Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:09 PM

206 posts, read 571,738 times

Advertisements

Thank you, but I was asking about cutting a hole through the bed and placing a piece of steel plate over it after completion. Can't take bed off due to three tool boxes and a ladder rack. Anyone who has done this or know someone who has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
If you know where to cut, and have a good cutting tool, and don't damage any of the fuel pump fittings or wires while cutting, in principle you could cut an access door. You might be able to find a pre-fabbed door with frame made out of metal that would work, not look too bad. You want to make sure you don't arrange things so you are letting water drip from the bed right onto the fuel pump.

If a good pro shop can do your bed as 3-steps suggests, if they can really do this for an hour or less worth of labor, as hard core of a DIY guy as I am, I would be thinking about farming this job out. If this is a work truck, with any luck this will be the last fuel pump you put in, I'm thinking..

Old 01-11-2010, 07:43 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrja View Post
Thank you, but I was asking about cutting a hole through the bed and placing a piece of steel plate over it after completion. Can't take bed off due to three tool boxes and a ladder rack. Anyone who has done this or know someone who has?
Where are you located? If you cut a hole it may be a source of severe corrosion down the road. Seems like a good idea though, just seal it up real good.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,227 times
Thats a hack. drop the tank and do it right. And yes, its a pita.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
Thats a hack. drop the tank and do it right. And yes, its a pita.
Well it's a hack if poorly done, but it's a custom upgrade if you do an excellent job of cutting and of fabricating the new cover.

Come to think of that, probably the best thing would be to get at least a section from the floor of the bed of a junked truck, so you can make the replacement panel a little bigger than the access port you cut. Again, be careful what you use to cut, and how you do it, don't blow yourself up by cutting into a fuel line and/or a live wire (not funny if you actually do it)

Cut out a corresponding section from the junk bed about 2" wider and longer than the hole. Attach cover with sheet-metal screws. Consider carefully where the pointed end of the screw will end up, how far it will be from wires and hoses.

For a work truck, which is unlikely to ever be displayed at Pebble Beach, I guess I don't have a problem with this, I would consider it "correcting an OEM mistake" in that GM really ought to have put a removable cover in the bed in the first place, IMHO. A fuel pump may last the life of a vehicle, but in general they do not.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:52 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
I would use a BIG hole saw for this job. After you have done the fuel work I would paint or undercoat the edges of the hole to prevent corrosion. Mitch has a good suggestion on finding a junkyard truck so you can cut a section out of its bed, its likely corrugated so it will be nice to have a perfect fit. Personally, I love epoxy, so I would probably epoxy the entire patch to the bed. Using an epoxy will also seal off the patch/hole from unwanted condensation getting underneath and rotting or perhaps dripping all over the fuel stuff. If you ever need to work on it again you can bust up the epoxy and pop off the patch. Lots of other ways to do it as well.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:06 PM

206 posts, read 571,738 times
Thank you all for the input. Decided to drop the tank and do it right the first time. And yes gbugmiami, it is a pita!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:55 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrja View Post
I was going to say, that's the redneck way of doing it, plus you'd have to know EXACTLY where the fuel sump was or you'd end up cutting bigger holes playing guessing games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive