance part, I buy from Summit....or in the case of some of the specilized turbo Buick parts, I rely on various turbo Buick vendors online.

I will admit it's a shame the old ma and pa stores are now a dying breed....it beats the clowns who work at Autozone/O Reillys/Advance that only know how to punch in on a computer and ask you silly irrelevant questions because some genious programmed the computer to ask if your car is a 2WD or a 4WD when you are looking up the part number for the dome lamp bulb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive