Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:52 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,401,956 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'd switch back to American cars if the long-term reliability becomes as good as that of the best Japanese cars, and they're priced competitively. I know some of the recent American cars have been getting good reviews for initial build quality, but let's see how they hold up over time. Actually, I own a 1999 Chevy Prizm (basically a Toyota Corolla that was branded under the Chevy name), which has been pretty reliable, but not as reliable as the Honda Civic it replaced. I had zero problems with that Civic for 90,000 miles, but I wrecked it. My wife's last car, an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, was nothing but trouble. Her current car, an Acura RL, has been great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 06:02 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Probably not. I went from Fords to Honda's....kicking and screaming I might add....but after 12 years and 4 vehicles (2 Civics, 1 CRV, 1 Ridgeline..all used by the family) and no trouble I'm sticking with what works!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:57 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,118 times
No. I was so proud to buy American when I bought a Ford during the mid 80's when Detroit found religion after the gas lines era and promised reliable efficient cars instead of the oversized gas guzzling junk they had been building. However the car had a little problem with some sheet metal heat shield rattling on an exhaust pipe. Took it back to the dealer (Wheaton MD) expecting no problems but they didn't fix it and indeed screwed up a couple of other things. Puzzled, took it back to get all these things fixed, but they didn't and Moderator cut: Language up the tuning or computer and thus began my descent into incompetent Ford service hell. Quite a shame as the car was a beautiful dark metallic blue V-6 Mustang built with pride by some great folks in Detroit. Ended up going to another, and then another dealer as the original one got real nasty with me bringing my car back again and again under warranty. Contacted the regional Ford office for help and they told me that "they did not wish to become involved" and told me to take care of the problem myself. Wrote to Ford in Detroit with a letter explaining my plight and asked them to help me get my car straightened out. I received a form postcard from them telling me to contact the regional Ford office for help and also "Thanks for taking the time to write. We're always glad to hear from our customers." By now the Mustang was breaking down frequently and leaving me stranded. Finally parked it in my driveway, and borrowed an extra car from a cousin.

Some time later I heard some good stuff about Hyundai and went and looked at them. Ended up buying a low end Excel as I didn't want to spend much money on a d*mn car after what I had been through with the Ford. That car and the dealer did much to restore my faith in automobiles. The car was perfect from the day I bought it to the day I traded it in on another Hyundai 10 years later. Bought an equally perfect and trouble free '97 Elantra wagon with 16 valve DOHC engine, 5 speed stickshift and four wheel independent suspension. That was a very fun car to drive. Now retired, I traded the Elantra in on a used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with V-6, four speed automatic, 52K miles and all the bells and whistles. I like this one very much.

Probably will never buy a new car again. But I would have to be a complete idiot to buy a Ford product ever again. And Chrysler's toast and bankrupt GM doesn't look like a good prospect. Besides these Hyundais have all been perfect, trouble free, a pleasure to drive, and supported by a great network of American dealerships with American employees. And Hyundai is now built in America.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-25-2010 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 01-22-2010, 07:31 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
No. I was so proud to buy American when I bought a Ford during the mid 80's when Detroit found religion after the gas lines era and promised reliable efficient cars instead of the oversized gas guzzling junk they had been building. However the car had a little problem with some sheet metal heat shield rattling on an exhaust pipe. Took it back to the dealer (Wheaton MD) expecting no problems but they didn't fix it and indeed screwed up a couple of other things. Puzzled, took it back to get all these things fixed, but they didn't and Moderator cut: Language up the tuning or computer and thus began my descent into incompetent Ford service hell. Quite a shame as the car was a beautiful dark metallic blue V-6 Mustang built with pride by some great folks in Detroit. Ended up going to another, and then another dealer as the original one got real nasty with me bringing my car back again and again under warranty. Contacted the regional Ford office for help and they told me that "they did not wish to become involved" and told me to take care of the problem myself. Wrote to Ford in Detroit with a letter explaining my plight and asked them to help me get my car straightened out. I received a form postcard from them telling me to contact the regional Ford office for help and also "Thanks for taking the time to write. We're always glad to hear from our customers." By now the Mustang was breaking down frequently and leaving me stranded. Finally parked it in my driveway, and borrowed an extra car from a cousin.

Some time later I heard some good stuff about Hyundai and went and looked at them. Ended up buying a low end Excel as I didn't want to spend much money on a d*mn car after what I had been through with the Ford. That car and the dealer did much to restore my faith in automobiles. The car was perfect from the day I bought it to the day I traded it in on another Hyundai 10 years later. Bought an equally perfect and trouble free '97 Elantra wagon with 16 valve DOHC engine, 5 speed stickshift and four wheel independent suspension. That was a very fun car to drive. Now retired, I traded the Elantra in on a used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with V-6, four speed automatic, 52K miles and all the bells and whistles. I like this one very much.

Probably will never buy a new car again. But I would have to be a complete idiot to buy a Ford product ever again. And Chrysler's toast and bankrupt GM doesn't look like a good prospect. Besides these Hyundais have all been perfect, trouble free, a pleasure to drive, and supported by a great network of American dealerships with American employees. And Hyundai is now built in America.
Chrysler shafted me like Ford shafted you. My brand new 1990 Plymouth Acclaim LX had problems literally from day one. The dealers and zone representatives could not care less. That 1990 Acclaim was my FINAL Detroit 3 vehicle. My Toyotas and Nissans have been excellent, and the dealers appreciate my business.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-25-2010 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-12-2010, 10:39 PM

65 posts, read 175,811 times
all my new cars have been hondas and toyotas... had two used nissans... toyotas have been the best in my experience. however, i would consider american as a future purchase.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:26 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
From Ford to Honda. I'll never go back. I'll probably just drive Civics until I die.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
I will be sticking with my fords and GM they build some of the best trucks which I use for towing and hauling and getting through 3 feet of snow in winter and the best affordable V8 RWD sports cars they are hard to beat and offer the most HP per doller over other import brands.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:10 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
I don't care where a car is made nor where its headquarters are. If for some reason I could choose from two identical vehicles at the same price and one were made in the US, the other elsewhere, I would buy American.

But it never works that way.

I buy whatever meets my needs at the time. The worst car I have owned since 1976 was American - a 1990 Explorer. But I have owned a very good Ford F250 V10 since then, and now own a Ford Fusion. But most of my vehicles have been Mazdas and Hondas.

I see no reason to preserve UAW jobs of American manufacturers if the vehicles they make don't deserve to be bought. If they make the vehicles I want I will buy them.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:47 AM

29,430 posts, read 14,618,885 times
First off , you couldn't get me into an Asian car... well maybe a Subaru WRX but that would be it.
I'll stick to my Detroit 3 trucks and German cars. Wouldn't mind any of the new Buicks, Caddilacs, Camaro, Challenger , Chrysler 300 SRT8, or a Pontiac G8 GT though.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
I've never owned an Asian car, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't. I've driven a lot of them over the years and most of them don't do anything for me. I like Acura's and Infiniti's and have always had a soft spot for Subaru's. I would consider one of those cars, but everytime I've seriously considered one there was an American or European car that fit that bill better. I've never been able to shake the feeling in an Asian car that I was driving the automotive equivalent of a washing machine. No soul, no fun, no pashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive