Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 AM

584 posts, read 1,343,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Definitely no Audi expert here, Discovery . . .

However, I bet there's a simple "reset" built into the system as there is with my SSR. Have you considered contacting an Audi Dealer?
Yes i did and they said you just have to change new brake pads and the warning light will clear out itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 12:04 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,393,710 times
Assuming this shop installed/connected the sensors. All you have to do is turn the ignition switch to the "ON' position for 60 seconds. This will reset light

Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,735,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
I have a Audi A6 Avant that just had brake pads and rotors changed all around but brake pad light indication still on. Are there any genius out there can educate me on how to shut the warning light of ?
Thank you
Installation of the pads should shut the lamp off. Maybe the shop neglected to reconnect one of the wires. You'd think they would have caught that detail.

Edit: I just read about bridging the wires in the sensors. I guess a lot of people must screw up the brake pad installation and "fix" the lamp by rewiring the car. I never had a problem with the lamp resetting on a pad installation. My guess is that a lot of people screw up the connectors when doing the installation, or the harness end of the wire has become damaged somewhere. I did have the harness (vehicle) wiring cause a problem one time.

Last edited by 43north87west; 12-08-2009 at 12:52 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,735,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
It's a small Mexican owned shop here in Hillsboro, Oregon. After doing all the works with the warning light still on they then suggest me to let them uninstall the instrument panel to rewire so it can by pass the warning light and quote $140 for the job. Not only that they also suggested to change the timing belt which will cost additional $800. I said to myself oops it was a mistake to bring the car here. I really don't think these people are stupid when it comes to troubleshooting but they might be. I asked them what make they think to come up with the suggestion of rewire what in the back of instrument panel ? Guess what they answered ? They google it....
I also knew the car had timing belt changed approximately 30K miles ago so that is another catch from me. I then left the place with a smile on my face
Well, at least you learned that the shop sucked on a brake job instead of a transmission replacement that ended up as an engine replacement too.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:04 PM

584 posts, read 1,343,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Installation of the pads should shut the lamp off. Maybe the shop neglected to reconnect one of the wires. You'd think they would have caught that detail.

Edit: I just read about bridging the wires in the sensors. I guess a lot of people must screw up the brake pad installation and "fix" the lamp by rewiring the car. I never had a problem with the lamp resetting on a pad installation. My guess is that a lot of people screw up the connectors when doing the installation, or the harness end of the wire has become damaged somewhere. I did have the harness (vehicle) wiring cause a problem one time.
It is so cold up here now in Oregon that i was planning to clean up and check for damage both ends of the connection. I will also try to turn on the ignition for 60 seconds as earlier poster suggested. Many thanks for all the help in here.
I just want to get my car in decent shape before taking a trip down to Phoenix this coming spring.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:21 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,065,721 times
Considering their suggested fix for the bulb, I wouldn't be surprised if they put on the wrong pads and just super glued wires to them to make them look proper.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 PM

17,237 posts, read 57,256,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Considering their suggested fix for the bulb, I wouldn't be surprised if they put on the wrong pads and just super glued wires to them to make them look proper.
I hate to say it but this sounds pretty likely.

The hell of it is, there are plenty of good independent import shops around you, Discovery, kick yourself for trying to get a very cheap repair on a rather sophisticated car.

Offhand if you Google "Indpendent BMW Repair" you should be able to find a good indy shop that does BMWs, give them a call and see if they don't do Audis too.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:09 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,966,153 times
European cars like BMW and Audi has a brake sensor. I am guessing that the sensor was not re-installed properly or it was damaged when they changed the rotor out. There is usually one sensor in the front and one in the back. The part is not expensive (less than $20 each).

and as the other poster suggested, the pad they used may not have a place to attach the sensor. It's not the wrong pads but if it's not OEM, they may work but no place to attach the sensor.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,641 times
The brake warning light will go out when replacing brake pads, if not check the following:

Check the wires to the brake pads are not broken, remove the connector, test for continuity by testing between the two pins in the connector.

Remove the connector in the wheel arch and check the wires are not broken, check for continuity between both connectors.

Check you are getting a volt reading from the computer box side, test only when the connector are appart

Check for a dry or hot joint on the connectors, this is a common problem, plug the connector together and test between connetors to get continuity reading, spray in Q20 or electrial spray to ensure a good contact.

I have done these on my Audi with positive results

Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,065,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodfireman View Post
The brake warning light will go out when replacing brake pads, if not check the following:
I have done these on my Audi with positive results
As you're a new member I will suggest checking the dates on posts before you reply, this thread is over 2 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive