Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Back in the 1980s, our local K-mart was a good place to take the car for repairs. The guy running the shop use to repair race cars. He trained most of the mechanics working there. They'd even replace head gaskets or replace rods and pistons back then. Many of their mechanics had personal vehicles they were allowed to work on inside the shop if business was slow or on their own time as long as they paid for their own parts. These were guys who knew what they were doing. They eventually cut loose those mechanics and replaced them with less skilled/cheaper labor and reduced what they were allowed to do on a vehicle.
You have to find a place where the guy that is running the shop knows what he is doing. PERIOD.

I have been to some chain places that have been truly outstanding. For years, I used a Pep Boys and a Car-Ex and really received excellent and competent service. However, when the good manager moved on, the service went down quite a bit and it was time to find another shop.

I have had really MIXED results with the independent shops that I have used. Some have been excellent and in two cases, they really screwed up my vehicle to the extent that I pursued legal action. I have to admit that the WORST shops that I have ever used are ones that AAA has towed me to. So now I pay a little extra and get the car towed where I want to go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 12:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I know right.
My aunts best friend has a 2001 VW Jetta with only 36K miles.

She took it to Wal-Mart a few months ago to have her oil changed... they told her after that her driverside window had shattered! She had never had any problems with it before that.

There was also another occasion when it had only 18K miles - they told her she had an oil leak and needed a new engine. What morons. Turns out THEY had buggered the plug.

One time I took my classic 1973 Pontiac for new tires... then the slob that was backing out after when he pulled out he literally gunned it and squalled the tires. That made me cross!

Who did he think he was doing my car like that?
I'm trying to figure out why you keep going back to Wally World...

Old 01-10-2010, 12:33 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo2lowkey View Post
Well if u look at the situation with only being two cables, ground and hot or red and black, how can one screw that up? Anyway if u switch the cables I cant see how that can destroy 2 circuit boards. There's more to the story to be told that Wakmart didn't tell my coworker.
Or your coworker didn't tell you, maybe? We've taken our cars to Walmart for service as long as I can remember. Only had one problem. Drove home after a service and was filling my windshield washer fluid (I only use Rain-X and ask them not to fill it) when I noticed some dipstick had left my oil dipstick laying on top of the breather. I called back to tell the manager about it. Got my next oil change free.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 PM

274 posts, read 860,267 times
Quote:
I have a coworker recently took his 07 Dodge Ram Quad into Walmart Servce for a new battery installation after his car died on the way home. Simple job u would think. He jump the car off and took it in to Walmart close to were his car died. He took off to do somethings, he get the call his truck willn't start. Some how the wires got switch resulting in 2 burn out computer board. 1 being the circuit board for his 4x4 induction system. The other being his main computer board.

At first they claim they're not responsible for the damage and towing fees. After arguing with the management they finally accept the responsibilies. So be careful if u ever need service from Walmart. $2100 bill for Walmart.
I work at Wal Mart (temporarily) until I can get something else. The people they hire are oil changers. I would only get an oil change nothing else. Keep in mind the workers at Wal Mart are very low paid and therfore your only going to get workers who need a job. Not highly skilled professionals. Pay more go to a real mechanic and if you can help it dont shop at WM. Go to Target. Maybe oneday they will pay their workers a living wage that can support a family.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:12 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Pay more go to a real mechanic and if you can help it dont shop at WM. Go to Target. Maybe oneday they will pay their workers a living wage that can support a family.
That will be a cold day in hell when that happens. Wal Mart is all about cheap labor and selling cheap Chinese made stuff while some big wig in the head honcho office makes millions all the time off of everyone and anyone who shops there, oh and he probably doesn't even shop at his own stores.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:16 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post

In CA Wal-Mart will not sell firearms, once mentioned it was part of a deal with Rosie O'Donald back when she advertised for them. I believe it is the demanding CA laws that prohibit their sales.
That was Kmart.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:34 PM

941 posts, read 3,910,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I don't have to think twice about the service department at ANY WalMart.

The answer is "No."

Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 PM

141 posts, read 504,646 times
After Wally world twice sent my truck to the parking lot "done" with at least 1 qt. more oil than required I never went back. They also lost my air cleaner wing nut once, never found it, they sent me to autozone to get another one, then Wally world reimbursed me for it.
I should explain that the only reason I was taking it there was because I could get a oil change for around $28 with full synthetic Mobil one. I was buying my own Mobil one for right at $24 at the time. So I figured for $4 more I might as well let them do it, especially since I kind of know what to look for mistake wise (overfill) etc.

I too, rotate and torque my own wheels. In tire shops defense though, these days they do have torque limiting extensions they use on air guns. They have them for different levels of foot pounds of torque, they actually work pretty well, I have tried them, then used my torque wrench to check them and they are usually pretty close to the same.

Last edited by wingit; 01-10-2010 at 06:48 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 06:22 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,249,857 times
Quote:
I have a coworker recently took his 07 Dodge Ram Quad into Walmart Servce for a new battery installation after his car died on the way home. Simple job u would think. He jump the car off and took it in to Walmart close to were his car died. He took off to do somethings, he get the call his truck willn't start. Some how the wires got switch resulting in 2 burn out computer board. 1 being the circuit board for his 4x4 induction system. The other being his main computer board.

At first they claim they're not responsible for the damage and towing fees. After arguing with the management they finally accept the responsibilies. So be careful if u ever need service from Walmart. $2100 bill for Walmart.
WAL-MART hires hamfisted idiots and I would never take my stuff there, even if I didn't do most all of my own work. They are tools and use sh**** products such as oil and over tighten drain plugs and strip them out. They also cross thread lug nuts and God knows what else? Rugged

Old 01-12-2010, 12:13 AM

527 posts, read 1,323,604 times
This one's easy.

You typically, typically get what you're paying for. People pay more money to hire more specialized, and more experienced people for certain jobs. WM offers basic services for a cheap price. Going by logic you'd expect that there will be instances where a half ass job was done, or done incorrectly. I would expect this if I paid someone a rediculously cheap price to change my battery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive