Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:03 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I paid $2.96 a gal today for gas. Thats a increase of 15 cents in 2 weeks. Airlines are back to raising prices again due to fuel increases (sureee). Gas is suppose to continue to rise with a expected $4.00 a gallon sometime this yr. My car only gets 15 mpg. No more free rides for anyone. Its 50 cents a mile (gas & wear/tear).
I saw that coming as they've been lowering oil production.

Too many people get too complacent when the prices are lower then panic when they reach $4.00 and up.

I say to these people: WAKE UP prices are not going to stay low period so purchase your next vehicle accotdingly or take good care of your current one.

To some people it doesn't matter between their possible great income or ones that don't drive much in their low MPG vehicles.

Maybe it's time to live within ones means and to stop trying to be like or impress someone else. Remember that prices of other things get impacted by higher oil prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 04:42 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
I need to lose some weight anyways so ill be walking to the store more often now which is 1 mile away. I have noticed the price increases at the stores including wall mart.

Last edited by steel7; 01-05-2010 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
All of this boils down to a very simple issue. The United States' living arrangement--sprawled auto-dependent suburbia, and its transportation system--centered around highways and air transport--is, for whatever other merits it may have, horribly energy-inefficient and nearly totally petroleum-dependent. That is a luxury that we no longer can afford, but no one wants to fess up to that reality. All the alt.energy fol-de-rol that people expect to "save" us will not--because whatever is produced is not going to be cheap enough for us to afford to waste the way we have wasted our heretofore cheap oil.

So, we need to start making the massive changes necessary to accommodate the new reality.

-Quit building more highways and suburban crap that few people will be able to afford, and concentrate on building walkable, transit-friendly communities. They don't have to be ghettos, and they could, in many ways, be much more pleasant places to live than our smog-choked, traffic-ridden suburbs.

-Get all long-distance freight off of the highways and back on the railroads, along with a decent, extensive conventional short and intermediate-distance passenger train network.

-For the shorter term, increase the required corporate average fuel economy standards by 25%--right now--with further increases phased in. Along with that, abolish the current asinine EPA diesel emission standards for highway vehicles in the US, and replace it with the European standard. That would open the US market immediately to a multitude of vehicle models not currently available here--vehicles that get 25-40% better fuel economy than cars currently available in this country. And a number of those vehicles actually are American-built--they just can't be sold in the US under current law. The small, if any, environmental cost of the European diesel emission standard compared to our current silliness would be more than offset by the fuel savings.

-Instead of wasting tons of money on dubious synfuels projects, concentrate on one that already has been well-proven: synthesizing diesel fuel from coal.

Until these things are done, we are just plunging headlong toward what could be an energy crisis that could shake this country to its foundation.

PS--If you want to know what energy prices will do to the economy, quit watching gas prices, and watch diesel prices. As I posted some time back, a high-up in one of the oil companies told it to me this way, "America drives on gasoline, but the economy runs on diesel fuel." Gasoline shortages and/or high prices can be a big inconvenience, but a massive increase in diesel prices--or outright shortages--can quickly affect peoples' ability to obtain or afford even the basic necessities, as sunsprit pointed out quite clearly earlier in this thread.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:16 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
I just found this on the Yahoo news today.

Pump prices on pace to top 2009 high by weekend - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Pump-prices-on-pace-to-top-apf-3253761330.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=6&asset=&cc ode= - broken link)

Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 PM

Oil is currently at $83.00 a barrel. As long as the greedy oil companies & OPEC continue to reduce production gas will continue to increase. A qt.of QS oil at walmart is nearly 4 bucks. The cheaper oil like super tech (walmart brand) is around $3.00.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:32 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Oil is currently at $83.00 a barrel. As long as the greedy oil companies & OPEC continue to reduce production gas will continue to increase. A qt.of QS oil at walmart is nearly 4 bucks. The cheaper oil like super tech (walmart brand) is around $3.00.
Did you happen to notice that the cost of motor oil skyrocketed back in 2008. However, they never lowered the price after the crude oil prices plummeted. I remember only 5 years back Super Tech oil was only 74 cents a quartj, and Mobile one was 4 bucks a quart. My how times have changed.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 PM

The cheapest oil i have seen is a no brand for $2.00 a qt. I think its recycled oil (not sure). I like quaker state. Its quality oil & i change my oil/filter every 3k miles on my old car.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:57 AM

Gas is the highest its been since oct.08. Its over $3.00 a gal now in ca. NOT good news.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:11 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Gas is the highest its been since oct.08. Its over $3.00 a gal now in ca. NOT good news.
I don't have a car but when or if I do get one in as much as I would've wanted to find a mid 1990's Buick LeSabre, I'd instead have to get a 90's Toyota Camry or like vehicle as they get a bit better city MPG's - no car payments for me. I was supposed to purchase a car last year but because of my unemployment that's been postponed till I do get employed and if it's necessary to have a car to get to work, etc..., that is.

For now my "car" is walking in my New Balance sneakers - lol!

Old 01-11-2010, 03:21 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
It's $3 a gallon for premium here, but so far it hasn't been a problem for me. And I can always go back to cycling everywhere full time if I have to. It's always good to have options. Unfortunately, the price of food affects me no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive