U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,892,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
OK - Question: Why do people drive in good road conditions with foglights on?
I have noticed a tendency for many drivers to drive with the foglights on all the time. Have they just forgotten to switch them off after the last incident of foul weather or do they believe that any extra light is better at night? Is it illegal to drive with foglights on in good conditions? ( It is in England)
Not only do the extra lights, which are designed to pick up the road edges in bad weather, glare into the eyes of oncoming drivers but they worsen the owner drivers night vision by lighting only narrow band close to the front of the vehicle
In England there is an auxillary dash light ( similar to main beam warning light) that comes on when you foglights are lit, I checked my car and there is only a small LED on the switch
Honestly, in my car there's no indication the fog lights are on, and truth be told, I don't actually notice them when they are on... Having driven through thick fog, I'm not sure I even noticed them make a difference...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:56 PM

28 posts, read 48,206 times
This is such a pet peeve probably because I lived in Europe for 17 years and had to pass a very comprehensive driving test before getting a license to drive in the EU. Anyone can get a license in the US apparently as long as they have $20 and can pass an eye exam.

Frankly, I think the government should step in a make it illegal to burn fog lamps (front or rear) when there's no fog. In Europe you pay a hefty fine for it. US cities could make a killing off of this and by pulling people over for not turning their lamps on when it's raining.

And to the guy who said his fogs go on automatically - bull****! No car is designed for the fogs to go on WITH the headlights. They have to be turned on manually. My Audi had an auto on feature and when I wanted the fogs on I had to override the auto function by turning and pulling the switch out one notch. Pulling it out twice got the front and rear fogs on at the same time. Pulling the brights, turned the front fogs off. Even flashing the brights flashed the fogs off then back on.

Fog lights are for fog, period. Anyone using them on clear nights are doing so because they think it's fashionable. On tall trucks they are especially blinding and annoying. They are usually not properly aimed especially on Toyota Tundras for some reason. The Euro cars almost always have rear fog lights and people in the US have no clue what they are there for but think it's cute to turn them on. If a policeman is reading this, pull the idiot over and tell him to turn it off. I'll bet money the driver doesn't even know how to turn it off. You don't need fog lamps to be seen day or night. If people used common sense, their headlights AND THEIR BLINKERS, we'd all be better off.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 AM

5,229 posts, read 13,446,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by praguer56 View Post
And to the guy who said his fogs go on automatically - bull****! No car is designed for the fogs to go on WITH the headlights. They have to be turned on manually.
Actually many newer cars use the fogs/driving lights as DRLs and they do come on automatically

Funny thing is your Audi company started using LEDs for DRLs and they are brighter than the foglights that you hate.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 AM

3,005 posts, read 5,712,181 times
Euro (rear) fogs are dangerous because they are a constant light that looks like a false brake light.

Front fogs, at least on regular cars are and should be aimed in a low wide beam out in front of the vehicle. I don't see how that would blind anyone.

Like most people, the only things that annoy me are lifted trucks with their lights directly in my rearview, people with brights, or those with bad aftermarket lighting.

I've never been annoyed by a set of fogs.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:04 AM

43,185 posts, read 53,835,610 times
I keep my lights on "auto" all the time, so I don't have a clue if that includes my fog lights or not.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM

5,107 posts, read 15,660,236 times
Quote:
...Frankly, I think the government should step in a make it illegal to burn fog lamps (front or rear) when there's no fog....
Yeah, that's just what we need, more regulations from the governement.

Quote:
Fog lights are for fog, period. Anyone using them on clear nights are doing so because they think it's fashionable...
That is your opinion and not true. There are other reasons for using them on clear nights.

Quote:
On tall trucks they are especially blinding and annoying. They are usually not properly aimed especially on Toyota Tundras for some reason....
Depending the location (height) of the lights, I could agree with them being a blinding concern for other drivers. For lights are typically lower than headlights on a vehicle so I think the headlights are a bigger blinding concern.

Quote:
You don't need fog lamps to be seen day or night...
I disagree. On an overcast day, some drivers cannot see silver cars...which I drive.

How can driving this car with the fog lights on hinder your ability to drive? The lights are basically pot-hole finders.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do people drive in good road conditions with foglights on?-cobalt-sport-front.jpg  

Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 AM

3,869 posts, read 14,265,863 times
Euro (rear) fogs are illegal in the USA.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 PM

14,420 posts, read 22,583,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Really? I see them here every once in a while, including just a week ago. Should I have called the cops?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,463,130 times
I'll show you.........

Most people on this site know I'm a country guy and live rural.

This is an actual pic of just one day on the roads while at work in my work truck here.

I snapped this pic just as I almost slammed into six deer....

Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 PM

4,795 posts, read 11,508,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I don't have rear fog lights but have wondered if they might be an effective deterrent to tailgaters.
I do use my fog lights sometimes when it is dusk and my low beams don't seem to be penetrating the gloom very effectively yet, the fog lights help me see better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive