Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Yep, I agree. That reminds me of the idiot I was talking about mid thread. What kind of loser would even take out a bicycle in that kind of weather anyways.
What kind of a wimp wouldn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:16 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Traffic slowed to nearly a halt to the right of my truck trying to get over and around that guy. Also tons of traffic behind me. If you would have read the post you would have known that I had just left an intersection and was in the front of the traffic pack.
You were in front of the traffic pack, but there's a maroon car in front of you? Whatever, I wasn't there... but I see enough room to pass the cyclist who is riding as far right as he can, on a road I presume he's legally allowed to ride on, regardless of whether motorists feel he should or shouldn't be.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
This thread has turned into a pretty nasty cat fight. As I said, I just avoid bicyclists, and stay away from them. If they are in my lane, I simply put on my turn signal, and wait safely to pass them. It is not that hard. They may be annoying, but I think there are a lot worse things to worry about then them.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:53 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,693 times
Default Sharing the road with automobiles...

It is a shame that folks that choose to ride two wheeled vehicles have to share the road with inattentive, law breaking car and truck drivers.

Motorcyclists and bicyclists have to constantly deal with idiot auto drivers that have no knowledge of the rules, that two wheeled travelers have a right to use the same roads, or are so self involved that they do can not yield the right of way, or just are so arrogant that they figure they have a bigger vehicle so they do not care about the laws or basic human decency.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:59 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Yeah... those arrogant automobile drivers!!! They just run bikers over because their in the way, how rude!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:00 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Yeah... those arrogant automobile drivers!!! They just run bikers over because their in the way, how rude!
Yes, they do. It has happened, it is a fact.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:18 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
I hear you...I restored a '65 Harley FL, but I don't take her out much, it's just too damned dangerous.

IMO, it's only going to get worse...each new mobile electronic gizmo that comes out takes more and more of drivers' attention.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,244 times
Well I never liked motorcycles because of my days as a truck driver. You'd get people complaining left and right that they didn't wan't trucks going down roads that there subdivisions were off of because they are too loud. So what happens? The squeaky wheel gets the grease, next thing you know county or city is hanging a no truck road sign. Yet a harley with screamin pipes (which is louder then a truck) can rip threw there any time they want. At one quarry in Mo you were forbidden to go left out of the drive because there were houses on both sides of the road and people complained about the noise. So we had to detour 5 miles out of the way to get to the interstate when it was not even a mile the other way.

Cyclists are a pain sometimes too. Theres nothing like coming over a hill on a country road doing the speed limit in an 80,000lb truck just to see a bike in the road with oncoming traffic heading your way.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
I agree with the OP. When I am on my motorcycle, avoiding inattentive drivers is a daily routine. I love the way, when they realized they just pulled out right in front of you, they make matters worse by stopping short, right in the middle of your path. Do they do it on purpose? No, but they may as well. Really, what is the difference between doing it on purpose and not paying enough attention to avoid killing other human beings?
Motorcycle safety books endorse calling them crashes instead of accidents. "Accident" implies it was unavoidable. It lets the driver off the hook, when usually the crash is due to inattentiveness or plain carelessness. If someone kills me, I dont want anyone easing the driver's conscious by calling it an accident. If people had to live with the knowledge that they killed another human being because of their carelessness, maybe people would start paying more attention when they are driving.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:38 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I dont want anyone easing the driver's conscious by calling it an accident. If people had to live with the knowledge that they killed another human being because of their carelessness, maybe people would start paying more attention when they are driving.
It doesn't matter whose fault it is or not. Anyone with a conscience is going to be really torn up if they kill someone in an accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive