Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:50 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,250,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla 1,3L (EDM/JDM) that's developed an annoying and potentially expensive trait since I last used it (4 months ago, it's been driven regularly to prevent all the symptoms that comes when a car stands for too long).

The left front brake pad will stay/be slightly in contact with the brake disc (rotor), at worst it's possible to feel it decrease the car speed (though slowly) when coating, clutch engaged. Most times/at best, it'll make a hell of a lot of screeching sounds.

Obviously there's a lot of heat generated (I actually burnt my finger when touching the rotor for a split second), and I fear warping it.

A friend of mine suggested intensively washing the wheel and brakes, as he though dirt and ice (it's VERY cold at the moment, which affects nearly every feature of the damn thing, hehe) could be the reason it jams up. I did this, and it didn't make much sound after, nor can I really feel any abnormal retardation of speed when coasting, I have heard it squeak a couple of times though, and I haven't driven far.

Is there reason to think the washing took care of it, or would it just be the soap or chemical wash or even the water that hides the noise but doesn't alleviate the problem?

I did clean it very well, and left it in a heated garage (cleaning facility) for about 10-15 minutes after to let it dry/drip off some before driving and parking in the cold again.

Either way, any thoughts? If this hasn't taken care of it, what are the possible suspects? Could old brake fluid alone cause this, and only cause it on one side?

Thanks for any info.

PS. Neither the car nor me are currently in the US, so directly autoshop related tips etc. aren't useful for me, as well meant as they are.
It sound like you either have a warped rotor or a sticking caliper? Check both of them out. Rugged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Also to be considered is the LIABILITY when it comes to repairing brakes on a vehicle. NO shop wants a LAW SUIT.

NO respectable shop would ever consider replacing just one front or rear brake shoes or pads or just one wheel cyl etc. Braking functions on the front or rear operate in pairs.

Steve
From a shops POV ideally they would want to replace anything they could get their hands on. The more repairs, the more money they make. In a world where there was no concern of liability the shop would still use "safety" as a means of doing more work to the vehicle. Using fire and brimstone is not an acceptable way of taking people's money IMO.

While I agree that hoses, pads, rotors/drums should be changed in pairs I do NOT agree that calipers and wheel cylinders should undergo the same treatment. A caliper/cylinder is not considered a wear item and rarely will they malfunction if the fluid is properly flushed out. Besides... all this talk of REPLACING the calipers when they can easily be REBUILT DIY style.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:24 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
From a shops POV ideally they would want to replace anything they could get their hands on. The more repairs, the more money they make. In a world where there was no concern of liability the shop would still use "safety" as a means of doing more work to the vehicle. Using fire and brimstone is not an acceptable way of taking people's money IMO.

While I agree that hoses, pads, rotors/drums should be changed in pairs I do NOT agree that calipers and wheel cylinders should undergo the same treatment. A caliper/cylinder is not considered a wear item and rarely will they malfunction if the fluid is properly flushed out. Besides... all this talk of REPLACING the calipers when they can easily be REBUILT DIY style.
A malfunctioning caliper is often no more than a leaking seal, or a "rust ring" around the inside of the caliper cylinder. $5.00 and a couple hours, and you essentially have rebuilt calipers.

The problem is that you need both the tools and the know-how to do the caliper work yourself. And the know-how part is complicated by the fact that not all calipers come apart in the same way.

I think what a lot of people - myself included - are inclined to do is simply replace the caliper, provided the rebuilt one isn't too expensive (a lot of them only run about $30-$35).

Old 01-11-2010, 03:52 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
A malfunctioning caliper is often no more than a leaking seal, or a "rust ring" around the inside of the caliper cylinder. $5.00 and a couple hours, and you essentially have rebuilt calipers.

The problem is that you need both the tools and the know-how to do the caliper work yourself. And the know-how part is complicated by the fact that not all calipers come apart in the same way.

I think what a lot of people - myself included - are inclined to do is simply replace the caliper, provided the rebuilt one isn't too expensive (a lot of them only run about $30-$35).
That's pretty much what they shop is going to try first, together with a fluid change.

Thankfully, over here you occasionally come across some that are more interested in doing a good job and keeping your business than taking your money.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 AM

Well, cars back, and so far seems to be working pretty good.

They changed the brake fluid and picked apart and lubricated both calipers up front (they checked the right one too and found it was a little "sticky" too, so did that as well.

He did warn me that they couldn't guarantee it would work, but if it didn't and I needed new calipers, they would give me a very good price on the work, since they already tried this (pretty much bolt them on for free/next to nothing).

Seems to be working fine again though, so I'm happy. Total damage was about $350, which is very good, all things considered. (Norway remember ) They only charged half price for parts of the job.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:04 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Well, cars back, and so far seems to be working pretty good.

They changed the brake fluid and picked apart and lubricated both calipers up front (they checked the right one too and found it was a little "sticky" too, so did that as well.

He did warn me that they couldn't guarantee it would work, but if it didn't and I needed new calipers, they would give me a very good price on the work, since they already tried this (pretty much bolt them on for free/next to nothing).

Seems to be working fine again though, so I'm happy. Total damage was about $350, which is very good, all things considered. (Norway remember ) They only charged half price for parts of the job.
This is good to hear!

$350 is a heckuva lot of money for that - but as you said, it's Norway, so that price is only relevant to you.

I hope it continues to work!

Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 AM

Labor alone is $160 an hour.

They only charged me for 1,5 hours, instead of the 2 they usually charge for that job, so I'm not complaining. They gave me half price on the brake fluid too.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:23 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Quote:

They only charged me for 1,5 hours, instead of the 2 they usually charge for that job, so I'm not complaining. They gave me half price on the brake fluid too.
Seems like you use a good shop. I'm also guessing they didn't rattle on for hours about how UNSAFE it is to rebuild brake components. They must be REAL mechanics not just monkeys with a fancy patch on their jacket.

Glad it worked out for ya.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Seems like you use a good shop. I'm also guessing they didn't rattle on for hours about how UNSAFE it is to rebuild brake components. They must be REAL mechanics not just monkeys with a fancy patch on their jacket.

Glad it worked out for ya.
Thanks, yeah they're good people, they gave me a discount on the already cheap rental too.

They just told me to check if the discs were warm after longer drives every now and then to make sure it worked.

They're def. real mechanics and not Replacement Jockies like some others, I recommend them to everyone, all the time.

Thanks for the good words and the help, I do feel smarter now, and more prepared to do more of it myself next time.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Quote:
HOLY CRAP

Is everything expensive there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive