U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 09:51 AM

179 posts, read 645,653 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some responses from people who really LOVE their cars or SUVs. If so, can you tell me what you have any why you love it? I am not looking for motor heads - sorry this is not an insult to you but I am not that into cars and don't know anything about performance, plus I hate sports cars. I just want responses from the average pseron who just loves their car to gauge passion about particular brands and models. Also I am looking for opinions on newer cars, 2005 or later (not your favorite car of all time).
I'm not really looking for advice on what I should buy, just opinions on your own experience, and then I will relate that to what I need (something with 4 wheel drive b/c of the northeast winters, leather seats b/c I have 2 messy dogs, and big enough to handle gear like skis and a mountain bike- even if I just add a rack on top). Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:44 AM

13,719 posts, read 26,889,413 times
Do you hate sports cars because they don't work for you? Or are you opposed to high performance on the road?

I really like my Honda Ridgeline. It is AWD, handles like a car, has all-weather capability, it is very roomy, has been flawless over 65K miles, and has an outstanding lockable trunk under the rear bed.

But I really LOVE my 1997 Acura NSX.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:59 AM

127 posts, read 263,683 times
I'll chime in with my $0.02 as I am the proud owner of a black 2008 Acura MDX. I love everything about my MDX it is big but not too big, plenty of room, high seating position but not insanely high off the ground and very easy to step into, I got the runningboards on mine even though it does not need them for some reason I just think MDX's without them look ugly. The interior and attention to detail from Acura is nothing short of amazing, the layout and appearance is just so nice, long drives in this car are nothing for me as I just thoroughly enjoy the ride.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:09 AM

4,215 posts, read 9,966,284 times
I have a Ridgeline too and I love it! I don't really need the 4WD option, but they all come equipped that way and it did come in handy climbing some snow covered mountain roads during a vacation last winter.

What I like about it:

Handling - it handles like a car but has the ability of a 4WD truck
Versatility - the back seats are roomy and comfortable but fold up for extra covered cargo space.
Truck Bed- it's completely adequate for hauling most items
The trunk - it's really unique - it's a good size trunk and great for stowing luggage on a trip.
The interior finish is nice and it has a ton of storage compartments.
I got the RTS model which comes with a 160 Watt stereo system.
It also gets an average of 17 MPG which isn't terrible for that type of vehicle.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:37 AM

8,955 posts, read 18,575,637 times
WE very much prefer our 1993 Chevy Suburban to any other car on the road today.

Why?

Well, the 92>99 Suburbans overall design is all about comfort and utility with a huge dose of reliability thrown in for good measure. Being Chevy the parts and rebuild are anon issue. These Suburban's are so well built that complete engine/trans refit after 200,000 + miles makes sense.

The seats in those years either folded flat or were easy to remove. The trip comfort ranks right up with the limousine class of cars.

If you need it or can dream it up the 92>99 Suburban's will do it and not break a sweat. Add a trailer and well....the sky's the limit!

All that said, Suburban's built from 2000 on are more about glitz than utliity so keep that in mind it you choose to buy a 'burb.

Oh yes, many will carp about the MPG but when you consider the useful life and the size of the Suburban it's a wash if you use any 'burb with common sense.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:53 AM

1,742 posts, read 5,267,831 times
I love my Hummer as I got it with a built in ***** magnet. I also have a fondness for my winter beater and bear hauler, an old school ice cream truck.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:54 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,040,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy205 View Post
I am looking for some responses from people who really LOVE their cars or SUVs. If so, can you tell me what you have any why you love it? I am not looking for motor heads - sorry this is not an insult to you but I am not that into cars and don't know anything about performance, plus I hate sports cars. I just want responses from the average pseron who just loves their car to gauge passion about particular brands and models. Also I am looking for opinions on newer cars, 2005 or later (not your favorite car of all time).
I'm not really looking for advice on what I should buy, just opinions on your own experience, and then I will relate that to what I need (something with 4 wheel drive b/c of the northeast winters, leather seats b/c I have 2 messy dogs, and big enough to handle gear like skis and a mountain bike- even if I just add a rack on top). Thanks!!
I loved our Dodge Durango...bought it new the first year they came out...shiny black. I loved the hatchback and 3rd row seating and sitting up high above everyone. Got lots of looks tooling around in it. Took it on several cross country trips...this was before the super inflated gas prices. It all ended when a woman rear ended us on a busy road while we were stopped at a stoplight....Durango totalled and the lady died in the crash. Pretty tramatic and some back pain and PTS over it all. So that's my love story and I'm sticking to it. Oh I also loved a used Camaro I had for awhile some years before that and a loaded Dodge Caravan Minivan was also sweet! After that accident we went for practicality because vehicles depreciate the minute you drive off the lot and you can only impress others so much, but maybe some day we will get that Caddy my husband would like.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:47 PM

795 posts, read 1,279,907 times
My favorite car is my 1994 Mustang GT Conv because I love to spin my tires and get sideways. I love the sound of my exhaust when I floor it or cruise above 2000 rpm. I love having so many aftermarket performance parts available for my 5.0 at low prices. My Mustang also saved my life a few times so it's my hero too. I will never sell it and I will cry like a baby if someone ever hits it.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:05 PM

10,091 posts, read 38,579,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy205 View Post
I have nothing to add, as any thing I have doesn't seem to fit your ideal vehicle. But...I do see your from Westifield, NJ. I was born and raised there...great little town! Hope you find your dream vehicle.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:18 PM

8,191 posts, read 29,076,106 times
I have a 1998 Ford Expedition, which I absolutely love.

I also have a large dog (about to have a second one!). I ride horses so sometimes I have to haul a few bags of feed or shavings or a couple of bales of hay. I can do this and still have room for the ever present dog and even an extra adult. I can tow a trailer with it if want to.

It has 2 wheel, 4 wheel, and all wheel drive options. It also has a remote starter, which was heavenly when I lived in IN.

It came with a 3rd row seat, but it was impossible for an adult to get into and I don't have kids. i removed it and never missed it.

This is far and away the most comfortable ride I have ever had. I love my Expedition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive