Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 10:06 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times

Advertisements

Another post got me to thinking of the money I've dropped on repairs to various cars, and what I'm about to drop on hubby's Explorer.

My Eclipse had everything under the sun go wrong with it, except the motor in the first 18 months I had it. Battery too small, turned a corner and snapped the battery cables. Had to replace those.

Brakes and rotors had to be replaced - one rotor was actually cracked!

Tires on the car were way too small (love buying cars from young punks) so had to replace tires and wheels.

Tranny crapped out after multiple attempts at transmission fluid changes.

Sunroof leaks, had to have that unclogged a few times before giving in and replacing the entire seal and drain in it.

Stereo more than dead; had to replace that.

Alignment horrible, had to have that done and just found out I was raped horribly on that cost.

And on and on and on..................

The lastest is hubby's driver's window in his '02 Explorer. Goes down ok, but trying to get it back up is a bear. He said it died completely on him the other day, stuck all the way down in the rain. Great......

Take it to our mechanic. Replacement part alone, not installed, and not re-programmed (it has something to do with the keyless entry programming?) is $358. Just for the part!!! We'll wind up dumping $500 to fix a stupid electric window!!

Anyone else have horror stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 10:36 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Fuel gauge went out in my wife's Buick once...found out they'd have to drop the gas tank and get it out of there and replace it...cost was something like $450 buck. We knew how many miles it'd get on a tank of gas given the type of driving she does, so for about a year we just kept tabs using the trip odometer.
I FINALLY got around to fixing it myself for about a quarter of the cost.
Nothing much is cheap any more to have a shop do...

Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
I busted one of my dampers hitting a pothole at about 75 mph once, during some ... enthusiastic driving.

Replace both front ones was pricey, that said though, they were getting a bit old anyway.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Nothing wrong with todays technology...it's the quality of the work that sucks.

Fifty yrs ago I drove Cads with full power...windows that went up and down with no problems...6 way seat that my wife would constantly change every time she drove one of the three cars I owned. Drove me nuts to readjust each time I was in the car...still they worked real fine.

Todays junk is pushed out the assembly line as fast as the human body can push it.

Many parts are outsourced from a country that does not know the meaning of "quality control".

Would venture to say that many of the "recalls" on the cars of the last few yrs have been as the result of a poor quality part from a outsourced country.

I personally feel that a car made in the US should consist of 100% US made parts and material like it was for decades past before this NAFTA trade agreement and the like.

Steve

Old 12-27-2009, 10:58 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Another post got me to thinking of the money I've dropped on repairs to various cars, and what I'm about to drop on hubby's Explorer.

My Eclipse had everything under the sun go wrong with it, except the motor in the first 18 months I had it. Battery too small, turned a corner and snapped the battery cables. Had to replace those.

Tires on the car were way too small (love buying cars from young punks) so had to replace tires and wheels.

Sunroof leaks, had to have that unclogged a few times before giving in and replacing the entire seal and drain in it.

Alignment horrible, had to have that done and just found out I was raped horribly on that cost.

The lastest is hubby's driver's window in his '02 Explorer. Goes down ok, but trying to get it back up is a bear. He said it died completely on him the other day, stuck all the way down in the rain. Great......

Take it to our mechanic. Replacement part alone, not installed, and not re-programmed (it has something to do with the keyless entry programming?) is $358. Just for the part!!! We'll wind up dumping $500 to fix a stupid electric window!!

If you are taking your car to a shop for all this work, you are going to pay way more than you should. I looked up the window motor and regulator, and they run under $150 combined. If your mechanic is charging you $358 just for the part, he is ripping you off.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:25 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

Most ,if not all, of these types of repairs can be avoided by doing vehicle history research on that make, model, and other peoples repair history prior to buying any vehicle. If ya got a lemon to work with all you'll ever have is a lemon. If ya don't do your homework research first then don't complain that ya got stuck with a lemon.

Some repairs are normal since what we're talking about is a machine in the first place. Machines break, machines wear our, machines are never perfect.
So when your machine requires some repair or maintenance ,if you've done the required maintenance in the first place, just bite the bullet and fix it or junk it....your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive