Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 10:24 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times

Advertisements

It's been raining a lot here lately. It was just noticed that the right rear floorboard carpet of my wife's 2000 Buick LeSabre is just soaked. Don't know how long, as people rarely ride in the backseat.

I haven't had time to look at what the problem is, so just wanted to ask if y'all could tell me what I should look for.

I figure I'll get under the car first to see if there are any spots rusted through. (The floor FEELS solid.) She also thinks she hit something some while ago that made a loud thump "somewhere under the car", so I'll look for any obvious damage. Of course, my biggest fear is rust.

I'll also look for (and I hope this is the problem) any drains in the door that may be plugged up causing it to leak into the cabin.

If anyone knows if this is a common issue for this model car I'd appreciate it. Any tips on what to look for, or where to look will also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:29 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
If you can, sit in the back seat and have someone spray all around the doors and windows with a water hose and using a flashlight, look for any signs of water coming in.

An auto glass shop will hose down the outside of the car and use compressed air from the inside to trace a window or door gasket leak. Kinda like looking for a leak in a tire.

Last edited by Gimme3steps; 12-22-2009 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 10:39 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
I know some older GMs would leak from the condensation of the AC (even in winter since it flips on for defrost) into the cabin, but it was normally up front -- of course, it's hard to tell where the water is coming from since the wet spot you found may be where it pools, not where it originates.

I'd look under the pan first. Then check seals. I seem to recall a video online about "how to check for leaks" in a car where the helpful dude was doing all sorts of tricks. Maybe google that up.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:28 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
I had something similar happen in an Audi 4000, the A/C drain was stopped up, and was actually draining along the body and coming out in the passenger's side rear footwell.

There is a drain "teat" that typically has a fish-mouth like drain end pointing down, all I had to do was pinch it between my fingers, it was just stuck shut. This thing is typically on the passenger's side firewall, fairly low, it may be easier to see from under the car.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:27 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Thanks all, I didn't even think an AC drain problem might be the issue...figured it'd be up front...I'll check the above things. If I figure it out, I'll post it...might be useful for someone else in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive