U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:33 PM

11,029 posts, read 25,861,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
I have noticed some newer Dodge Ram and GM Pickups have VERY bright fog/driving lights. The look like airplane landing lights. They look brighter than the regular head lights and pointing more "up". I bet they are useless in fog. They would reflect back like high beams in fog. The best real fog lights are mounted low, have a wide field and are YELLOW.
hmm I never knew yellow was better
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 07:38 AM

3,999 posts, read 8,280,244 times
Quite a few people seem to quote this fact, that they think it makes their car more easily seen.

I drive a Volvo.
The lights are permanently on.

And yet STILL, I get idiots pulling out in front of me.

How do you explain that then ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Mine came on the car, and I often turn them on, simply because I figure it's something else to make me stand out -- less chance of somebody not seeing me, maybe, and pulling out into my lane or something. They're not obnoxious, just set into the lower part of the front bumper.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 PM

898 posts, read 1,304,477 times
I'll tell you why I put them on at night, though I do shut them off when approaching other vehicles. On my vehicle, the fog lights shine more off to the sides of the road then the regular lights (even on high beam). I live in Maine, and we have a lot of deer and moose collisions here. Anything that gives me a better chance of spotting those animals in time to stop, I'm in favor of. Moose can be deadly!

Old 01-15-2010, 06:09 PM

10,255 posts, read 20,160,941 times
I just think they look cool. Simple enough.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 PM

8,364 posts, read 28,846,647 times
Wife's car has factory fog lights and I have them switched to come on whenever we turn on the headlights. It fills in all of the 'gaps' in the area between the front of the car and where the low beams start. It's somewhat of an extra-low beam so they won't shine in anyone's eyes. They are also the same color temperature as the other headlights. So I don't really see what the big deal is here. It's a nice feature.

On the other hand, the yellow riceboy fog lights that are aimed upwards like a high beam, and essentially do nothing... annoying.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:45 PM

7,305 posts, read 25,822,858 times
Why? Because they are morons. Just kidding. I honestly think many people dont even know they are on because of the way some of the switches are designed.

Seriously though, some cars (at least on my 1991 Lexus) have the fog light switch on the same switch as the headlights, which is good, but they are designed to come on when you turn on the headlights if the foglight switch is on. I think they should have a seperate switch for foglights or have a reset type switch where it cuts off when you turn on the headlights and has to be reset when you turn on the headlights. If that makes any sense....

On my 1988 Mercedes, its incorporated on the headlight switch as well, but its on the dash panel and on that car, after you turn on the headlights you have to pull the switch to get the fogs to come on and when you turn off the headlights, it resets the fog lights.

On my aunts 2001 Nissan, its the same setup as my 1991 Lexus... I have noticed her foglights are always on if her headlights are on... I dont even think she realizes it.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:32 PM

20,005 posts, read 73,119,709 times
I drive with my fogs on in winter quite often....

My, what bright lights you have!

All the better to see lurking potholes with, my dear.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:35 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,621,510 times
In my case, three reasons:

1) Better illumination of the area immediately in front of my car during low-speed driving;

2) They illuminate the sides of the road better (while the headlights point straight down the road) which gives a little more warning if critters run in front of my car and it illuminates side lanes/markers better;

3) On one of my cars, the aim on the headlights sucks and there is no easy way to adjust them, so the fog lights essentially function as my supplemental headlights. On that particular car, the brights are absolutely useless.

After reading through this thread, I can't believe how much anger there is at people who drive with their fog lights on, especially those complaining that it affects their vision. Erm... well, they shouldn't, unless you're staring right at them because you're so distracted by your anger that someone is using their fog lights in clear weather.

Last edited by Drover; 01-15-2010 at 11:19 PM..

Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,072,363 times
Honestly, I can't stand it when people have their fog lights on in clear weather either. I work as a valet and whenever I notice the fog lights are on, I cut them off. NOT necessary.

Though the above is a nuisance, people driving without any lights on in the rain is more annoying. ALSO, there are people in my town who drive around in the dark without any lights on at all... in the DARK! Savannah, IMO, is the worst city for drivers who drive without any lights on at all in the dark. Even after I flash my lights at them. Idiots...

Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 PM

10,255 posts, read 20,160,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I work as a valet and whenever I notice the fog lights are on, I cut them off. NOT necessary.
All that's necessary of you is that you park and fetch the cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive