Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,427,204 times

Advertisements

So I came out this morning to find my car covered in bird droppings. I don't have a garage space to park my car in so I have to park it on a tree lined street. Apparently a flock of birds decided to meet on the tree that my car was parked underneath.

The temperature is not supposed to get above 20-25 degrees for at least a week. Is it ok to wash a car when it's this cold outside or should I just spot clean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,630,423 times
Yes, you can wash the car when its this cold, but you'll need a rubber dish glove to keep your hand from freezing! Try and use a bucket of hot water for the soap.

Also, with such cold weather, be mindful of freezing the windshield wipers, door seals, and door locks shut. Wash the car, but be sure and dry the door seals for doors you plan to use and pull the windshield wipers off the car or they'll tear. Also, if you don't have keyless entry, protect the key hole or you won't be able to get the key in after the water freezes in it.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,676,434 times
Just take it to a car wash place. Its going to be hard to properly dry off everything... that and drying it off before it freezes. Time is money, an $8 car wash can save you an hours worth of work.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,561,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
So I came out this morning to find my car covered in bird droppings. I don't have a garage space to park my car in so I have to park it on a tree lined street. Apparently a flock of birds decided to meet on the tree that my car was parked underneath.

The temperature is not supposed to get above 20-25 degrees for at least a week. Is it ok to wash a car when it's this cold outside or should I just spot clean?
Go to a car wash. Just make sure that you purchase one of the better packages that includes a blow-dry.

Your only problem is going to be the possibility of doors and windows freezing shut. To avoid that, after you go through car wash, take a rag and wipe down all your door and window seals.

You'll be fine.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,427,204 times
Thanks to you all (just saw your reply Omaha)

I don't plan on handwashing my car unless I absolutely have to. I was thinking about taking it to a handwash car place to have someone else do it because the bird droppings are now frozen onto my car. My main concern with washing it in the winter is everything freezing up and the possibility of my windshields cracking/shattering.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:34 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,561,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Thanks to you all (just saw your reply Omaha)

I don't plan on handwashing my car unless I absolutely have to. I was thinking about taking it to a handwash car place to have someone else do it because the bird droppings are now frozen onto my car. My main concern with washing it in the winter is everything freezing up and the possibility of my windshields cracking/shattering.
I lived in Minnesota for the better part of 20 years. I can assure you that you won't have a problem with your windshield cracking or shattering.

Get a good car wash package - one that includes pre-wash & blow-dry - and you should be fine.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 AM

418 posts, read 1,085,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Go to a car wash. Just make sure that you purchase one of the better packages that includes a blow-dry.

Your only problem is going to be the possibility of doors and windows freezing shut. To avoid that, after you go through car wash, take a rag and wipe down all your door and window seals.

You'll be fine.
Then spray a small rag with silicone and go over the seals to further prevent freezing.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:59 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,619,083 times
Being a resident of sunny So Calif, where it's 80 degrees today, I can't imagine a car wash even being open in the winter... They close here if it's cloudy...!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 PM

275 posts, read 740,985 times
Just do not use HOT water, especially on glass...

Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 PM

216 posts, read 642,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Being a resident of sunny So Calif, where it's 80 degrees today, I can't imagine a car wash even being open in the winter... They close here if it's cloudy...!
Here winter is a BIG car wash business season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive