Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:22 AM

98 posts, read 137,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I'm 71 and can remember re-treaded tires.

I had never heard of used oil being sold in stores.
Where, when, ?
I remember convenience markets selling Rev brand oil, API quality rated SA (do not use in engines made after 1930), made from old oil, and I tried to convince a customer to not buy it because the high quality Mobil/Exxon oil sold at the AutoZone next door was cheaper. Valvoline sells high quality recycled oil, NextGen, and a few years ago I was able to buy it for $1/quart when Pep Boys had a close-out. Apparently a major problem with recycled oil is that samples from each batch have to be submitted for quality certification, and batches are much smaller than with used oil, as opposed to crude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 09:15 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
It’s like going #2 and then not wiping if you’re asking a question like this you should not work on cars let the dealer or a independent garage do it because you have no clue what you are doing.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:49 AM

93 posts, read 63,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucianteater View Post
Hi,

I m planning to change the oil filter for my hyundai 2006 sonata 2.4 L.

I ask one of my friend who is an experienced mechanic about this and he said that the oil will just spill out if I do this.
However, I m heard from the other sources that says that it is fine to do this.

Does it differ with car? or is it same with all the cars?

You will get some oil spill out when you remove the filter but I have to ask the question..... WHY are you not replacing the oil. Regardless of what some people might tell you, Oil only lasts about 5000 miles and tends to become contaminated over time if the car is driven. For car that I don't drive much I do an oild change at 6 months or 5000 miles which ever comes first.

You car more than likely only requires 4-5 quarts of oil. This is under $20. Change the oil.

Oh yeah.. For those that are going to jump in and say that you can wait 10000 miles. I can show you what the inside of an engine that waited 10000 miles between oil changes looks like and give you countless receipts for the rebuilds that I've had to do for customers of the years.

One quick example. 2015, 4 Cyl. Owner drove the car approx. 40K a year with 80+% being highways miles. Changed the oil religiously at 10K which was well before the oil life indicator came on to change it. Came to me with a "noise". Car has a rod knock. Sounded like someone inside was trying to get outside

Took the cam cover off to reveal SLUDGE build up. Literally looked like someone had poured a bucket of dirt into the engine. Long story short. New engine required. $2900 plus my labor..

Old 07-18-2018, 10:18 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
When I was driving 40k miles per year I would do full oil & filter changes @ 10k miles with Wal-Mart Supertech synthetic oil & the cheapest filter I could find (usually a Purolator). Then do a filter-only change and top-off halfway between. I bought that car almost new, followed the warranty requirements & drove it to 90k on Mobil 1. Then started the crazy driving and got rid of the car after 8 yrs & nearly 240k miles. It had a Dodge 2.7 engine too... never had sludge or any problems with that engine and was actually a very reliable car.

I've used this technique on my cars once they are out of warranty <==key phrase. Currently use a twice yearly oil & filter change with a cheap full synthetic and cheap filter. Filter change & top off halfway in between the full changes (mileage equiv: full change @ 8k, filters only @ 4k). Check the oil level every 1k and keep it topped off. Change the air filter as needed, usually every 20-30k and same with a PCV valve if there is one. Spark plugs according to the manual (60-100k). Inspect the oil pan and torque down the bolts if there is any sign of very minor seepage. Never had an engine problem doing this.

I used to work in a shop for 2.5 years, saw LOTS of things... And without the scare tactics, over maintenance and needless services half of those places would go under. So I thank you for supporting my brothers in the trade. Hope it's worth it.

BTW vast majority of engines you can do a quick filter change and no more than 1/2 qt comes out... the vast majority of the oil still sits in the pan.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:44 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
With gas prices at $3 a gallon you are going cheap on oil?
One fillup for me cost $60. I can do a full oil change with Mobil 1 and filter for $25.
Thanks for saving me the time! ^^What he said!

Old 07-22-2018, 07:12 AM

998 posts, read 1,237,346 times
The OP ask the question 8-1/2 years ago ... EIGHT AND ONE HALF years ago!!!
Let It Die ... go outside and take a walk, or play a round of golf, or play with your grandchildren ... Who by the way, probably weren't even born when this question was asked!!

Old 07-22-2018, 12:29 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucianteater View Post
Hi,

I m planning to change the oil filter for my hyundai 2006 sonata 2.4 L.

I ask one of my friend who is an experienced mechanic about this and he said that the oil will just spill out if I do this.
However, I m heard from the other sources that says that it is fine to do this.

Does it differ with car? or is it same with all the cars?

If you are foolish enough to listen to this really bad advice of "filter only" how often do you plan to replace your car's engine. That's the fate of polluted dirty engines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive