Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:43 AM

170 posts, read 634,579 times

Advertisements

I find American cars more comfortable and just better overall. It used to be the Japanese makes but I dont there cars ( Accord, Camry) are that much better anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I am tallish (6'1") with long legs (36-37"). I have yet to find any asian cars that are comfortable. Most smaller US and european cars are not that comfortable either. It is kind of hit and miss. Mostly, I just get used to being unfcmomfortable in a car. However as I get older, it gets to be a problem. With some cars after a 6= hour trip, I have a great deal of difficulty standing up after I get out of the car. Sometimes I have to lean on the hood for 5 minutes or so and slowly push myself upright. I think maybe I need to take up yoga.

I think a lot depends on how flexible you are. When I was younger I did nto car at all about size or comfrot of seats. Now it is different.

Although I like the nice snug feeling performance seats give you, I think it is mostly psychological. I have never slid around in my seat to any signficant extent and I drive aggressively enough that I have had a few cars have a wheel (or two) leave the grouund on rare occaisions (when I was younger and still learning to drive well). Never ever have I slid out of a seat, or event felt like I needed some extra support on the sides. Seat belt of harness has always held me in place just fine.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:32 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The problem with foreign vehicles is they may have more support but the seats are usually hard as a rock. My parents had an '06 DTS and it was much more comfortable than their '08 Lexus LS460.

I'll take soft and plush seats over some cardboard seats any day.
Some people prefer certain qualities about seats, others other qualities. Seat comfort is quite subjective.

But I will say, the American cars do tend to have plush, comfortable seats on their large / luxury models.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:38 PM

350 posts, read 847,846 times
My American made Saturn has hard seats... then again that could be because its 20 years old and has 203,000 miles on it.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:45 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Some people prefer certain qualities about seats, others other qualities. Seat comfort is quite subjective.

But I will say, the American cars do tend to have plush, comfortable seats on their large / luxury models.
You bring up some good points, when it comes to seats it is very subjective.

Many American car seats are too soft for me, it gives me pretty severe lover back pain after a short while. Chevrolet Impalas springs to mind, Escalades would be another example.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:15 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I'm in rentals about 10x a year and I don't really find any rhyme or reason to the comfort in Detroit nameplates vs, well, Asian in my case as I don't generally get Euro rentals (had a couple VWs but it's been a few years ago).

I have had trouble with most manual Toyota seats for years (a power seat sometimes rectifies this) but when I had the RAV 4 and took that on a 5-hour one-way drive, it was fine. Other Toyotas can still be suspect.

I can also tell you a Camaro is not at all a comfortable car for a 10+ hour highway drive.

I find "comfort" to encompass the entire experience sitting and driving in there. Once I'm in the car enough I haven't found anything that has anything close to an ideal seat, so I tend to discount seat differences altogether. Drive for a few hours or more and I'm uncomfortable. And I'm 5'9", not at all too big for anything.

I also consider the ride and handling as well as the switchgear layout to be part of the comfort. Sometimes simple things like the way the steering wheel is designed are quite annoying. I couldn't tilt the steering wheel down as much as I liked in one recent car because it would block gauges too much, for example. And/or the placement of the spokes is stupid, or the wheel is too thick or too thin or an unappealing material. Controls for HVAC, audio, etc are sometimes illogical or just cheesy. The ride quality of the 2011 Camry I had most recently was too soft, so handling around curves had more roll than I like and doing simple things like driving down the ramps in my downtown parking garage were very bouncy compared to my own car (which is a 12-year-old Integra). But when I had a Malibu, I didn't find that to be better. The Taurus was nice, though, as was the Buick Regal. Those seemed to have a good balance of ride, handling, etc, although I still don't care for the GM switchgear much even in the Buick. The cheesiest ride I've had in the last year or so was a Dodge Avenger. That car was just so cheap inside, the worst Detroit has to offer. To be fair, it drove mostly okay on a 2-hour one-way highway ride.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:28 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
I'll take my 22 yo Cadillac.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
American cars are like sofas, while they can be soft and cushy but they don't hold you like a glove. When you drive you need good lumbar and shoulder support or else you'll be shaking like jello in your seat.

Just about every American family car out there has a massive seat with no contour shaping at all. Do I blame car companies? Maybe not because a good % of Americans are big and fat.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:36 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
American cars are like sofas, while they can be soft and cushy but they don't hold you like a glove. When you drive you need good lumbar and shoulder support or else you'll be shaking like jello in your seat.

Just about every American family car out there has a massive seat with no contour shaping at all. Do I blame car companies? Maybe not because a good % of Americans are big and fat.
Some American cars used to be like that. You seem to be referring to American cars from about 40 years ago!

I have rode in a friend's 2010 Cadillac DTS and the seats are on the firm side. My '69 and '76 Cadillacs both have much softer seats. (The way I like them in a car.)

Old 02-05-2018, 11:24 PM

10 posts, read 6,123 times
I find Sentra seats too hard. Like seating on hard outside bench.
VW Don't like Dash
I want any vehicle that is too bouncy or feel road too much.
I find American cars to be unreliable and have problems. Too many exposed parts. The tail pipe is clearly rusted and visible in a Dodge pickup truck.
Manual transmission don't ever want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive