Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
I ride my mountain bike on the highways all the time and what I do and have allways done is stay on the opposite side of the road of passing cars and when there is a car coming from both ways, I get off the road and ride in the ditch.

I can't believe how many people will ride with their back to the traffic like they completely trust the motorists to not hit them. I do ride on sidewalks when I see them.
Bicycles should ride WITH traffic, NOT against it! They are vehicles, not pedestrians.

I saw a bicyclist killed because he was riding against traffic, which is illegal. People like you that do not know the laws are a BIG part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

As a daily bike commuter, I am out there with multiple bright blinking rear lights, rear view mirror on my helmet, reflective neon vest, very bright headlight (when it's dreary or dark), reflective leg bands, and lots of other reflective tape on me and the bike. People I know who pass me in their cars say they can see me from well over half a mile behind. Cars generally stay far away from me because they know that it would be near impossible to say "I didn't see the bicyclist".

Motorist must wear seat belts and ,IMO, cyclist must be required to wear at least a neon lime green vest while on a bike.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:08 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,310,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Bicycles should ride WITH traffic, NOT against it! They are vehicles, not pedestrians.

I saw a bicyclist killed because he was riding against traffic, which is illegal. People like you that do not know the laws are a BIG part of the problem.
I am not part of the problem cause I stay out of the way of traffic and have never been hit at all, unlike you who has been hit six times so I must be a much safer rider than you. Look, getting hit is completely unacceptable and likely deadly so I will stay out of any vehicles path always.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I only said I hope this man is now dead or injured because of what he did to me. He was attempting to assault or possibly even kill me. I do not wish any harm on other bicyclists.
Just the fact that you have this idea that he did something to you speaks loud enough.

Who knows why he was riding mid lane? Whatever the reason, he actually has a right to do it. The fact that you passed him "a little close to show him he was messing with the wrong person" says it all, no wonder he got pissed.

Given your statements about your own driving in other threads, I find it hard to believe he was the one in the wrong here, a bit of a jerk, maybe, but by your account it sounds like you were way out of line. Of course, I have no expectation of you agreeing with this, so lord knows the point of this post, but hey, what else should I do at 04:15am on a Saturday night, sleep?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Just the fact that you have this idea that he did something to you speaks loud enough.

Who knows why he was riding mid lane? Whatever the reason, he actually has a right to do it. The fact that you passed him "a little close to show him he was messing with the wrong person" says it all, no wonder he got pissed.

Given your statements about your own driving in other threads, I find it hard to believe he was the one in the wrong here, a bit of a jerk, maybe, but by your account it sounds like you were way out of line. Of course, I have no expectation of you agreeing with this, so lord knows the point of this post, but hey, what else should I do at 04:15am on a Saturday night, sleep?
No, he does not have a right to ride in the middle of the lane. Nobody has a right to impede traffic, especially going 10mph in a 45mph zone. Legally, he needs to be to the far to the right as possible so that other motorists can pass him. I agree with you that going close to him on purpose was wrong, but the way he handled it was not only wrong, but completely illegal. If an officer had seen what I did, I would most likely have gotten a traffic ticket. However, if an officer had seen what he did, he would have been arrested for disorderly conduct at the least. As to the bottom comment, he threatened my life so I feel justified in saying what I said. If would not have had my gun under the seat who knows what would have happened?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:44 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Whether it is right or wrong, doesn't matter. Until the US' problem with bicycling is resolved, I think it is foolishly brazen to take on vehicles as some act of revolution. Unfortunately, such behavior generally results in mostly furious drivers. Honestly I don't think that vehicle drivers will ever completely accept cyclists until the roads are accommodating for both. Like it or not that's the way it is... and unfortunately the fatality trend won't change until bikers back down and get out of the way.

I am heavily against government interference however this is something that they are Constitutionally mandated to take care of. General Welfare! I certainly believe that cyclists should have there own safe routes of travel. That said, the only way that will become a reality is if the battle is fought in Congress rather than on the streets.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post

I agree... I bike a few times a week and never ride against traffic. It is illegal for one thing and very dangerous.

I tend to use the sidewalk if I don't see any pedestrians on it. I feel much safer riding on the sidewalk than on the street. And some streets out here have 3 lanes which doesn't leave much room for bikes, especially when there are parked cars on the street.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I first attempted to honk my horn at this jerk as he was right in the middle of the lane going 10mph in a 45mph zone. He could have been respectful and moved over to the right. I made sure I had enough room to get by him WITHOUT hitting him. I came a little close to him to let him know he was messing with the wrong person. If I had wanted to assault him, I would have just ran him over. So there was no "attempted assault" as you say. Also, I only pulled the gun out as a defensive move for protection only. This man could have easily have killed me with his bare hands. I am really glad he just took off when I pulled the out the gun. If he would have continued, and broke my window I would have shot him in which I would have every legal right too.
Still carrying that same mindless grudge huh?

For shame.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:09 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Does every one here know their US history and understand that the first paved roads were in fact built for bicycles?

Also that bicycles are Legal Vehicles on all roadways except for the Interstate System?

If you don't understand the rights and rules of the road, you have no business operating a motor vehicle. Shame on you.

People often toss about the term "entitlement: these days. I see no greater sense of "entitlement" than those who get behind the wheel of two tons of steel. Driving a motorized automobile is a privilege and a huge huge huge moral and ethical responsiblility. It is not a right! Get that straight in your pretty little heads.

Stop texting, put down the cell phone, get over yourself.

You are out in the general public utilizing a potentially deadly piece of equipment on publicly funded byways.

If you are angry at yourself, angry at your boss, angry at your momma, please seek professional help.

We don't need you folks out on the road.

Thank you.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Does every one here know their US history and understand that the first paved roads were in fact built for bicycles? Not many folk's know this fact. Bravo!

Also that bicycles are Legal Vehicles on all roadways except for the Interstate System? Again, not many folks know this either!

If you don't understand the rights and rules of the road, you have no business operating a motor vehicle.

Shame on you. ( TW modified quote)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive