Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 05:37 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I thought someone else was driving OJ during that low-speed chase. I'm glad he is spending all his time in prison concentrating on finding the killer though. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!
I don't really recall, didn't pay any attention to it at the time, but me being a car guy I do remember the Bronco
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 06:12 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Yup, miss a payment and see if your truck will start.
I will bet dollars for donuts that if you do not pay for the suscription they will still be able to lock you out of your car when they want.

It would be like the old fuel injection on a VW beetle, everyone will soon be ripping them out.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:14 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Onstar can shut your car off only after being authorized by a law enforcement agency and after the car owner confirms it.

GM to begin OnStar stolen vehicle slowdown rollout on 2009 models - MotorAuthority

Old 12-23-2009, 06:34 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Wow, another GM bash thread.
Well, GM (and Chrysler for that matter) get bashed because they have earned it.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:52 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I thought someone else was driving OJ during that low-speed chase. I'm glad he is spending all his time in prison concentrating on finding the killer though. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!
Yes, someone else was driving while OJ pointed a gun at his head while sitting in back so the cameras could focus on him. Again.

IMO OJ's Finest Hour was when he flew through airports doing the Hertz commercials. It's been downhill ever since, expecially for anyone stupid, gullible, or unfortunate enough to actually hang out with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, GM (and Chrysler for that matter) get bashed because they have earned it.
I just bought a Grand Prix GXP which has On*, which I activated. I'll see how I like it.
From what I've seen, the diagnostics are OK but nothing that anyone with an IQ or 60 or more couldn't do on their own.

To me the greatest plus is having commo when you're out in the boonies far from cell towers.
I have a 150 buck Garmin so I don't need their step-by-step nav.

BTW regarding GM, I've had many GMs over the years and I am saddened and angered by what chronic mismanagement has done to the corporation.

My GXP is a great car dynamically: the brakes are immensely powerful, the powertrain is great, the handling is excellent.

The electronics are pure junk. The nav is incredibly, unbelievably user-unfriendly.
Additionally, it's buried down at least two feet below line-of-sight. Now that was smart.

In case nobody at GM engineering actually field-tested the unit, it's exciting enough maneuvering in strange country with a nav unit in your line of sight. I bet it's really fun @ 70 MPH trying to eyeball something buried down toward the trannie tunnel. Brilliant.

The radio is crap, and also as user-unfriendly a unit as I've ever seen. We still haven't hacked how to make the pre-sets work, and we've had the car about 10 days now.

This nav-radio-CD unit is about a $2000 option I believe. Pure junk-crap-fecal matter.
A major corporation should be ashamed they put such junk in a $32,000 car (sticker).
But that's why they went bankrupt. Probably looked good in the engineering building.

My Kia Spectra is far superior in every respect regarding radio and nav (since my Costco-sourced Garmin is easy to operate), and I never play CDs much less six of them.
The pre-sets are obvious, the controls obvious and simple, and the Garmin took about 3 minutes to figure out from plug-in to drive-off.

Did I mention GM should be ashamed?

Sorry if this looks like a hijack. I haven't had much experience with the On* yet, I hope to heavens it's more satisfying than the other gadgetry I've panned here.

As for the On*, I will report back later.

Last edited by Dwatted Wabbit; 12-23-2009 at 08:02 PM..

Old 12-23-2009, 08:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Actually it wouldn't have, OJ was driving a Ford Bronco
LOL he would of had sync so he would of been able to make hands free calls to his lawyer via blue tooth wireless

Old 12-23-2009, 08:20 PM

773 posts, read 2,630,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
You hit the nail on the head with that statement. Not just GM, but any car manufacturer. The potential to lock you out of your car if you miss a payment is in the palm of their hand. And don't think "the Law" is your friend.

BMW for years has recorded in its car's ECU the highest rpm the engine has reached. Blow an engine by downshifting at high speed and the BMW dealer has to send the ECU to Munich before he is authorized to replace the engine under warranty.

And how long will it be before car computer data is considered as admissible evidence in accident investigations? The future is rapidly approaching.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:26 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
You hit the nail on the head with that statement. Not just GM, but any car manufacturer. The potential to lock you out of your car if you miss a payment is in the palm of their hand. And don't think "the Law" is your friend.

BMW for years has recorded in its car's ECU the highest rpm the engine has reached. Blow an engine by downshifting at high speed and the BMW dealer has to send the ECU to Munich before he is authorized to replace the engine under warranty.

And how long will it be before car computer data is considered as admissible evidence in accident investigations? The future is rapidly approaching.
yeah but it will tell how fast the person was really going and when or if they applied the breaks and for how long it will give a better picture of the events leading up to and after the accident which is better than two diffrent people telling their side of the story and prevent scam artists from lying in court about what happend

Old 12-23-2009, 08:57 PM

132 posts, read 370,124 times
Can't help but think of it this way, but OnStar can shut down the vehicle after it's stolen, stopping a thief. So Mr.X can get his Escalade back and go back his legal thievery down at the bank.

They can keep the OnStar, I don't need a car that talks, thinks for me, or demands a monthly subscription, just one that puuurrrs.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:10 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Onstar can shut your car off only after being authorized by a law enforcement agency and after the car owner confirms it.

GM to begin OnStar stolen vehicle slowdown rollout on 2009 models - MotorAuthority
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I will bet dollars for donuts that if you do not pay for the suscription they will still be able to lock you out of your car when they want.

It would be like the old fuel injection on a VW beetle, everyone will soon be ripping them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Yes I am a little (or a lot) behind at times, but I just saw a commercial showing a thief steal a GM vehicle, then Onstar shuts it off for the cops. As nice/cute as this seems isn't it a bit scary to know that someone can shut your car down at any time? This would have changed the way the whole OJ chase went down.
Anyone else find this a little fishy? Maybe I'm too paranoid...but I don't like the whole deal. Glad I'm not a GM fan.
Mark my words; there will be another "OJ incident" where the police will be persuing a GM vehicle and Onstar will shut it down in spite of the fact the owner/vehicle did not have a subscription.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive