Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:55 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
But it can't tow!

2 Drivers here....4 cars...the fun, and the sensible and the all needing Hurricane evacuation vehicle.

2 drivers here and 8 cars. Soon to be 3 drivers and another car to the stable. What will be added depends on what I find.

How many we NEED is another story. How much room we have for the ones we WANT is another. DH has to have the truck for work but keeps it now parked at the office and stole my Suburban to commute back/forth. Teenager is getting ready to steal my "fun" little more economical than the Suburban car, the BMW. DH has his car to drive when not for work, the Cayenne Turbo. I've got the car to run to pick the kids up at school on beautiful weather days and to take to car shows, 1968 Camaro Convertible. DH has the 3 cars for fun that he tinkers with: 1969 Camaro RS/SS, 1969 Mustang Mach I CJ, 1981 911. Two of which are for sale. The last 4 are worth more than we paid for them

The nice thing about the older cars........... my girls can learn about how a car works a lot easier on them than they can on all of the new ones w/ the computer boards and all. They get to see the basics.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:01 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
2 drivers, 3 cars - wife's 04 CRV, my 02 Tacoma Prerunner as my daily driver, and my 92 4Runner for camping and dog hauling.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
I need two cars, a daily driver and something for weekend getaways.

Currently own:

2007 GMC Yukon Denali
2005 Chevy Corvette Convertible

I wouldn't mind adding a third car to the stable, I'd like to get a classic car or something exotic. Right now the pocketbook says no but my heart says yes!

Quote:
No offense, but it's 2009 now. You sound like my mom and dad. Dad is 69 and my mom is 65. I constantly get asked why why why? Well for one thing I wasn't raised in the 40s and 50s. Things are different and we also think differently.
My parents who were also raised in the 40's and 50's must have caught on fairly quickly to the new way of thinking. They have 6 vehicles split between 2 houses as well as a boat and a motorcycle!

Old 11-13-2009, 10:54 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Being a child of the 1950's I know for personal use no one "needs'' more than one car.

If you own more than one vehicle for personal use then you got way more money than you can use sensibly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
No offense, but it's 2009 now. You sound like my mom and dad. Dad is 69 and my mom is 65. I constantly get asked why why why? Well for one thing I wasn't raised in the 40s and 50s. Things are different and we also think differently.

But back on subject, I'm more of a two vehicle person myself. Paid off my K1500 a few months ago and I really want to sit it out for a while and pump her up some. Maybe add a 2" lift with a size bigger tire and maybe a supercharger. But until then, I really want to find more of a fuel efficient ride right now.
Just because it's 2009 doesn't change common sense money management one bit. The laws of money management will be the same no matter what year it is. All that is different today is we live in a consumer society where people get brainwashed into believing more is not only better it's necessary to live a good life. What hog wash!!!!

As one poster has already pointed out the cost to support each vehicle is way more than people think it is making an investment in more than one vehicle a total waste unless the other vehicles are tasked for a specific purpose.

All that said, ONE vehicle is all anyone needs for personal use. Period.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:57 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times
Quote:
Just because it's 2009 doesn't change common sense money management one bit. The laws of money management will be the same no matter what year it is. All that is different today is we live in a consumer society where people get brainwashed into believing more is not only better it's necessary to live a good life. What hog wash!!!!

As one poster has already pointed out the cost to support each vehicle is way more than people think it is making an investment in more than one vehicle a total waste unless the other vehicles are tasked for a specific purpose.

To each his/her own.

I explained my need for two, so have others.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:08 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
To each his/her own.

I explained my need for two, so have others.
As I said,"the other vehicles are tasked for a specific purpose" then we agree there can be a NEED for more than one vehicle.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:56 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,917,828 times
Quote:

We're not talking about money management. But if thats the case. My truck, ATV and credit cards are all paid off with money saved. I know how to manage my money pretty well.

1. '98 K1500 will become my recreational vehicle(Project)
2. Next vehicle will be my daily driver.

It's not that I think I need "MORE" to be happy. My interest is in automobiles and horsepower. No, I don't "NEED" it but I want it. Just like I'm pretty sure you have your interest.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:01 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
One car for two people. I lead a simple life.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:12 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
I also would need two. A SUV like a Tahoe/Yukon and a daily driver Subaru STI.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:48 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Being a child of the 1950's I know for personal use no one "needs'' more than one car.

If you own more than one vehicle for personal use then you got way more money than you can use sensibly.
Not really, not for me anyway - the advantage of multiple cars is that since I do almost all my own service work, and it's perhaps a luxury I choose to afford, but having several older, paid-for cars in my "fleet" allows me to have several to drive while I am working on one, when I am working on one.

There is nothing more irritating to me than to be forced to finish working on a car Sunday evening because I need it to go to work on Monday. That and sometimes I find other issues during the teardown, I like to have the time to order in parts if necessary without haveing to disassemble/reassemble multiple times.

That and to me driving the same car all the time would get boring..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive