Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:18 AM

366 posts, read 1,373,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Not as much as you'd think, a GMC Yukon XL SLT with a fair amount of options is going to run about $53,000 MSRP compared to the already fully-loaded GMC Yukon Denali XL has an MSRP around $57,000. $4,000 difference isn't much for what you get, trust me before I bought mine I compared .

Now if you're talking from Denali to an Escalade...wow!
Why not buy a year old one and save $20,000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 02:36 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
I'm just leery of buying pre-owned vehicles. My dad taught me that you never know what the previous owner did to it and you don't get a factory warranty if something goes wrong. Besides, I like to be the first person to own and take care of what I drive. Unfortunately when I bought my '05 'Vette I couldn't afford to buy a brand new one without trading in my '07 Denali (which wasn't going to happen).

Buying a new vehicle every few years isn't for everyone, but I guess it's all about priorities.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:46 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Not as much as you'd think, a GMC Yukon XL SLT with a fair amount of options is going to run about $53,000 MSRP compared to the already fully-loaded GMC Yukon Denali XL has an MSRP around $57,000. $4,000 difference isn't much for what you get, trust me before I bought mine I compared .

Now if you're talking from Denali to an Escalade...wow!
That $4 grand when financed can be big dollars for nothing really. Sure, it is a matter of personal preference but it's also extremely poor money management when there is a cheaper alternative that is the same vehicle with a different name from the same car company..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
This is one way to make your dreams come true on a working mans pay. One also needs to consider that no one but you will know ,or care, if your vehicle is "new" or not. All the bang for fewer bucks that you can use later for something else. One secret few people know is that a well kept clean car is way more impressive than a new car 90% of the time no matter how old it is.

As an example, I get compliments all the time on my vehicles 'cause they are both clean & well kept. My son just bought a 2003 Avalon (a $35,000 car new!) for $10 grand and I defy anyone to tell me it's age because it was a well kept car by the first owner.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Different strokes for different folks is what it is.I also buy new and sale myself when they get older. Remember that all those used vehicles where once bought new by someone . If you can afford it ;I say buy new.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:54 PM

106 posts, read 288,484 times
Range Rover Supercharged.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
So my husband and I are looking for a full size SUV to buy next spring and we are a little lost! Our 3 choices are the Lincoln Navigator, Yukon XL, and Toyota Sequioa. Thoughts on any of these and advice would be EXTREMELY helpful!!!

Thanks in advance!
Expedition is the best SUV. By far.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:
I'm just leery of buying pre-owned vehicles. My dad taught me that you never know what the previous owner did to it and you don't get a factory warranty if something goes wrong.

I thought the '08+ GM SUV's have a 100k warranty, transferable once. I've seen this written on lots of used vehicle ads around here.

I'm looking at something like this... an '08 Tahoe with 36k miles, base model with 3rd row. Can find a white one in great shape for $21-22k if you look hard enough... With 64k miles warranty to go. I'll add my own tint, stereo/DVD, etc, send it in for a $200 detail job if need be. If the deal is good enough I'll buy it out of state. I work on my own rides and this is looking like an attractive option for the near future. If my Intrepid that everyone keeps saying is a piece of ****, but has treated me well for 160k (and still going BTW), then I figure the Tahoe should make it to 200k easy, maybe even 250k.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:03 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL63 View Post
Range Rover Supercharged.
I don't think $130K range rover counts

Old 11-11-2009, 07:46 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
Take it from someone who owned one: Full size GM SUV's cannot be beat. Toyota has nothing on the value & reliability of a Suburban/Yukon. Go with the Yukon XL!!!
Um, well, uhh, I've worked in repair shops for the better part of 15 years. We'll take in anything. Rarely see Toyota's and other Japanese makes, routinely see GM's and other American makes.... in a part of town where's it's 50/50 American/Imports.

I love my country, but we've got to figure out how to build better cars.
That whole line about the "closing of the gap" has been thrown around for 10-20 years, yet simply isn't being seen in repair shops. American cars have improved, but not nearly enough.

As for those GM's, well, the 4L60E tranny's in those things are notoriously unreliable. Can't complain too much. They pay the bills and then some.

Too many of the newer concepts in large SUV's are just gaudy, hideous, and downright goofy. Think Hummer, Escalade, Excursion...

The good ones, the ones you could take off-road and do it well, those are the ones like the Land Rovers, Range Rovers and Land Cruisers. Of those, the Toyota Land Cruiser is the only one that would be considered reliable. It's downright legendary.

Last edited by northbound74; 11-11-2009 at 08:03 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,145 times
We had a full size American SUV and the first year of ownership was great. After two years of taking it to the dealership for its monthly breakdown and staying there for 2-4 hours while they try to make it new again we really got fed up.

I always enjoyed American vehicles and suddenly the inferior styling of a foreign auto seems like they were thrown together as they once seemed. However, after owning each American and foreign full size expensive and regular SUV the Japanese have it 5 fold over US made vehicles or should I say US sponsored vehicles.

My brother has a 2001 Toyota Highlander and a 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser. He is going to sell the Land Cruiser for a lot more than one would expect. It held its value much more than a two year newer Chevy Suburban his neighbor owned and is still trying to sell. My brother had two offers on his Land Cruiser that were $400 away from his asking price but he is stern about what he wants for the vehicle.

We purchased a 2009 Highlander Limited and it is loaded and we love it. Plan to keep it for a while because it drives like a dream. Nothering is cheap nowadays. We discovered that the Toyota is our best value and nice running SUV for our hard earned dollars.

Good luck in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive