Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:41 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times

Advertisements

This brings back memories!

I've probably poured everything in my radiators at one time or another back in my younger days. Anyhow, as mentioned above, its a temp fix, I think the longest I got was a couple months using black pepper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 08:45 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Most of those temporary gimmicks usually screw things up...more than they help.

More cars have been screwed up by driving hot after losing coolant than putting pepper in a radiator.

Way more !

Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM

108 posts, read 285,553 times
Those of you that are even considering doing such ridiculous "witchdoctor, voodoo" temporary fixes should have your heads examined because your heads are hollow between your ears.

Properly repair the radiator, or install a brand new one, or a cleaned and tested used one.
You cannot afford to monkey with something as vital to your car's operation as the thing that cools your engine. Be a dumbass and maybe luck will be with you as they say dumb fools get all the luck don't they....... Seriously, if you own and drive a car, you need to be prepared to keep said vehicle in operational condition. If you own a beater or possibly a POS, you need to keep substantial reserve funds at the ready because there will be necessary items like this. Call around and find a shop that will repair or replace your radiator at a fair price. Do it yourself if you think you are capable of doing so. New and/or rebuilt radiators can be sourced from many sources, on-line, NAPA, AUTO ZONE, ADVANCE, ROCK-AUTO, JC WHITNEY, O'REILLYS, and hundreds of other sources.
Depending on the make and model, the radiator part cost might possibly be as low as $100 new and possibly around $400 for some models. Typically one can expect to find many for between $100 and $300.
Be sure to replace all rubber cooling hoses, and get a brand new radiator cap, or at least have your existing radiator cap pressure tested to make sure it is still functional.

It is your choice but Black Pepper will only seal very small pinhole type leaks and you will be living on borrowed time as you will always wonder about the integrity of the fix.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Richards View Post
Those of you that are even considering doing such ridiculous "witchdoctor, voodoo" temporary fixes should have your heads examined because your heads are hollow between your ears.
You are aware, are you not, that some products such as AlumaSeal and SilverSeal actually do work wonderfully for some leaks? I'm sure you do know that, because I'm sure you are in a position of knowledge that qualifies you to make comments such as the one above...

By the way, what is your line of work?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 AM

358 posts, read 886,658 times
I am acquainted with a chap who used an egg to plug a leak and drove his vehicle for four years thereafter without having permanent repairs. I suspect his result was the exception rather than typical.

Personally I woudl not know. My vehicles are inspected with some frequency. Any kind of a failure in a pinch would cost far more than a regular inspection and occasional repair. Thus, I have not had a failure where I would need such a fix since I was a youth.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
I am acquainted with a chap who used an egg to plug a leak and drove his vehicle for four years thereafter without having permanent repairs. I suspect his result was the exception rather than typical.

Personally I woudl not know. My vehicles are inspected with some frequency. Any kind of a failure in a pinch would cost far more than a regular inspection and occasional repair. Thus, I have not had a failure where I would need such a fix since I was a youth.
His case is very much the exception rather than the norm.

There are several things for which no amount of any kind of "sealer" is going to work - or work properly: A worn water pump that is starting to lose water through the seep hole (this is a design that allows you to know the water pump is "on its way out" rather than just having a sudden failure), leaking radiator or heater hoses, head gasket failure, cracked head, and/or large holes in the radiator.

Also, the reason products like AlumaSeal and SilverSeal used to be more effective than they are today, is because radiators used to be metal. Now they're plastic.

In addition, if you dump some of the "black clumpy" products into your coolant system, you run a high risk of plugging up the radiator and/or the heater core.

The bottom line, however, is that some products work - and in some applications, work permanently.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:46 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
What about airless spare donuts? Do they go bad after a certain time frame and also need to be replaced?

Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 14,110 times
Default Yes it works

I had a leak and when it was looked at by a mechanic it turned out to be an intake valve leak. Apparently antifreeze was leaking out and also leaking into the engine causing the fluid level to get low and also make the car run bad as antifreeze leaking into the intake. Since it is a van and nothing, i mean nothing is easy to get at, the cost would have been over $900. I remembered this easy fix of Black pepper from years ago. I have to admit I used alot more than a few tablespoons of Black pepper, but 2 and a half years later, I still have my $900 and no leak.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:45 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
For emergency situations.. I might try the black pepper solution.. That shouldn't be big enough to plug anything up, provided you don't use a horrifying amount.

Egg.. Not so sold on that one. I think you'd be taking alot more risk with that.

But, any of these products.. Commercial or otherwise.. They're not 'smart' products.. I mean, it's not like there's nanites in the crap that is going to tell them "Only block up the hole that leaks to the outside".. So, you run the risk of blocking up the holes that are meant to be there on the inside.

Risk/Reward. If you're on the interstate, 50 miles from home at 2:30am.. Go for it..

If you're noticing dripping on your driveway, and it's going to cost you $200 to get the problem fixed right and you have the $200 (Or can't afford the possibly much higher bill if it doesn't work).. Pay the money.

I had a head gasket leaking water at a bolt a few years back.. The bad part was that it was leaking right into a spark plug hole, which would then cause the plug to misfire. We used some of GM's "Head Gasket Sealant" (Which was a craptastic product they put out to help with leaking.. manifolds, perhaps, on one of their mid to late 90's Caddy engines. I dont' recall the details).. It did good enough to stop that small leak.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 12,388 times
Does it also seal an oil leak? Some guy told me that. He saw me putting oil in.... He also told me to watch out when i took the cap off, sad it was going to shoot out if hot. Sounds like he confused the two??!?!! Got me confused  plz help!! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive