Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Do You Get Your Parts?
Autozone 12 31.58%
Advance 7 18.42%
Other Chain Store(Pep Boys,Etc.) 4 10.53%
Internet Retailer 0 0%
Local Independent 7 18.42%
Various Retailers 8 21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:00 PM

10 posts, read 40,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I do a lot of side work out of my home and I mainly use a local independent shop. When you start using one of these places and they see you coming in once or twice a week for parts they start hooking you up with not charging you tax and giving you breaks on things. Once they get to know you they will also order parts for you with a phone call without making you waste a trip there to leave a deposit. Sometimes I have to wait a day for them to get what I need in but I do not mind. Before I started using them I was going to Autozone often. If they see you going in there twice a week the most they will do for you is say "hello" and ask how you are doing. The independent store treats me more like a valued customer.

I also own a 1968 Chrysler Newport and have always had a hard time getting certain parts for it (wheel cylinders, drums, etc.) and this same independent shop has located everything I have needed for it so far. It took them four days to locate the new wheel cylinders for me but I was grateful since Autozone, Pep Boys and Napa told me they do not make them any longer.
I order parts for the regulars all the time without deposit because i do know that they will surely pick it up. Sometimes i just order the parts because they just don't have the money at the time and also when they want to see if that is really what they need when no picture on the Computer is available. It's a troubleshooting type of thing and i can always send it back....We have many regulars that come in and it's really almost like a little family at our work. You really get to know people and the same people and it's nice to hear that friendly "Hello" from them and it's not always about car parts...It's about life in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Good for you. My daughter is a parts manager for a major parts house and has been in the business for close to 20 years.

Oh, and like you, she knows her stuff.
Good for her
Nobody knows it all and every day i learn and glad that i do learn

Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
I've got some news for a few people here that are NOT familiar with the old style parts books/cataloges. They have more info and cross references then what has been programmed into a computer.

I need a part for a side draft Weber carb that is on a VW turbo charged custom performance engine.

Webers were used on Ferrari,Fiat,Citron,Fords,Lamborghini,Lancia,Lotus ,Maserati,Porsche,Renault.

My Weber book shows all the carbs part numbers. Maybe the dealers would be the only place to find this info.

Still have my old Weber parts books that give the part number and different applications. This info would NOT be on the computer in any parts house but only shown in any old books they may have.

My experience has been that salesmen come by and throw out the old books and replace with new copies. That is partially how I got some of my old books which are worth a fortune in information.

As time goes by the old info is removed due to lack of sales and gradually replaced with that of the new models on the mkt.

Some sales counter people have NO idea about some cars as they have never been a mechanic and only know a little based upon personal experience on their own vehicles. They have never worked on a OLD car that is 30-40 yrs old which may have a part that is used on a later model due to a carryover on the assembly line. A part for one car may also fit on another make but with a different part number. Have seen this as a few others like myself probably have also noticed.

So...if a person goes to a parts house and they do not seem to have what you want on the computer...ask them to look up any info in a book and watch their facial response. Some old timers in the auto parts field will know what your talking about and may be able to help via memory.

Steve

Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
what do you expect to be in the books that is not in the computer? the books contain no magic secrets, just the same part numbers found on the computers.

Mike
Not really... And I know this for a fact as far as Advance goes. The only database they use is exactly what is found on their website.... that's it. I know this because I often have to navigate the clerk himself to find a part that he can't. All of their stores around here have the counter monitors facing both the clerk and customer. Autozone and especially Pepboys certainly don't have any better computer systems. The only parts places that know what they're doing are the franchise ones like Napa or PartsPlus. Often they have custom systems that have EVERYTHING in them, usually takes someone with know-how to get the hard to find parts...

That said, ALL of the parts stores have the parts "Bibles" as I call them. Its a magic secret to them because little do the chain store clerks know, theres parts in there that are not on the computer! Those books have everything in them... discrete body part numbers, clips, fasteners, harnesses, hardware, seals etc..... tons of little stuff that common parts buyer doesn't care about.

Their computer systems are heavily abbreviated compared to what they have access to.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 AM

Remember people that most Auto Parts stores only pay 8$-9$ bucks an hour and it's really not the Counter persons fault they are not experienced with no incentive in place. HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:40 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Not really... And I know this for a fact as far as Advance goes. The only database they use is exactly what is found on their website.... that's it. I know this because I often have to navigate the clerk himself to find a part that he can't. All of their stores around here have the counter monitors facing both the clerk and customer. Autozone and especially Pepboys certainly don't have any better computer systems. The only parts places that know what they're doing are the franchise ones like Napa or PartsPlus. Often they have custom systems that have EVERYTHING in them, usually takes someone with know-how to get the hard to find parts...

That said, ALL of the parts stores have the parts "Bibles" as I call them. Its a magic secret to them because little do the chain store clerks know, theres parts in there that are not on the computer! Those books have everything in them... discrete body part numbers, clips, fasteners, harnesses, hardware, seals etc..... tons of little stuff that common parts buyer doesn't care about.

Their computer systems are heavily abbreviated compared to what they have access to.
OK, but as the guy who has stood behind that counter for years (not now, it was a PT job through HS and college) I can tell you that is not always the case. Yes, I will agree that the books can POTENTIALLY have more info than the computer. Maybe. It obviously depends on who wrote the computer database's info and what kind of info was in the catalog to transfer in the first place. Most of the time, though, what's in the catalog is what is in the computer. And also, while the book may have a PN the computer does not, it most often is because we cannot get that part.

Here's a classic example I would get all the time: some fellow gearhead would come in asking for the widget off a 1973 Acme Peesajunk. So, I'd plug the pertinent info into the computer and would get PN 12345. I would pull widget PN 12345 from the shelf and hand it to the customer who would then go into some long tirade about how the widget I just handed him is not the right one and how society's demise can be linked to when auto parts stores embraced the 21st century with modern electronics versus looking it up the old-fashioned way like they used to back when gas cost a nickel. So i would sigh, pull the tattered Widget catalog from under the counter (usually after searching for it for 10 minutes because we all know how well parts guys keep stuff organized) and flip open to the page for a 1973 Acme Peesajunk. Well, what do you know? It lists the PN for a Widget as 12345. No kidding. Where do you think the info in the computer came from? And yet, somehow, by seeing the info on dead tree pulp versus on that big scary flashy thingy, the customer suddenly is sympathetic if not apologetic.

And as long as i am ranting, let's talk about those times when you're working on that custom one-off project in the driveway. I don't care if it's a catalog or a computer because they all work the same way when it comes to looking up the part number. I need a year, make, and model. Yes, OCCASSIONALLY there may be a way to cross-reference what you gave me based on a PN that might be on the part (and guess what? that cross reference info is in the computer, too), but most of the time there isn't. And it doesn't help to tell me it came off a SR20 or a C6 or a SBC. Sure, as a car guy i know what cars those may have come out of (sometimes), but it's not as if i know them all and it's not as though those parts stayed the exact same throughout its production lifespan. So even if the GM alternator you want is going onto a Ford small-block that's sitting in a Hudson frame, i still need the year, make, and model of the vehicle from which you would like that alternator to come from. believe it or not, having memorized every alternator known to man was not a question on the hiring interview.

Mike

PS - Just so everyone knows, I actually am that guy who WILL go through parts in the back one-by-one or call anyone (even the competitor) if it means helping you out. These are just frustrations of the job is all.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:33 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
OK, but as the guy who has stood behind that counter for years (not now, it was a PT job through HS and college) I can tell you that is not always the case. Yes, I will agree that the books can POTENTIALLY have more info than the computer. Maybe. It obviously depends on who wrote the computer database's info and what kind of info was in the catalog to transfer in the first place. Most of the time, though, what's in the catalog is what is in the computer. And also, while the book may have a PN the computer does not, it most often is because we cannot get that part.

Here's a classic example I would get all the time: some fellow gearhead would come in asking for the widget off a 1973 Acme Peesajunk. So, I'd plug the pertinent info into the computer and would get PN 12345. I would pull widget PN 12345 from the shelf and hand it to the customer who would then go into some long tirade about how the widget I just handed him is not the right one and how society's demise can be linked to when auto parts stores embraced the 21st century with modern electronics versus looking it up the old-fashioned way like they used to back when gas cost a nickel. So i would sigh, pull the tattered Widget catalog from under the counter (usually after searching for it for 10 minutes because we all know how well parts guys keep stuff organized) and flip open to the page for a 1973 Acme Peesajunk. Well, what do you know? It lists the PN for a Widget as 12345. No kidding. Where do you think the info in the computer came from? And yet, somehow, by seeing the info on dead tree pulp versus on that big scary flashy thingy, the customer suddenly is sympathetic if not apologetic.

And as long as i am ranting, let's talk about those times when you're working on that custom one-off project in the driveway. I don't care if it's a catalog or a computer because they all work the same way when it comes to looking up the part number. I need a year, make, and model. Yes, OCCASSIONALLY there may be a way to cross-reference what you gave me based on a PN that might be on the part (and guess what? that cross reference info is in the computer, too), but most of the time there isn't. And it doesn't help to tell me it came off a SR20 or a C6 or a SBC. Sure, as a car guy i know what cars those may have come out of (sometimes), but it's not as if i know them all and it's not as though those parts stayed the exact same throughout its production lifespan. So even if the GM alternator you want is going onto a Ford small-block that's sitting in a Hudson frame, i still need the year, make, and model of the vehicle from which you would like that alternator to come from. believe it or not, having memorized every alternator known to man was not a question on the hiring interview.

Mike

PS - Just so everyone knows, I actually am that guy who WILL go through parts in the back one-by-one or call anyone (even the competitor) if it means helping you out. These are just frustrations of the job is all.
Going out of their way to help you by trying many different sources to find the part is something I find the independent stores do more than the larger chains which is one of the reasons I prefer them. This was the case with the 1968 Chrysler parts I needed. Rather then try to tell me nobody makes them any longer, such as the larger chain stores did, the independent store took the time to search many different sources to FIND them for me.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:27 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
Going out of their way to help you by trying many different sources to find the part is something I find the independent stores do more than the larger chains which is one of the reasons I prefer them. This was the case with the 1968 Chrysler parts I needed. Rather then try to tell me nobody makes them any longer, such as the larger chain stores did, the independent store took the time to search many different sources to FIND them for me.
no argument here. the smaller shops are usually much more willing to work through the avenues needed to get those harder-to-find parts. the big chains work through their major suppliers. if the supplier doesn't have it, then the store just won't offer it.

Mike

Old 12-25-2009, 09:42 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrencher View Post
Remember people that most Auto Parts stores only pay 8$-9$ bucks an hour and it's really not the Counter persons fault they are not experienced with no incentive in place. HAPPY HOLIDAYS.
True.

But that's one of the things I actually like - a lot - about the O'Reilly's store I go to. I'm not sure how they've managed to do it, but they have retained many of the same employees for a lot of years. It's great to be able to walk in and see the same people, smart off at them a little, talk business and figure things out.

I also like the fact that O'Reilly's (or at least this one) carries the more expensive name-brand parts, but also cheaper store-brand parts. Nice to be able to have choices!

On a weird side note... I'm in a black area of town. Virtually all the customers at this O'Reilly's - as well as almost all the employees - are black. But most of the time when I go in there, they have the Rush Limbaugh show on. What the heck?

Old 12-26-2009, 09:07 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,207 times
Checkers or whatever is open at the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive