Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:59 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,793,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
You never know, for some these may be valid questions; leaving an engine running when changing oil, just changing a filter, etc.

To others with some sense and experience they are no brainers. But, it seems on a site like this (as opposed to a dedicated gear head site) some of these may be legitimate questions. I give credit to folks that answer them squarely.

There are regulars here that constantly give wrong info, such as: GATT requires that all cars sold in the U.S. are built in the U.S. So you never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:39 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
I have always changed my oil & filter every 3k miles. I have never had a car 1991 & newer. Always change your oil when you change your filter.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 AM

432 posts, read 3,644,501 times
Changing the oil filter but not the oil is like using a using a brand new tooth brush but reusing the same dirty toothpaste over and over!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:00 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
MotorWeek said that peolple who use synthetic oil (such as Mobile 1) still need to change their oil filter at 3K miles even though the oil won't be changed until 5K+ miles. They said oil filters are shot at 3k miles.

They also said that there are special high mileage oil filters to buy if you don't want to change the filter at 3K miles.
Automakers spend alot of moiney testing to come up with tweh recommended maintenace including oil. Most now recommend that you change at 5000 miles reguardless of teh type because its the additive package that weqars otu and the keeps your engine clean.I know that Honada and many others have said that even if a synthetic testing has shown they need to be changed for this reason.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:15 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,993,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Automakers spend alot of moiney testing to come up with tweh recommended maintenace including oil. Most now recommend that you change at 5000 miles reguardless of teh type because its the additive package that weqars otu and the keeps your engine clean.I know that Honada and many others have said that even if a synthetic testing has shown they need to be changed for this reason.
Most Hondas built in the last five years or newer have no fixed mileage interval at all. They have a "maintenance minder" that calculates "oil life remaining" based on temperature, rpms, load, etc. The mileage when oil needs changing is typically between 6000-7000 miles. Honda does NOT say you must follow these same rules if you use synthetic. The maintenance minder does not know you use synthetic and bases its recommendations on regular oil.

Many BMWs specify very long oil change intervals (~10K miles or more). My 2000 Jaguar S-type had a 10K oil change interval. I changed it at 7500 miles.

The only vehicle we have owned in the last 20 years with a 5K (or shorter) oil change interval was our 2000 F250 V10 - its standard use interval was 5K miles.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:43 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
Totally depends on the car, the oil you are using, and mostly how the car is driven.

To the OP, though, there is no real need to change the oil or the filter every 3000 unless you are making frequent short trips, and/or operating in a very dirty environment.

To answer the question asked, and yes, some people using Amsoil, Redline, and similar ester-based "Group V" oils do this, you can change the filter only, do it with the car stone cold. You will lose about a pint to almost a quart of oil depending on the size and orientation of the filter.

Although. Good lube oil is relatively cheap, I'm running Redline in the Scirocco for example, change it about every 10K miles, even using this relatively expensive oil, in 10K miles let's say I spend $50 on oil and filter. Assuming 33 MPG, and $3 gas to make the math easy - that's 3 gallons every 100 miles, 30 in 1000 miles, and *300* gallons of gas burnt in 10K miles - $900 for fuel.

So, if I am stuck with a $900 fuel bill, what difference does it make if I spend $50 on oil, or $10?

Most regular cars in normal street service, driving mostly on pavement, not operating in extreme heat or cold, can easily go 7500 miles on any quality oil and filter.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 AM

136 posts, read 422,582 times
Change the oil & the filter at the same time, also use good quality products (not the cheapist ones) as there are many lesser quality products out there on the shelves. Getting back to just changing the oil without the filter is like taking a bath and putting on dirty underware!!

Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 AM

9,593 posts, read 31,537,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post
Changing the oil filter but not the oil is like using a using a brand new tooth brush but reusing the same dirty toothpaste over and over!
UGH . . . but good comparison!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:34 AM

418 posts, read 1,085,734 times
bjorn b17---- Hahahahaha OK you made me laugh today.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:35 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,834,468 times
Don't pay much attention to the mileage between oil changes anymore. Dirty is Dirty regardless on mileage driven.

If it's 1000 miles or 10,000 miles when it's dirty will change both. At times will change just the filter only being a little lazy and the oil idown one qt will add the qt and do the filter.

It's all on the driving needs and road conditions.

Heck...people will spend more money on cigs and beer in one yr then they spend in a 10 yr of oil changes.

All a matter of priority I think.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive