Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ok, now that I know youre roughly 12 years old and most likely a snot-nosed rebel punk, Id like to smack you around even harder than before.
Typical thug response to a thread he wasn't even asked a question.Don't you have a wanna- be mob meeting to attend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times

Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
Personal attacks are not allowed on this forum. Perhaps some members should read the rules of the site. Here's what it says about personal attacks:

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:37 AM

263 posts, read 1,097,506 times
e-Thug - that's hilarious. Now back to the topic...

I've owned many makes of cars and don't consider myself a brand or country loyalist. I buy the car made by the manufacturer that suits my wants and needs at the given time. There are so many great cars made by different manufacturers that you might miss out on if you remain close-minded.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 PM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
I currently own a 2007 Nissan Altima. This is my first imported auto. The truth is that I have always loved Ford but after they discontinued the Thunderbirds, a car which I owned from 1994-2001, I felt like they were going in a different direction. In 2002 I had an Explorer that although beautiful was nothing but trouble. As a second car I purchased a 1997 Cadillac Seville that was stunning, fast, and super smooth. However, I was about to need a 3rd car just to keep me going with all the mechanics visits these two cars required. That's what drove me to Nissan. Maybe my next car will me American; I do love the CTS and some of the Lincolns. I even sat in a Fusion which impressed me! In conclusion, yes, I will return to domestic products; I just needed a break from the Big 3 for a while.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:01 PM

362 posts, read 392,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
My best Detroit car was worse than my least reliable Japanese car!
This about says it all. Or as some of my customers might say, hell to the NO..!!

Old 11-22-2010, 03:21 PM

362 posts, read 392,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
I have noticed that most the people who own cars that turns out to be "nightmares" don't take care of them properly, or seem to be vague in their understanding of what was actually wrong with the vehicle in the first place.
I'm was an ASE certified tech and have an associates degree in automotive technology. While I haven't worked as a tech or service writer in decades, I know how to perform preventive maintanance and diagnose problems in their infancy. Yet, I've still owned american bombs that fell apart right under me. There's nothing that can be done (to forstall these types of issues) when people smoke crack on the assembly line.

2001 Toyota Camry (J vin) 175,000 miles. I'll get over 300k out of it.

Rear view mirror fell off of my pontiac grand prix at 60k. Doors stop lining up with the rest of the body, Ac compressor blew up at 85k. Transmission was clunky after 55k.

Chrysler Lebaron- 2 transmission jobs.

I could go on and on..

My 1980 MGB was better than any american car I've ever owned. And that MGB was far from perfect.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:58 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
This about says it all. Or as some of my customers might say, hell to the NO..!!
It's not saying much because some people have the opposite experience.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:47 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It's not saying much because some people have the opposite experience.
Exactly.

My last Falcon was still going strong at 46 years old. I had an '81 Chevy Citation with 323k miles on it, going strong till I gave it away. The three new American cars I bought all had zero defects or faults the entire time I owned them (I had my PT Cruiser for 5 years with zero faults or flaws, and even though I maintained it properly, I also used it HARD).

My Toyota Corolla was rusting out and had transmission issues (was still fun with the 4AG twincam engine). My CRX Si always needed something fixed. my friend's Tyota 4Runners both need engine work (the one has the typeical #4 cyl piston slap, so we're going to swap teh engine out with somehting a little stouter).

I'd take another AE86 Corolla, or an '80s Toyota pickup again, but it's because I like those particular vehicles, not because they'd be any more reliable than anything else. After OWNING over 100 cars in the last 30 years, I have no loyalty to any nation or brand. I like them all, but I know that any car can break, otherwise independent Toyota or Honda repair shops wouldn't be able to stay in business.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:45 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
I have never met anyone that has made the switch to Asian cars and gone back to Detroit vehicles. I find the most brand loyalty in Toyota, Honda, and Subaru owners. The other Japanese brands get less brand loyalty, but the cars that replace them are always Japanese or Korean makes.

The most reliable vehicle I have ever owned is my 1993 Nissan Pickup. The radio pooped out on it yesterday, so it will be getting a new one soon. The cost of the new radio has pushed the cost of repairs for my Nissan truck (not including tires and batteries) to a little more than $900 in 17+ years. The biggest chunk of the $900 went to it's first brake job a couple of months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive