Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:00 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times

Advertisements

I've had Geico for a while, simply for laziness and the convenience. I found out my son isn't driving his car for the winter. He's been staying with my parents and they have a few feet of snow on the ground. Not ideal weather for a Camaro.

So I called the insurance company and dropped him and the car. The lady says I need proof that he's now covered under my parents insurance so they can take him off mine. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I mean, what if he wasn't driving their vehicles and they were taking him to and from work? But that's fine, whatever.

So I ask the lady if it affects my monthly payment and she says hang on she'll check. Comes back to let me know that my insurance will go up!! I dropped a 21 year old single male driving a sports car and my insurance goes up??

Her reasoning is that even though he's with my parents until spring he *might* come back here to visit and *might* drive one of our cars so it's mandatory we cover him on my husband's Explorer, which is a few years newer and financed so it has more coverage so it's more expensive.

Uh, BS. He won't drive any of our cars, he'd bring one of theirs. Doesn't matter. Insurance company says we have no choice but to cover him on our cars if he's not covered on his own car as long as his physical address on his DL is our home.

Now I'm major pissed. I told her to put him and his car back on and leave it alone and I'd find another insurance company ASAP. Asked to make sure everything was back to normal and the payment would be back to what it was. Nope. Now I have a $4 fee on there for renewing. I've had no accidents and no tickets, nor has hubby or son, so as a thanks for being a long term policy holder with no points, I get a renewal fee? LOL They already charge you each month for making the payments to begin with!! Gah!!!

So, I'm done. Does anyone have a national auto insurance company they can recommend. Apparently Geico enjoys finding creative ways to rip off it's customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
In my experience, the major heavily advertised auto insurance companies don't have good pricing for their coverage.

I'd check into two possible areas for quotes:

1) an independent insurance agency that can shop the market for you.

2) your homeowner's insurance company/agency. Do they have preferred rates for handling more of your insurance needs? You may want to shop all of your insurance needs with another agency than the one you have now, too. Ask for quotes.

I can understand your GEICO agency concerns if your son was a teenager, but at 21 and not living in your household anymore, he's on his own and apart from your insurance liability for your full coverage on household vehicles. Sounds like you need an agent who is working on your behalf, not the agent's.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:52 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
It will vary from state to state... I have been using Progressive and it has been OK.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:59 AM

164 posts, read 984,791 times
If you qualify to join USAA Insurance I highly recommend them. They have provided me with the best rates and service for a long time now. It is primarily a military community based insurance company but has been adding members from additional areas as of late. www.usaa.com

Old 01-01-2010, 12:09 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I've had Geico for a while, simply for laziness and the convenience. I found out my son isn't driving his car for the winter. He's been staying with my parents and they have a few feet of snow on the ground. Not ideal weather for a Camaro.

So I called the insurance company and dropped him and the car. The lady says I need proof that he's now covered under my parents insurance so they can take him off mine. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I mean, what if he wasn't driving their vehicles and they were taking him to and from work? But that's fine, whatever.

So I ask the lady if it affects my monthly payment and she says hang on she'll check. Comes back to let me know that my insurance will go up!! I dropped a 21 year old single male driving a sports car and my insurance goes up??

Her reasoning is that even though he's with my parents until spring he *might* come back here to visit and *might* drive one of our cars so it's mandatory we cover him on my husband's Explorer, which is a few years newer and financed so it has more coverage so it's more expensive.

Uh, BS. He won't drive any of our cars, he'd bring one of theirs. Doesn't matter. Insurance company says we have no choice but to cover him on our cars if he's not covered on his own car as long as his physical address on his DL is our home.

Now I'm major pissed. I told her to put him and his car back on and leave it alone and I'd find another insurance company ASAP. Asked to make sure everything was back to normal and the payment would be back to what it was. Nope. Now I have a $4 fee on there for renewing. I've had no accidents and no tickets, nor has hubby or son, so as a thanks for being a long term policy holder with no points, I get a renewal fee? LOL They already charge you each month for making the payments to begin with!! Gah!!!

So, I'm done. Does anyone have a national auto insurance company they can recommend. Apparently Geico enjoys finding creative ways to rip off it's customers.
GEICO customer service is garbage. If his address is the same as yours, you have to cover him if he has a license and does not have a policy elsewhere. We dropped geico when they refused to sack up and fight for us when some old guy backed into my wife in a parking lot, and the sheriff that showed up said she couldn't fault anyone because it was private property, so between the incompetence of the officer, and geico, they lost our business, i had been with them for 7 years... so long. good luck on your hunt, they are all scammers anyways

Old 01-01-2010, 02:07 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

Idiots. The stuff she was telling you was absolutely, completely and totally wrong. But it's their loss.

Get quotes from several different companies. I'm homeowner, and am insuring 4 vehicles plus a motorcycle. In my particular case, when everything was considered, I went with State Farm.

Even so, they've raised my rates several times in the past 18 months (we've had no claims of any kind), so I'm going to do another cost comparison.

Remember: THE INSURANCE COMPANY IS NOT YOUR FRIEND, ANY MORE THAN THE BANK IS YOUR FRIEND.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:44 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Stay away from Nationwide. If you have an accident with anyone who has Nationwide you need to call an attorney right away. My son had his car destroyed by a nationwide driver 2 months ago and nationwide will not settle even though they admit liability. They refuse to pay one cent more than the estimate of the cars value. They wont pay for towing.storage ,loss of work, lost time or even the doctor bill from where he got checked......It will take a lawyer to get just these small additional bills paid....

Old 01-01-2010, 04:41 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
I have had triple A insurance for years. We were members first and then went with them for insurance. I compare it with Geico, Progressive, and Nationwide each year and it cannot be beat...

Old 01-01-2010, 04:41 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
In my experience, the major heavily advertised auto insurance companies don't have good pricing for their coverage.

I'd check into two possible areas for quotes:

1) an independent insurance agency that can shop the market for you.

2) your homeowner's insurance company/agency. Do they have preferred rates for handling more of your insurance needs? You may want to shop all of your insurance needs with another agency than the one you have now, too. Ask for quotes.

I can understand your GEICO agency concerns if your son was a teenager, but at 21 and not living in your household anymore, he's on his own and apart from your insurance liability for your full coverage on household vehicles. Sounds like you need an agent who is working on your behalf, not the agent's.
Exactly. How do you think they pay the lizard and Sgt. Maj. Good Hands? They spend their bucks on ads, not on customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOnRainjer View Post
If you qualify to join USAA Insurance I highly recommend them. They have provided me with the best rates and service for a long time now. It is primarily a military community based insurance company but has been adding members from additional areas as of late. www.usaa.com
So far so good with USAA, tho they did screw over my d-i-l from what I heard, but I was not directly involved so I don't know all the details.

Geiko, Yallstate, I would avoid at all costs.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I've been with State Farm for about 30 years and I'd never consider anybody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive