Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:56 PM

219 posts, read 658,210 times

Advertisements

First of all, I apologize if I'm repeating things but I don't feel like reading 16 pages of the great fog light debate lol.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
------------------------------

It is one of those things I have always wondered about. Mainly because every car I have ever owned/been in has it so you can't have your high beams on at the same time as your fogs.

So I don't understand why I see people driving down these dark back roads with just their low beams and fog lights on. I understand the "it looks cool" argument and I understand the "well I bought the option so I'm gunna use it!" argument, but is it worth hitting a deer?

Just my thoughts. I personally just use them in well....fog! and in heavy snow when your High-beams blind you and fogs help you see the sides of the road better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post
First of all, I apologize if I'm repeating things but I don't feel like reading 16 pages of the great fog light debate lol.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
------------------------------

It is one of those things I have always wondered about. Mainly because every car I have ever owned/been in has it so you can't have your high beams on at the same time as your fogs.

So I don't understand why I see people driving down these dark back roads with just their low beams and fog lights on. I understand the "it looks cool" argument and I understand the "well I bought the option so I'm gunna use it!" argument, but is it worth hitting a deer?

Just my thoughts. I personally just use them in well....fog! and in heavy snow when your High-beams blind you and fogs help you see the sides of the road better.
I have an 04 Subaru Forester. My "fog light" switch is an auxillary push button that is completely separate from the marker lights, lowbeam lights, and higheam lights that are on the control stalk. I have numerous uses for fog lights. I live close to the country so they add needed illumination to complement the low beams for night driving and for seeing possible wildlife on completely dark country roads. They also lead to a safety advantage in poor visibility driving conditions, snow, and low sun angle days common in winter. You are also more visible to other drivers with the low beams and fog lights on at the same time. Just my two cents on the matter

Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 AM

202 posts, read 532,323 times
I keep my foglights on because my headlights are horrible and it gives me a little extra light, and it looks super cool.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:35 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
For safety's sake. It provides better visibility of the car to others. Some cars keep them on automatically, it's called daytime running lights. My 2008 Honda Accord has them, they're easy to disable but I keep them on at all times.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post
.So I don't understand why I see people driving down these dark back roads with just their low beams and fog lights on. I understand the "it looks cool" argument and I understand the "well I bought the option so I'm gunna use it!" argument, but is it worth hitting a deer?
In regards to hitting a deer. The high beams on my truck may light up the ROAD well ahead but the fogs cover reflections from the eyes just as far while giving a good picture of the sides of the road in front of me without blinding oncoming traffic. Deer generally need to come from the sides of the road before entering the road so my "fog" lights give me a good warning of when Bambi might be an issue. BTW, there are a lot of them around here.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:01 PM

28 posts, read 54,993 times
Since we're all "other drivers" to everybody else on the road, it's well to think of roadway safety as a cooperative effort. Too many people (as evidenced by the comments here) don't care about the other guy and do what they want, regardless of the consequences. In most driving situations, fog lamps are neither useful nor necessary, but more people use their fog lamps when the prevailing conditions don’t call for their use, than use them when the conditions do call for their use. Nobody thinks your car is cool because it has fog lamps, and glare is dangerous, regardless of what you think. So do yourself and everyone a favor: choose them carefully, aim them properly, use them thoughtfully, and leave them off except when they’re genuinely necessary - ESPECIALLY REAR FOGS. Please be respectful.

P.S. I drive a Volvo and the lights are on 24/7 by design. I can't turn them off even if I wanted to. And the fog lights are separate switches so there's no confusing them.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:06 PM

28 posts, read 54,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
For safety's sake. It provides better visibility of the car to others. Some cars keep them on automatically, it's called daytime running lights. My 2008 Honda Accord has them, they're easy to disable but I keep them on at all times.
The Acura MDX has foglights/day time running lights (DRL) mounted low below the bumper. Their owners have no clue that they're providing only a low level light that isn't seen in a rear view mirror. They're basically useless in terms of lighting. Moreover, the rear of the car, like all cars with DRLs aren't on during the late evening, nights or during the rain. My guess is that the dash lights are on so the drivers just don't see that their lights aren't on.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
In broad open daylight I'd venture to say they either don't know it or want to just get noticed. After market fogs lights are a big seller.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,205 times
Default Fog lights: automotive jewelry

I didn't read every post, but I noticed that most of the people who knowingly use their fog lights in everyday driving conditions (when it's dark) have lame reasons or seem a bit defensive.

Allow me to paraphrase, "I paid for them so I'll use 'em." Nauseating. Or, "I feel safer," "I can see the edges of the road," "I can see animals better," "I want to make sure everyone can see me so I don't get in an accident." BS.

Sure, there are people who admit their fog lights are the finishing touch to their car, and use them because they think they look cool and other people care. I wish all of the people who use them when IT'S NOT FOGGY would just admit the same thing.

Look, you don't need to see the edges of the road. You need to keep looking ahead. You are not safer in any way by having them on. We can already see you. And the animals can, too. They probably smelled you first.

And the problem is NOT that they blind other drivers, you ninny. What they do is just add more 'noise' for other drivers to have to contend with. They also limit your long distance vision abilities, which may explain your accident, which is why you now need to feel safer, so you will probably never drive without your fog lights on BECAUSE THE WORLD IS SUCH A SCARY PLACE AND I'M ENTITLED, THAT'S WHY!

Auto companies know the data on how useless they are. Fog lights are for style points. Adding them to a vehicle allows them to charge more, while positioning them as a "desirable option." They're brainwashing you, people! We won the battle over landau vinyl tops, we can beat this one too!

Next time I'll vent on people who insist on parking on the wrong side of the street. You know, facing the wrong direction. Lazy bastards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive