Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:37 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
In the end years from now, the Ferrari will still be more desired then the remake of a once great car. American cars are hot when they are new. A Ferrari is always a hot car to own and drive.
American cars, like the Hemicuda, were hot when new and are hot now. And is a hot car to own and drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 03:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Nice run, but there are quite a few cars that can get over 200 mph. Some of them, are the same ones you seem to make fun of, from time to time. . I didn't want to ruin your party. Sorry if I did. I can post more, but the thread is not about them. The point is that there are more cars out there than you think (than can eclipse the 200mph mark). Enjoy!!

And it's not just about Pedigree.....

Didn't mean to rain on your party. Again, I apologize...
I was referring to factory stock cars, not modified cars. Obviously there are TONS of private entrants that break 200mph. All one has to do is take a visit to Bonneville or a Top Fuel drag race.

Anyone with enough cash and time can make a Ford Festiva run over 200 mph.

Last edited by Steve-o; 12-18-2009 at 03:34 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 03:22 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I was referring to factory stock cars, not modified cars. Obviously there are TONS of private entrants that break 200mph. All one has to do is take a visit to Bonneville or a Top Fuel dragrace.

Anyone with enough cash and time can make a Ford Festiva run over 200 mph.
Points well taken, but I don't know about the Festiva.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Points well taken, but I don't know about the Festiva.
That would be funny to see! I bet a modded SHOgun with the proper gearing and aerodynamics could get close. I know there are some Fiestas in Europe running close to 200 mph.

And nice videos, too. The other night I was going through some old magazines of mine, and I found an old Road & Track issue from 1997 that had a top speed shootout comparo, and in it was an HKS modded Supra. It only hit 187, but that was still impressive for back in the day. It was up against a RUF Porsche, Hennessey Viper(s), Lingenfelter Vette, McLaren F1, and some others.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:54 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
That would be funny to see! I bet a modded SHOgun with the proper gearing and aerodynamics could get close. I know there are some Fiestas in Europe running close to 200 mph.

And nice videos, too. The other night I was going through some old magazines of mine, and I found an old Road & Track issue from 1997 that had a top speed shootout comparo, and in it was an HKS modded Supra. It only hit 187, but that was still impressive for back in the day. It was up against a RUF Porsche, Hennessey Viper(s), Lingenfelter Vette, McLaren F1, and some others.

Ah the good ole' days. I have some of those old mags too. (In pristine condition).

I remember the SHOguns, those were sweet. Jay Leno has one IIRC. Over the last 10 years, I think there have been more impressive cars to come out of people's garages and private shops, than from car manufacturers.

Glad you liked the videos.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:

yeah but the twin turbo supra was just as expensive as a corvette back in the day when they were selling them on new showroom floors

Old 12-18-2009, 04:17 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
What would you like them to compare it to? Only a small handful of cars can get over 200 mph. I dont know the price of the Cuda, but Im sure its price is pretty close to (or more than) the Enzo. And seeing old American muscle (albeit HIGHLY modified) take on exotic Italian machinery might seem a little odd, but its interesting nonetheless.
How about more apples to apples? A novitec Enzo. Or even a Novitec Rossa F430. A Veyron. A McLaren F1 GTR. A Koenigsegg CCX maybe as well.

There's nothing like putting a highly modified twin-turbo'd 1000 hp car against a high-performance production 650 hp car. 650...vs...1000. Apples to oranges.

Interesting to watch, but not pertinent to either car except for aero concepts.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
American cars, like the Hemicuda, were hot when new and are hot now. And is a hot car to own and drive.
Funny then that they stopped making them for so long. Your right that they were hot when they were new. Like many American cars over many years they become hot again. Look at the Mustang. It is hot now because it looks similar to the original. Same with the Cammaro, the Cuda, and a few others. Kind of wondered why the GTO was not built to look like the original. People are paying big bucks to get one of these cars because they can not afford or find one of the originals. For years you could have purchased (pick an American made car brand here.) and ended up with an inexspensive car. Now with fewer of those cars to go around everyone wants one of them. I would say that for the most part our cars are loved when they are built, they fade away over time, and then their is a resurgence to reconect with the car over many years.

If they had remained hot all along, chances are some one would have a 1985 cuda sitting in the stable that is worth something. What I see is a lot of middle aged guys trying to get back at their child hood by buying a car from the past, or at least something that resembles the car from the past.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah but the twin turbo supra was just as expensive as a corvette back in the day when they were selling them on new showroom floors
I believe they were more expensive than the Vette, and some models of the 3000GT were vastly more expensive (namely the VR-4 Spider).

Old 12-19-2009, 01:17 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Funny then that they stopped making them for so long. Your right that they were hot when they were new. Like many American cars over many years they become hot again. Look at the Mustang. It is hot now because it looks similar to the original. Same with the Cammaro, the Cuda, and a few others. Kind of wondered why the GTO was not built to look like the original. People are paying big bucks to get one of these cars because they can not afford or find one of the originals. For years you could have purchased (pick an American made car brand here.) and ended up with an inexspensive car. Now with fewer of those cars to go around everyone wants one of them. I would say that for the most part our cars are loved when they are built, they fade away over time, and then their is a resurgence to reconect with the car over many years.

If they had remained hot all along, chances are some one would have a 1985 cuda sitting in the stable that is worth something. What I see is a lot of middle aged guys trying to get back at their child hood by buying a car from the past, or at least something that resembles the car from the past.
They stopped making them for several reason. One of them was not because they were not "hot" anymore.

First, insurance rates for muscle cars by the early '70s was very expensive. Then, the oil crisis of 1973 happened. And the stricter emissions requirements also started in the early '70s and continued into the mid-to-late '70s.

There were plenty of people who would have bought a mid-'70s to mid-'80s Hemi 'Cuda, but they were not being built due to the reasons listed above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive