Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:30 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times

Advertisements

All you can do is try. Advertise it for $8500, then when you drop the price a thousand maybe somebody will think they are really putting one over on you.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 03:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I am curious how the catalytic converter, part of the exhaust, shot pieces of catalyst into the engine.

$1000 will buy you a pretty dismal vehicle unless you somehow get lucky.

It will almost certainly be old, high mileage, and likely in poor condition. In Texas these are the kind of vehicles laborers buy. Beat up old cars that barely pass state inspection. Is that what you want to drive?

Do you already have a job in Las Vegas? Unemployment in LV is sky high now and unlikely to turnaround any time soon. LV may have the highest foreclosure rate in the US.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I am curious how the catalytic converter, part of the exhaust, shot pieces of catalyst into the engine.

$1000 will buy you a pretty dismal vehicle unless you somehow get lucky.

It will almost certainly be old, high mileage, and likely in poor condition. In Texas these are the kind of vehicles laborers buy. Beat up old cars that barely pass state inspection. Is that what you want to drive?

Do you already have a job in Las Vegas? Unemployment in LV is sky high now and unlikely to turnaround any time soon. LV may have the highest foreclosure rate in the US.
The mechanic at the Nissan dealer said the pieces of catalyst end up in the engine due to "back flow pressure" The car still had a warranty on it so I didnt pay for it to be fixed

I will not be planning on moving to Vegas at all until October of this year, and right now I am not even sure if that is likely. Im taking a 3 day trip in MArch to check out the city BEYOND THE STRIP and see the burbs of Vegas and meet some locals and see what they are like. I am putting money away as we speak

As far as wanting a $1000 car I have found several that were in excellent condition that the owners just needed to get rid of for whatever reason. I should have bought a crummier car in the first place.

When I was car shopping I wanted to buy something real nice that represented my success not only in work but in life. And I will admit it at the age of 19 (at the time) I wanted to impress girls as well. Everybody else I knew however was a nay-sayer and told me I shouldn't buy that car that I was over shooting the mark, it was too expensive, etc, etc, etc. A few of my more unfriendly co-workers thought the car was "too nice for a 19 year old"

But as a product of my own stubbornness I bought it. I chose the Altima because its stylish (not many sedans are these days) fast, fuel efficient and has room for my friends when we hang out. Girls like it too

I keep it in such immaculate shape as well that many people think its brand new and it catches a lot of peoples eyes. Not bad for a 7 year old car

Old 01-26-2010, 09:59 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I am considering relocating and before I do that I am considering selling my 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S.
KEEP THE NISSAN, Davie!

No matter what you plan to do, you will definitely need dependable transportation out here. You know what you have now and buying a $1k "crummier" car may or may not be as dependable while actually costing you more in the long haul.

Here's a suggestion . . . try doubling up on your payments until you finally head West. Having it paid off or at least having the balance significantly reduced would make more sense than having an "unsure" vehicle on a long trip and/or at a new home while you are trying to get settled.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
People have gotten smart about buying used cars. Whenever I have sold one, buyers show up with a printout of the KBB private party value and then start haggling down from there. You can get more, but you have to stand firm and wait for the right buyer to come along.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:21 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Yes you should be able to get 7500 for the car from a priavte buyer especailly if it has some options and is that clean. Have maintenance recrods is a good sellig point with private buyers. Also its kust a fact that clean used cars are sellig very well now days and getting more scarce eberyday.I agree;you have to ignore the lowballer that always turnup.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:56 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yes you should be able to get 7500 for the car from a priavte buyer especailly if it has some options and is that clean. Have maintenance recrods is a good sellig point with private buyers. Also its kust a fact that clean used cars are sellig very well now days and getting more scarce eberyday.I agree;you have to ignore the lowballer that always turnup.
The car is a higher end model. The only thing that doesnt make it a top of the line model is that there are no leather seats

It has a premium BOSE system, trip computer, steering wheel mounted audio controls, power seats, heated mirrors

The trip computer tells you
Your DTE (distance to empty) which on a full tank is over 500 miles
Temperature (if it goes below 40 the word ICY pops up next to it)
Your average MPG, mine is currently 25.6 combined city/freeway driving
How long you have been driving, which after a certain point it resets to 0 measures in hours and minutes
2 seperate short trip odometers that measure up to 1000 miles

All digital too

Its just as good as a 2009 or 2010 Nissan Altima, even better then certain new ones

Old 01-26-2010, 03:18 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Except it is 7 years old, and has already had a good deal of work done on it. And it is missing a lot of stuff that a 2009 or 2010 will have on it.

Fair or not, people's perceptions will be skewed when they find out how much work it has had done.

Realistically, you probably expect between $6000 and $6500.

I don't think it would be worth it to sell the car, since you know it and know it's reliable.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
I think you can get what you want if you sell it privately and don't mind sitting on it a little while. A new motor should increase the value, not lower it as long as you have the paperwork. Anybody that looks at a car and says "well it has a new motor so I'm scared it has issues" is playing wayy out in left field. Granted I have seen some bad installs at dealerships but if your not having any issues then I'm sure your fine. Just don't sell it to a dealership. With private sales, a lot of people actually do go off KBB. At a dealership they have to whip out the mysterious black book and all of the sudden their telling you it's only worth $3000. Dang dealerships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive