Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 04:51 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The choice of Toyota or Honda is a good one. BUT DROP THE NISSAN! The whole Nissan product line has a terrible repair history overall.

Worst. Advice. Ever.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:27 PM

404 posts, read 1,556,998 times
if you could state the class of car you are interested in, how many miles you want on the car, any warranty left, etc....it would be very helpful in pointing you toward specific models. lots of good cars out there for $10,000. but what kind of car do you want? subcompact, compact, mid size, full size, etc?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:29 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Worst. Advice. Ever.
I agree . I know for sure the early altimas were built rock solid and very dependable. Ive had 2.I do think they have had some issues with some of the later models.Before you buy any car its good to scan AUTOTRADER and look at what the same model is selling for. Also go to edmonds for a price description and then "google" up the same model under customer complaints/recalls etc. All of this should be done before you even go and look at a car. The final part is to inspect it ,drive it, and verify where it came from, then make an offer....As a side note sometimes people who have a car for sale with the CEL on will turn it off and it wont come back on until the car is driven 40 or 50 miles. Take the car to autozone and they can tell if the car has a cel problem light on or not and its free. Never buy a car with the CEL on until the seller has it fixed. Might cost hundreds of bucks and you would be stuck.

Last edited by Nativechief; 01-17-2010 at 05:44 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 05:53 PM

go here and find used cars in your price range in and around your area:

New & Used Cars for Sale, Auto Dealers, Car Reviews and Car Finance Advice

then go here and see how much people are actually paying for the car in your area, as opposed to what the dealer is asking. it could help you put a good (low) offer in right off the bat

TMV new car prices, used car pricing, used car values at Edmunds

it would also be helpful if you could tell us where you live, what kind of driving you do, and what are the climate conditions the car we be driven in. also what kind of roads might you be driving it on. and what sort of driving experience you expect or want on a daily basis

all this is important imo when buying a car for $10,000. its not a whole lot of money, but its enough to get what you want to some degree. but you have to know what you want first

"Toyota, Honda, Nissan" doesn't say a whole lot. they make a bunch of cars you can get used for $10,000. as do others

Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Worst. Advice. Ever.
You say tomoto, I say tomato who is right?

Either way the data tells the story........

Nissan.....
http://www.google.com/search?q=repai...ed=0CC4Q5wIwCg

Toyota....
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Honda.....
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Old 01-17-2010, 06:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
The choice of Toyota or Honda is a good one. BUT DROP THE NISSAN! The whole Nissan product line has a terrible repair history overall.

Oh yes, whatever car you find.....DO NOT FALL IN LOVE WITH IT OR THE SELLER WILL SKIN YOU IN THE DEAL. ( Dealers can smell car love a mile away and will be like a shark that smells blood in the water. ) ALWAYS BE READY TO WALK AWAY IF YOU DON'T GET A GOOD OR FAIR PRICE TO FIND ANOTHER CAR!
I agree about being ready to walk... especially on a new car... more of the same any direction you go...

Haven't had a Nissan since they were called Datsun... several of my friends had Datsun 4wd pick-ups in the 70's and man were they tough... closest thing to bullet proof I've come across... one guy rolled his late one night and it landed right side up... he kept driving it that way through the winter till school was out... later he gave it too his brother and I would still see it around years later... couldn't miss it.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Nissan.....
repair history for nissan cars - Google Search

Toyota....
repair history for toyota cars - Google Search

Honda.....
repair history for honda cars - Google Search

I'm not quite sure what "proof" you think Google search results are, but the fact remains that Nissan quality has been going up while Honda, and especially Toyota, quality has been steadily declining.

In fact, look at the links you provided. Nissan bar graph is the lowest in recent years.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Nissan.....
repair history for nissan cars - Google Search

Toyota....
repair history for toyota cars - Google Search

Honda.....
repair history for honda cars - Google Search
i don't quite understand how to read that chart? is more blue good, bad, or what? lots of blue all over the place

EDIT: is "high" blue good or bad?

Old 01-17-2010, 07:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
I'm not quite sure what "proof" you think Google search results are, but the fact remains that Nissan quality has been going up while Honda, and especially Toyota, quality has been steadily declining.

In fact, look at the links you provided. Nissan bar graph is the lowest in recent years.
If you don't like my data provide some to back up what you're claiming.......if you can.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
If you don't like my data provide some to back up what you're claiming.......if you can.

I don't need to, I'm not the one making a claim that is patently ridiculous and counter to the mainstream.

You are, therefore it's your claim to prove, not mine to disprove.

Try posting some real evidence, not just Google search histories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive