Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:35 PM

415 posts, read 1,778,690 times

Advertisements

I realize I've been due for an automatic transmission fluid change as my mechanic has been 'reminding' me to do this for quite some time.

The transmission used to be completely silent. Now it sometimes emits a slight but noticeable squeak as it shifts. Also, two different mechanics have told me the transmission fluid is quite dark.

Is there any cause for concern? I'm planning on getting this service done in the next few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:24 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Yes the fluid is not suppose to look dark. By not listening to the advice you may have already ruined it..........If the dark fluid smells like burned almonds YOU ALREADY HAVE BURNED IT UP. and you will be walking soon.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:18 PM

Actually the car shifts great. The "diagnosis" was from a well known chain lube place. They tell me my air filter is "dirty" and needs to be replaced after the air filter was in there for a couple of months. Not very trustworthy.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:15 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
Actually the car shifts great. The "diagnosis" was from a well known chain lube place. They tell me my air filter is "dirty" and needs to be replaced after the air filter was in there for a couple of months. Not very trustworthy.
Just get your transmission changed. How do you know the sound is coming from your transmission--most likely it is not.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:32 PM

You mean change the fluid, not the transmission itself I assume!

Yeah, I'm starting to think it's something else. I'll let the mechanic test drive it.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:37 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Quote:
You mean change the fluid, not the transmission itself I assume!

Yeah, I'm starting to think it's something else. I'll let the mechanic test drive it.
Yeah sorry, change the transy fluid and see what happens.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 132,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Yes the fluid is not suppose to look dark. By not listening to the advice you may have already ruined it..........If the dark fluid smells like burned almonds YOU ALREADY HAVE BURNED IT UP. and you will be walking soon.
Thank you for this. I never thought this would be a bad sign. I saw this Aceomatic Parts over the net and seems to be okay with me, can you check this out? and tell me if this is okay with you?thanks for the advice.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,304,525 times
It should be reddish/pink, not brown or black. Get that fluid and filter changed ASAP. Don't let them put the cheap s*** in either! Valvoline or Castrol is a best bet.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:54 PM

152 posts, read 651,090 times
I don't know what kind of car you are refering to but does this squeak happen during all shifts?
Get that tranny fluid changed ASAP. If you are not one to do for yourself (very easy to do - just a little messy), make sure that the place drains the torque converter and flushes the system to get the old fluid out of the coolant lines. Have you actually looked on your tranny dip stick to confirm the dark fluid? If it is dark (burnt) something is amiss.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:02 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Have you looked at the filter yourself or are you just thinking that it cannot be dirty just because it was changed a few months ago? Also you can look at the fluid yourself too and smell it. If it looks dirty, black or smells burnt, get it flushed, not just changed asap. Changing only replaces about 2 quarts of it, flushing changes it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive