Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:09 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am missing something, but a 10% difference in high rpm horsepower is irrelevant in a pickup if the pickup is being used as a pickup. IMO, you should be more concerned about low rpm torque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 07:52 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Which might be a good thing.
(Ranger not updated in past decade).

Normally it's best to buy a car or truck that has gotten updated recently, and my first inclination before reading these posts was to choose the Frontier over the Ranger. I confess that I haven't actually driven either one. But maybe the Ranger could kind of be compared to something like the Mercury Grand Marquis, a car that hasn't received a real freshening in ages, yet is very dependable and solid.

Could I ask the OP whether his/her neighbor is looking at a four-cylinder or V6, stick shift or automatic? Also, Nissan's interiors (I'm thinking early 2000s Altimas) were not that good, and that might apply to the Frontier too. To me, this choice between the Frontier and Ranger seems like a near toss-up.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:56 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Maybe I am missing something, but a 10% difference in high rpm horsepower is irrelevant in a pickup if the pickup is being used as a pickup. IMO, you should be more concerned about low rpm torque.
Yes--absolutely! I get the sense that the OP's neighbor isn't planning on schlepping around heavy loads in the truck, but even so, you need good low-end grunt instead of an engine like an earlier Honda S-2000 that redlined at some crazy speed, 9,000 rpm or something.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
since she is looking used at the 01-04 frontiers I would say go with the ranger because of the larger SOHC 4.0 V6 over the smaller 3.3 in the frontier if he/she plans to do any towing the larger motor in the ranger is the best choice plus parts are easy to come by because the 4.0 was used in the ford explorer also and the 8.8 rear end used in the ford is one tough diff even the mustang GT's still use it.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:10 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
(Ranger not updated in past decade).

Could I ask the OP whether his/her neighbor is looking at a four-cylinder or V6, stick shift or automatic? Also, Nissan's interiors (I'm thinking early 2000s Altimas) were not that good, and that might apply to the Frontier too. To me, this choice between the Frontier and Ranger seems like a near toss-up.
The Nissan she drove was a V6 automatic. Maybe that's why she liked it (not as much work to drive for an older woman and it rode smoother). Also, she doesn't plan to do any long-distance driving or carrying any heavy loads.

She still likes the Frontier better so I guess I'll try to wrangle a test-drive myself, just to satisfy my curiosity about any differences from my Ranger.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:23 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times
Well, it was stated earlier, but Ford does not offer a crew cab configuration for the Ranger. If she is looking at a crew cab option, that rules out the Ranger completely. Chevy S-10s and Colorados have a crew cab option, as do the Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma, and Dodge Dakota. Most offer V-6 options, while the Dodge and the newest GMs also offer a V-8 option. It pays to look at other manufacturers besides just Ford and Nissan.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Well, it was stated earlier, but Ford does not offer a crew cab configuration for the Ranger. If she is looking at a crew cab option, that rules out the Ranger completely. Chevy S-10s and Colorados have a crew cab option, as do the Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma, and Dodge Dakota. Most offer V-6 options, while the Dodge and the newest GMs also offer a V-8 option. It pays to look at other manufacturers besides just Ford and Nissan.
The S10 and Colorado are terrible trucks. The Colorado has Consumer Reports lowest "would you buy again" rating at 49%. Yet someone here will defend these as good trucks. The are good compared to what?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,337,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The S10 and Colorado are terrible trucks. The Colorado has Consumer Reports lowest "would you buy again" rating at 49%. Yet someone here will defend these as good trucks. The are good compared to what?
I had a Colorado as a rental for a few days and while I hate to agree with the "american-made vehicles are garbage" crowd, this vehicle certainly felt that way. It was underpowered and the interior felt like it was going to fall apart even though it was brand new (2009).

I owned a 2006 Frontier and had an older Xterra. I would definitely recommend the Nissan. Never had a problem with either of mine.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I had an S-10 that had almost 200k on a stock unopened 2.8 V6 engine and a stock unopened trans. I used to beat that truck unmercifully. Never once did it let up. All I ever did were the routine oil changes. The 2.5 Iron Duke used in that truck has been known to go 300k. So I guess not all of them are terrible, just some of them. But I can understand how hearsay could contribute to a blanket statement.

I can't comment on the Colorado.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
what sucks about the colorado is the inline 5-cylinder which they dropped the proven 4.3 V-6 in from S-10 for but now you can get the 5.3 V8 so now the colorado is able to compete with the dodge dakota

Last edited by GTOlover; 01-04-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive