Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,613,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
A couple of my friends swear by K & N, and won't run anything but.

I did a quick search, and the improvements in mileage and/or performance seem negligible.

Are there any real, noticeable differences in the quality of air filters? Mine get so dirty after about a year I want to change them, even though the interval is supposed to be 30000.

If I go with a basic model like fram, will that be an issue?
In order to answer this question it's necessary to define the reason an air cleaner is used in the first place. Yes, we all know that we don't want hunks of dirt, birds or other junk inside our engines. What we really don't want is micro fine dirt down in the micron size particles that will sandpaper the inside of our engines to nothing in short order. That is where an air cleaner can either shine or just take up space.

K&N cotton filter can ,when cleaned and oiled, hold grit down to mini-micron size where a regular air filter just keeps out the large chunks. K&N filters , properly cared for, will also grab the grit while not upsetting the air fuel mix with air restrictions like a paper filter will in short order due to dust.

The sad truth is people think that all an air filter does is filter air but it's the way it filters the air that is most important of all if you have any hope of a correct fuel air mix or a clean engine inside. The air filter is second only to your oil for long engine life but most owners ignore it completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,613,905 times
Years ago cars used to have what was called an "oil bath" air filter. These filters used a rough steel mesh dipped into a reservoir of oil that the air was forced to pass through to get to the carburetor.

These were the best filters for just about every use but had a lot of air restriction as you might guess.

One type of oil bath cleaner.........
Figure 1-38.-Oil bath air cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive