Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:49 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
They are not of the very best quality (like I would name car makers like BMW, Audi, Mercedes) but their quality is quite good and the prices are reasonable. As far as I know Ford has a development center in Cologne, Germany to develop cars for the european market. The Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo are very good selling cars, they have very efficient Diesel-Engines (so called TDCI) which are not avaliable for the american market, I guess.

We should also mention that GM owns Opel, a german car maker with a market share of about 7% in Europe.
Car reliability, most reliable cars

This is a really good read. Volkswagons new Toureg for example is a POS.

I work in a position where I see lots and lots of data on vehicle repairs etc. and quality as you are using the word in no way translates to reliability. BMW in particular stands out in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 09:07 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Funnily enough , I read an article not 30 minutes ago, saying that Chevrolet has sold 19 cars in Norway, this year
Interesting, but meaningless. I doubt Norway even has a Chevy dealership.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Interesting, but meaningless. I doubt Norway even has a Chevy dealership.
They have several, 28 to be precise.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
They have several, 28 to be precise.
Wow... and how do you suppose they stay in business if some can barely sell a single car and others none at all? Your information doesn't make sense or you are withholding details.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:51 AM

224 posts, read 605,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Rarely does a post cause my fail-meter to actually go negative but you just pulled it off.

Ford sold 15.9million cars in Europe last year and has 9% market share.
The European Ford product line has very little to do with the cars we sell here

Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Wow... and how do you suppose they stay in business if some can barely sell a single car and others none at all? Your information doesn't make sense or you are withholding details.
I'm not withholding anything, you said there were none, I gave you the number.

And it's a fairly simple question to answer: They sell other brands too.

For the record, that's usually the norm, it's still a brandname dealership.

I don't think there's a single dealership here who sells just one brand exclusively, the closest is BMW, but they sell the Mini too, in most locations.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I'm not withholding anything, you said there were none, I gave you the number.

And it's a fairly simple question to answer: They sell other brands too.

For the record, that's usually the norm, it's still a brandname dealership.

I don't think there's a single dealership here who sells just one brand exclusively, the closest is BMW, but they sell the Mini too, in most locations.

Fair enough, interesting for sure. I wouldn't have thought GM or any American brand for that matter would invest that much in Norway.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:38 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Domestic car quality has improved greatly in the past 10 years. It's evidenced in pretty much every consumer review out there.

I'd put up Ford against most of the Euro makers in terms of quality and reliability.
i drive a domestic 2003 and it is a P.O.S.

maybe it has improved, but i've heard that song and dance before.

i think American cars are of lower quality and similar reliability as European cars. what is puzzling to me is how they'd buy a lower quality import.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i drive a domestic 2003 and it is a P.O.S.
Not all of the them are great but thats true for any make. What exactly do you own? There was another guy on here (won't mention the name) that was pissing and moaning about his domestic and it turned out to be a particular Chrysler product wildly known for how much they suck. Its like, if you go to the dealer and buy a piece of sh*t its always going to be a piece of sh*t. The logic of some people is simply amazing.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:32 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,226,333 times
Quote:
Not all of the them are great but thats true for any make. What exactly do you own? There was another guy on here (won't mention the name) that was pissing and moaning about his domestic and it turned out to be a particular Chrysler product wildly known for how much they suck. Its like, if you go to the dealer and buy a piece of sh*t its always going to be a piece of sh*t. The logic of some people is simply amazing.
Well said. I'm so tired of hearing " I had a 82 Chevette in 1983 and it was the biggest POS ever, Chevrolets are junk!". My Mom is kind of like this and it annoys me to no end. Her Thunderbird was in fact a POS but now she paints all Fords in the same light. When the tranny went out in her Camry at 30,000 miles, well that was just a fluke .

** For all my fellow car guys, I'm sure you know about the mid 90's Tbirds with the 3.8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive