Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:37 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times

Advertisements

Tractors are gaining popularity in the US.
But travel time between accounts has to be considered.
Maintenance costs are almost nonexistent and they are more relabel than a pick-up.
We have considered a winter lease for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Tractors are gaining popularity in the US.
But travel time between accounts has to be considered.
Maintenance costs are almost nonexistent and they are more relabel than a pick-up.
We have considered a winter lease for one.
Tractors these days are getting faster though, a buddy of mine back home just bought one that'll do 41mph, which is plenty fast in something that big. My former employer had a tractor that topped out at 55mph. Most of them will do at least 35mph.

But yes, if you have to travel very far distances you obviously might be better off with a different solution.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:50 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,572 times
I used to use my John Deere tractor to push my driveway with the blade. Screw that mess and hassle. You run out of places to put it. In 2000...I bought a 2-stage gas snow thrower at Lowe's for about $600. It was just a cheapo MTD and works great. It's self driven and all you have to do is steer it after putting it in gear and pulling the clutch in. It throws it at least 30' feet into the air, sometimes 50'. More than clears everything and puts it out into the trees and yard away from everything. Spreads it out (hence getting rid of it). I'd never go back to a shovel or tractor. A two and one half car driveway a little over 100' feet long is done in about 30-45 minutes. It's cakewalk.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:01 PM

Just to give an example, this is indicative of the equipment used for highway and larger street clearing in Norway.

Tellefsdal Diagonalplog - YouTube

And this would be a pretty standard package for parking lots, smaller/city streets, driveways etc. They often also have a big snow blower on the back too, for situations where that's preferential.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:08 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,572 times
If my cheapo ever takes a dump...this is what I'm replacing it with. Ariens Two-Stage Snow Blowers @ Snow Blowers Direct.com - Ariens Two Stage Snowblowers, Ariens 2 Stage Snow Blower, Ariens Two Stage Snow Blowers, Ariens Two Stage Snowblower, Ariens 2 Stage Snow Blowers, Ariens Two Stage Snow Blower, Ariens 2 Stage

I still do have the tractor and a Bobcat if I need one. I like this method much better. You don't have piles that don't melt unti April or May either.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:30 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
When you live on a Mt. Top ,everything changes I have 50 to100 ft drop off in places.And, 900 feet is a long driveway. I also have one dog leg turn. Even with my 20,000 lb tractor you can get in trouble. I guess I will stay as is, or, make a attach mount for a movable blade.I really like My JD , warm cab, new set of Nokia radials(6,000$). I only put 2000 hours on it in 3 years. These things new were over 100,000$ . The thing I worry about is repairs. 2 years ago I had to get a new hydraulic cylinder for the tilt, 3,000 installed. This is really heavy equip,,on the light side, and I use it like a track hoe, which had broke a lot of lift parts. It's a quality German machine that JD had built 99 thru 2005 . Parts will become hard to get
soon.( it's got 6,000 hours) Just some thoughts that maybe I should sell it and buy a plow for my mega cab cummins which I do't need any more ether. At 71 I start thinking about The future and a smaller easier to handle machine. The City uses custom built Peterbuilts single tires all around and a real short WB.that will plow sand/salt . That's what I need only smaller, maybe?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Just to give an example, this is indicative of the equipment used for highway and larger street clearing in Norway.

Tellefsdal Diagonalplog - YouTube

And this would be a pretty standard package for parking lots, smaller/city streets, driveways etc. They often also have a big snow blower on the back too, for situations where that's preferential.

The city here uses German Holder units for sidewalks, blower,salt box, in summer it cuts grass. These little machines are not cheap!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Yes they can go that fast.
have you tried to drive one at 35-40mph.in 3"to a foot of snow
snow flies up off the tires viability goes way down.

but they do work.

different set ups for their intended use.

this is the tractor set up I want for residential drives.
Snowblowing Condos - YouTube

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F0yvbe4ilYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gf2vmFyqQKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

some use dump trucks with pushers. a 14ft pusher on a dump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Tractors these days are getting faster though, a buddy of mine back home just bought one that'll do 41mph, which is plenty fast in something that big. My former employer had a tractor that topped out at 55mph. Most of them will do at least 35mph.

But yes, if you have to travel very far distances you obviously might be better off with a different solution.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Yes they can go that fast.
have you tried to drive one at 35-40mph.in 3"to a foot of snow
snow flies up off the tires viability goes way down.

but they do work.

different set ups for their intended use.

this is the tractor set up I want for residential drives.
Snowblowing Condos - YouTube

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F0yvbe4ilYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gf2vmFyqQKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

some use dump trucks with pushers. a 14ft pusher on a dump.

I've done a decent amount of snow clearing with a dump truck and it dies indeed work fine, with the right type, your turn circle goes way down too. The benefit of the tractor is the ability to have that best of both world set up of blower and plow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive