U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:02 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,234,216 times

Advertisements

I have a 2001 Honda Civic with Toyo Spectrum Touring tires that have proved to be cheap crap since I bought them. They screech, they don't hold the road, and they have been wearing badly.

All four tires are bald or nearly bald on the inside edge only (see attached pic). They have supposedly been rotated a couple of times with oil changes and inflated to 32 PSI (admitted not as often as recommended). They have about 25,000 miles on them. My question is if this wear pattern indicates something about the installation/inflation/service or if it's a manufacturing issue -- and ultimately, what do I do about it? Will the tires remain safe? Winter approaches here in southwest Ohio.

Thanks for any help,
N
Attached Thumbnails
Tire wear question (pic)-tire_wear.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 AM

5,575 posts, read 23,340,207 times
The unusual wear on the inside edge is probably the result of mis-alignment, not the tires.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:40 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,234,216 times
Thanks, cdelena. After wikipedialyzing this problem, it looks like a negative camber issue.

What would be the best solution here? Four new tires (professionally installed w/balancing+alignment)? Just an alignment? My non-expert gut feeling is that the tread is insufficient for driving in any amount of snow.

Nevermind. Further wikipedialyzing showed me that correcting the alignment on tires with uneven wear will make it so that all of the load is placed on the unworn parts of the tires... i.e., it can result in insufficient contact with the road. Looks like new sneakers for the Honda.

FYI, got this link from a Wikipedia article:
http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm

Old 11-29-2009, 12:34 PM

3,144 posts, read 8,020,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
urther wikipedialyzing showed me that correcting the alignment on tires with uneven wear will make it so that all of the load is placed on the unworn parts of the tires... i.e., it can result in insufficient contact with the road. Looks like new sneakers for the Honda.

FYI, got this link from a Wikipedia article:
Wheel Alignment A Short Course
They will equalize fairly quickly once everything is properly aligned. However they are pretty worn down in general.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:35 PM

3,743 posts, read 12,548,012 times
Are they 25k mi tires? They certainly don't look like they've been rotated side to side, are they one-directional tires? That wear looks extreme between bald inside and so much tread on the outside - how deep is the tread on the outside?

Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 PM

2,715 posts, read 10,846,168 times
Toyo generally makes good tires. I have experience with both the 800s and Spectrums and I must say Spectrums are bad tires. Replace them before Winter--they are horrible in the snow and will be even worse with the wear on yours.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 PM

8,292 posts, read 25,061,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
I have a 2001 Honda Civic with Toyo Spectrum Touring tires that have proved to be cheap crap since I bought them. They screech, they don't hold the road, and they have been wearing badly.

All four tires are bald or nearly bald on the inside edge only (see attached pic). They have supposedly been rotated a couple of times with oil changes and inflated to 32 PSI (admitted not as often as recommended). They have about 25,000 miles on them. My question is if this wear pattern indicates something about the installation/inflation/service or if it's a manufacturing issue -- and ultimately, what do I do about it? Will the tires remain safe? Winter approaches here in southwest Ohio.

Thanks for any help,
N
Your car is out of alignment.

I'm surprised that whoever has been rotating your tires didn't mention that.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:20 PM

2,698 posts, read 11,174,662 times
if i were you, i would look into some sort of lifetime alignment on the vehicle if you plan on keeping it for any decent amount of time. they usually cost 2-3X more than a one-time alignment, but then you can get it checked as often as you like.

with my FWD vehicles, i rotate the tires every other oil change (i change at 5K), then i get the alignment checked after the rotation. overkill? maybe, but i get GREAT tire wear even though i drive my vehicles pretty hard.

also, is this vehicle modified suspension-wise? if you lowered it but then didn't get the alignment adjusted, you would definitely encounter wear like this.

Mike

Old 11-29-2009, 08:51 PM

773 posts, read 2,403,658 times
You need a new set of tires, period.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:02 PM

28,751 posts, read 44,155,983 times
If you have this car serviced at a garage or the dealer and they did not warn you about the condition of the tires I strongly recommend finding someone else to do the work on your car.

If they are ignoring/missing this you have to wonder how much attention or care they take with the servicing you can't see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive