Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:52 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,816,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
You're proving you are just a back yard mechanic by your statements.
I have been an ASE certified mechanic for many years, and a real mechanic does things the right way, and the safe way. You don't do a half-a$$ed job on brakes..! If you have a caliper hanging up, you can waste your time trying to prove you can fix anything, or you approach it the correct way.
Do a complete front brake job, and be ready to stand behind anything that might happen to that car in the future. If you want to do it your way, back yarder deluxe, and be ready to go to court when your family gets wiped out, then do it your way, but know that you are completely wrong.
A professional does things the right way, they safe way, and stands behind his decisions...
If you like to experment and try to save money, do it on seat covers, not brakes....!
With you here too. Fix it right or don't touch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:56 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,589,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla 1,3L (EDM/JDM) that's developed an annoying and potentially expensive trait since I last used it (4 months ago, it's been driven regularly to prevent all the symptoms that comes when a car stands for too long).

The left front brake pad will stay/be slightly in contact with the brake disc (rotor), at worst it's possible to feel it decrease the car speed (though slowly) when coating, clutch engaged. Most times/at best, it'll make a hell of a lot of screeching sounds.

Obviously there's a lot of heat generated (I actually burnt my finger when touching the rotor for a split second), and I fear warping it.

A friend of mine suggested intensively washing the wheel and brakes, as he though dirt and ice (it's VERY cold at the moment, which affects nearly every feature of the damn thing, hehe) could be the reason it jams up. I did this, and it didn't make much sound after, nor can I really feel any abnormal retardation of speed when coasting, I have heard it squeak a couple of times though, and I haven't driven far.

Is there reason to think the washing took care of it, or would it just be the soap or chemical wash or even the water that hides the noise but doesn't alleviate the problem?

I did clean it very well, and left it in a heated garage (cleaning facility) for about 10-15 minutes after to let it dry/drip off some before driving and parking in the cold again.

Either way, any thoughts? If this hasn't taken care of it, what are the possible suspects? Could old brake fluid alone cause this, and only cause it on one side?

Thanks for any info.

PS. Neither the car nor me are currently in the US, so directly autoshop related tips etc. aren't useful for me, as well meant as they are.
First of all, your PS kind of voids the whole deal here...

That said, I'm going to bet that it's your caliper that is hanging up and not fully releasing. It's also possible that your caliper bolts are dirty and/or rusty, and not allowing it to release.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:58 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,589,753 times
Quote:
To clarify, I could perform the caliper "exercise" myself (I understand the principals of it), but I don't have the location to do so, and it's just not warm enough outside to start doing it there.

Thank you though, M3 Mitch, for your suggestions, had it been summer I would've done so.

How much can the cold weather affect the brake system?
Not much. The only thing it'll do is maybe cause some ice to freeze in there, but a few minutes of driving will take care of that.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:02 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,127,828 times
Quote:
As for replacing the caliper, I was hoping to avoid that, as the cost would be fairly high.
i'm not trying to get too personal into your finances, but a new caliper is actually a fairly cheap repair. parts shouldn't cost more than $50 (unless you need new pads) and the labor is only a couple of hours at best. i would guess a shop would charge $200-$300 for it.

Mike

Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,289,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
I gotta go with you on this one.

No offense intended to the OP but obviously he doesn't know what he's doing or he wouldn't have touched a hot rotor, or asked if washing the wheel and brakes would fix it.
None taken, I know I'm not a mechanic.

I know more than your average car owner, but I'd very much like to learn more, but not outside in 4 degrees Fahrenheit!

I touched the disc more because I couldn't see how far in my finger was, and touched it by accident. (Steel rims, small holes) I was checking the temp difference to see if my assumption about the pad not moving off the rotor was correct, which it turned out to be, hehe.

As for the original question, I asked because a friend of mine, who's done more practical car maintenance than me suggested it. He suggested it because of the extreme temperatures lately, and he knew it hadn't been washed in over 4 months, so dirt and brake dust would have built up (especially if the pads have been laying on the rotor for a while, which I suspect it has, based on the amount of it that was flushed out, I can't say for sure though, as I haven't driven it myself in 4 months, until a couple of days ago.

I also asked to get some suggestions before alternatively taking it to a mechanic, as it's extremely expensive here (think $3-400 for the caliper itself than $100 an hour for labor, and 3-6 hour labor time). The car is aging, and I'm selling it in 6 months, I'm a student at the moment, with no income, and as such I don't have that much money to use on repairs.

I do think myself that the caliper need a repair kit or replacement though, but I wanted to hear any ideas before I end up doing so, considering it can save me a decent lump of money.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:09 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,235,222 times
Here is my general feeling on brakes. I hate to mess with them because they are safety critical. I'll mess around with a lot of other stuff but working on brakes on a car kind of makes my hair stand on end.

But....they are not difficult to work on....nor are they 'rocket science'.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:10 PM

where are you getting a $300-$400 cost for the caliper from? that's insane!! and while your labor rate is not far off, this job can't take more than 3 hours MAX, and that's being generous. barring any other surprises, i would guess closer to 1.5-2 hours.

Mike

Old 01-06-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It's also possible that your caliper bolts are dirty and/or rusty, and not allowing it to release.
If that's the case, a proper cleaning of the area would to the job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Not much. The only thing it'll do is maybe cause some ice to freeze in there, but a few minutes of driving will take care of that.
What about large collections of dirt, mainly brake dust, partially mixed with ice and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
i'm not trying to get too personal into your finances, but a new caliper is actually a fairly cheap repair. parts shouldn't cost more than $50 (unless you need new pads) and the labor is only a couple of hours at best. i would guess a shop would charge $200-$300 for it.

Mike
No need to be gentle, I'm not made of glass.

Check my post above though, where I am, I'm looking at $300 (confirmed) only in parts, and that's actually just the caliper, any additional parts would be added on to that price. Labor is roughly $100 an hour at my preferred autoshop. (they're very good, and actually the cheapest in town)

Old 01-06-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
where are you getting a $300-$400 cost for the caliper from? that's insane!! and while your labor rate is not far off, this job can't take more than 3 hours MAX, and that's being generous. barring any other surprises, i would guess closer to 1.5-2 hours.

Mike
Norway

General income levels do compensate for the high living costs here, problem is, I go to school and I have no income at all, simply living off my savings.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Norway

General income levels do compensate for the high living costs here, problem is, I go to school and I have no income at all, simply living off my savings.
holy crap Norway is pricey!!!!!

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive