Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:38 AM

613 posts, read 1,018,403 times

Advertisements

Remember from November that horrible story about the three college girls who died in the SUV after it went into a pond in North Dakota? I hadn't heard anything about it after they were found. Does anyone know why it sat in the pond with its windows and doors shut? I believe it was a Jeep Cherokee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:46 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Those girls panicked and couldn't get out of the SUV after it went underwater. The water pressure would have prevented them from just opening their doors. They would have needed to break the side windows in order to crawl out. The incident also happened at night.

When I go on road trips, sometimes I have a tool in my glove box that is designed to cut through seat belt strapping and it also has a pointed metal end in order to break the window glass in my car.

I think that it's always a good idea to plan ahead in case of situations like these. It's also very important not to panic.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,687,320 times
Drowned students were not trespassing | San Francisco Examiner (http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/ap/70616742.html - broken link)
3 North Dakota Softball Players Remembered at Pond Where They Drowned - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Seems kind of strange that they could just accidentally drive into a pond and drown. But apparently that's what happened.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
In MA last year, they finally found the body of a woman that had been missing for a year. She apparently drove into a pond within a few miles of her house. She called her husband for help. All she managed to tell him before the phone call ended was that water was coming into her car, but she didn't give him a location. That was also an incident that happened at night. Anyway, it took a year for authorities to find her and her car.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,720,443 times
I always carry a knife and have a crowbar under the driver seat of all my vehicles.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:26 AM

353 posts, read 1,001,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Those girls panicked and couldn't get out of the SUV after it went underwater. The water pressure would have prevented them from just opening their doors. They would have needed to break the side windows in order to crawl out. The incident also happened at night.

When I go on road trips, sometimes I have a tool in my glove box that is designed to cut through seat belt strapping and it also has a pointed metal end in order to break the window glass in my car.

I think that it's always a good idea to plan ahead in case of situations like these. It's also very important not to panic.
They could have equalized the pressure by opening a window and letting water in. The water wouldn't need to completely fill the passenger area. And there is no car that is water tight, so after a certain amount of time they could have opened the door. I think there is more to the story of how they died.

And just to let you know, that tool you have? Be sure to attempt to break the window in a corner. Trying in the middle and it will bounce off. Weakest portion of the window is near a corner.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,142,829 times
I heard about it. I wonder if the driver was using the cell phone and wasnt paying attention. There is a very good chance she was. Few females 16 to 25 drive without using the cell phone constantly. I guess we will never know in this case.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:07 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,720,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I heard about it. I wonder if the driver was using the cell phone and wasnt paying attention. There is a very good chance she was. Few females 16 to 25 drive without using the cell phone constantly. I guess we will never know in this case.
Texting probably. Few years back a whole SUV load of girls from a highschool 2 miles from my house all crashed and burned because their driver was texting to the other SUV load of girls that was behind them. Distracted by the texting the driver took an 18 wheeler head on. They're all dead now.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:52 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,708,858 times
That water is so cold, they probably froze to death. I wonder what the cause of death is, drowning or heart attack.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
you need a special tool to break the glass under water mythbusters tried out a hammer and other tools but the did not work very well you need a special saftey glass hammer or a spring load punch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive