Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,115,094 times

Advertisements

So I've towed some cars myself, mostly just rwd cars, but I've wondered about a few things

What is the difference between awd and 4wd? Which side do you tow these vehicles from?

How do you get into keyless entry cars when the remote is broken/you don't have the remote?

On sports cars, lowriders, and other vehicles that sit really low, how do they manage to tow them or get them on the roll back trailer, without having trouble? I know recently I towed an 85 Brougham and there was very little clearance between the back tires/front end and the ground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 11:04 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,686,164 times
I have seen tow truck drivers just hack away at someones car until they get it moving. They are brutal slobs that don't give a sh*t. They don't have any trouble simply because they have no reserve about damaging the vehicle in order to get the job done. Thats alright... I have no problem slashing their hydraulic hoses, so they are welcome to try me.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,654,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I have seen tow truck drivers just hack away at someones car until they get it moving. They are brutal slobs that don't give a sh*t. They don't have any trouble simply because they have no reserve about damaging the vehicle in order to get the job done. Thats alright... I have no problem slashing their hydraulic hoses, so they are welcome to try me.
Not that I'm advocating they damage a vehicle they're sent to repo, but why would it matter to the former owner anyway? It's no longer their vehicle if they've quit paying and gone into repo over it. So why take that out on the tow guy, when he's just doing the job he's being paid to do.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:06 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,710,360 times
Hhhmm....who here watches Operation Repo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
So I've towed some cars myself, mostly just rwd cars, but I've wondered about a few things

What is the difference between awd and 4wd? Which side do you tow these vehicles from?

How do you get into keyless entry cars when the remote is broken/you don't have the remote?

On sports cars, lowriders, and other vehicles that sit really low, how do they manage to tow them or get them on the roll back trailer, without having trouble? I know recently I towed an 85 Brougham and there was very little clearance between the back tires/front end and the ground
Interesting a tow truck driver is asking all of these. If I didn't know better I'd guess you're an amateur car thief looking for tips on how to steal someone's ride.

The AWD is "all wheel drive" and the 4WD is 4 wheel drive. I look at AWD as an all time 4 wheel drive even though it doesn't quite hold a candle to a true 4WD. There's a post on it here, do a search.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:10 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,073,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Interesting a tow truck driver is asking all of these. If I didn't know better I'd guess you're an amateur car thief looking for tips on how to steal someone's ride.
I think you're on the right track. And in any case, why should we be helping someone do the job he's paid to do?

Old 11-11-2009, 01:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,186,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Hhhmm....who here watches Operation Repo?

The AWD is "all wheel drive" and the 4WD is 4 wheel drive. I look at AWD as an all time 4 wheel drive even though it doesn't quite hold a candle to a true 4WD. There's a post on it here, do a search.
I was just thinking that don't tow truck driver have to be certified and trained
How to Become a Tow Truck Driver | eHow.com

Tow truck drivers offer roadside assistance and will transport vehicles that have broken down. If you wish to become a tow truck driver, you can expect to spend a lot of time driving as well as potentially working late shifts. The type of tow truck job that you wish to pursue will affect how you go about becoming a tow truck driver.

step 1 Obtain a valid driver's license from the state that you plan to work in. At the very least, tow truck companies require that you have a valid driver's license. Many companies will also want to review your driving record to make sure you are a safe driver.

Step 2 Determine if you need a CDL for the tow truck job you are interested in. Although some tow truck companies do not require a CDL, many do. This requirement will depend on the size tow truck you will be driving while employed with the company.

Step 3 Take and complete a CDL course. A CDL is a licensing program that permits the driving of commercial vehicles. A CDL exam will be broken into two parts: a driving and written exam. If your instructor determines you can adequately drive a commercial vehicle, you will be given your CDL. Find CDL courses in your area through online sites like CDL Course.

Step 4 Look for tow truck driver jobs. You can find online career sites that advertise tow truck driving jobs in your area. For instance, you can review listings on Yahoo HotJobs. Check classifieds within your local newspaper as well for open positions.

Step 5 Attend on-the-job training. Although experience may be preferred, most companies will train employees on the job. Training will involve hooking up the tow, emergency roadside assistance, using tow equipment and driving the truck with a tow.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:16 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,897,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post

I haven't towed in 10 years but here's my .02

AWD and full time 4WD vehicles need to be towed via either a rollback (ramp truck) or a regular truck using dollies.

The door lock kits used by pros can cost in the thousands of dollars, that's how I used to get in.

I used to use 6 foot 2x8 boards to reduce the angle of attack on the ramp.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:19 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,686,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Not that I'm advocating they damage a vehicle they're sent to repo, but why would it matter to the former owner anyway? It's no longer their vehicle if they've quit paying and gone into repo over it. So why take that out on the tow guy, when he's just doing the job he's being paid to do.
This thread is not about repoing only... its more about towing in general. I have never met a decent tow truck driver and that goes for the ones I know personally.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:22 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,654,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
This thread is not about repoing only... its more about towing in general. I have never met a decent tow truck driver and that goes for the ones I know personally.

I have. My gas gauge died last year and I didn't notice it until I ran out of gas. Since I was too far away from a station to walk and get a can myself, I called for a tow to bring one out. They brought me two gallons of gas, bled the air out of the lines so my vehicle would start back up, and then looked up on their GPS where the nearest gas station was. Then the driver voluntarily followed me all the way in to the station to make sure I made it.

He was prompt, courteous, and went beyond what I called for and paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive