Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Well I don't know exactly how dumb you are, but checking for an exhaust leak isn't exactly hard is it? Takes round about half a minute, securing the exhaust system again isn't exactly too tricky either, so all in all I'd say he's in for a good chance, as long as he checks it and attaches it properly.

Now, back off old man, seems you're lack too much knowledge about this.
My intelligence isn't in question here. At least by a competent person.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:53 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that he'd gas himself and other to death with his own car without noticing the distinct smell and smoke of exhaust as it enters the passenger compartment?

Or am I reading your post all wrong?
I agree with him as people are obercome all teh time by burn gas enterihg the passenger compartment all the tie without apparently noticing.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:39 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Well I don't know exactly how dumb you are, but checking for an exhaust leak isn't exactly hard is it? Takes round about half a minute, securing the exhaust system again isn't exactly too tricky either, so all in all I'd say he's in for a good chance, as long as he checks it and attaches it properly.

Now, back off old man, seems you're lack too much knowledge about this.
LOL

Old 12-16-2009, 06:28 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
OP, if you can get the car up on ramps or whatever, figure out what broke, if you replace the missing/broken hanger with something reasonably like the factory put there, you are probably fine. You would hear a hole in the muffler if one existed. Unless you, like so many kids, have made yourself deaf with "basshead" music...

Coathanger wire is a standby for getting home, but it's not a proper repair, it won't likely last.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
My intelligence isn't in question here. At least by a competent person.
Really? The evidence is in your posts, and the verdict is in.

Checking and re-hanging a muffler is a pretty simple task that I am sure the OP can handle with some of the good advice he has received here.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:48 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,058 times
I am just trying to offer sensible advice.

You seem to have it in for certain folks. Your assumptions about the OP (and others) are not helpful for folks seeking answers to legitimate questions.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
I'm not sure what Tightwads problem is, but he's either completely incompetent when it comes to anything technical, and bitter, that someone can actually look at something and figure out how to fix it, or an exhaust builder with lacking business, or simply an old fool we should just ignore.

Tightwad, securing a muffler again is pretty straight forward, would you not agree? And checking a muffler for leaks, either by ear, visually or simply placing your hand over the tailpipe, blocking the exhaust is also a fairly easy task, would you agree?

So exactly what is it you have a problem with?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:41 PM

42 posts, read 78,055 times
Quote:
. . . securing a muffler again is pretty straight forward, would you not agree? And checking a muffler for leaks, either by ear, visually or simply placing your hand over the tailpipe, blocking the exhaust is also a fairly easy task, would you agree?
Haha, well I agree with you.

The clips on my muffler rusted out and dropped while I was on the highway. Lucky me, I actually had a hanger in my car - secured it until I got home and then did a better job of putting it up. The muffler stayed in place for a year (until some idiot rear-ended me).

You don't [i]have[i] to take it to a muffler shop, but definitely get under there and make sure it's held in place and up high enough. And do check for leaks^

Old 12-17-2009, 12:11 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
It should not cost $300 unless you go to a dealer.

An independent shop should do it much cheaper.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what Tightwads problem is, but he's either completely incompetent when it comes to anything technical and bitter that someone can actually look at something and figure out how to fix it, or an exhaust builder with lacking business, or simply an old fool we should just ignore.
Door #3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive