Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:25 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,285,382 times

Advertisements

I'll admit I was wrong for putting this off for a long time. I'm at the point now where my license needs to be renewed soon. I'm sure I'll have to fork over my whole tax return (if not more) to pay off these fines. What is my first step?

I've looked at the dmv/county sites for all 3 states and I haven't gotten anywhere. The tickets I have received are long gone, and I don't have any info from any of them. I would like to pay my fines before facing the judge- maybe he/she will go easy on me? Will I have to hire an attorney to go in with me?

The tickets were for driving with suspended license and a few for speeding. No reckless driving, just going a bit over the limit. I haven't gotten arrested yet (knock on wood) just the tickets and warnings not to get caught again.

Who do I speak to to find out how much I owe altogether? I called the issuing state DMV office and all the automated machine tells me is that is it suspended. Do I have to request a driver's record?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 04:38 PM

170 posts, read 771,842 times
You should not have to request a drivers record. Have you tried to call the traffic court that you were originally suppose to show up to. I had tickets at one time in North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia and when I was ready to pay the fines I called the traffic courts for each city and spoke with a live representative that told me my ticket number, my fine and where and how to pay my fine. For one city I paid over the phone with a credit card, for another city I drove to (since this was the city my mother lived in) and paid in person and for the final city I showed up to the court and paid the fine with the cashier. It was a simple process. After getting clearance from ALL 3 states my license was restored (lord forgive me because I too had driven on a suspended license because I had not paid a fine in a few cities).

Tell us, what city are these tickets for? Perhaps I can help you do some research in looking to see what number you can call to speak to a live representative. You are right, the automated system usually just says that your license is suspended HOWEVER it usually gives you an option to speak to someone.

I can telly out this much, every states system is tied into one another now and if you dont get this taken care of and you do get caught, you may get sent to jail (or if you are blessed as I was here in GA, they just impounded my car and I walked home which was less than a mile). Still not fun but hey, at least I did not go to jail thanks to the cop that pulled me over (which by the way here in Georgia, they can scan hundreds of tags at one time and if yours comes up suspended/cancelled, they will do a U-Turn in the middle of traffic and pull you over).

Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,514,062 times
Like warrents have been isuued ;so you will need to get with that court on each ticket that issued the warrants. On each there is probaly a additional charge of failure to appear as you promised when signn ing the tickets.The driving wi9th suspended l;icanse in most sates is above a ticket charfe and usually ends up i country corts with the possiblity if jail time. State have agreement on such warrnts to areet and charge the person when stopped as mentioned.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,285,382 times
In 2 of the states I got tickets on the major highways. One in South Carolina outside of Columbia and the other in Tennessee somewhere between Nashville and Memphis. The rest of them I got in NYC. I may even have gotten a ticket in Georgia. I doubt it, but to be honest I don't remember. I had no idea my license has been suspended for years.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:06 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,104,404 times
you need a lawyer not a CDF buddy, that is 50% of the problem fixed, next is if you come to court with no remorse, like this OP, the judge will see it, he is not blind.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:34 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,560,722 times
Why do many people screw themselves like they think or feel they're going to circumvent the system.

Then the hits the fan and they yell "HELP!!!!!! I'M DROWNING!!!!!"

Isn't it easier to take care of things one by one as they happen? - I guess "snot".

Sheeesh!

Then some wonder why they "go directly to jail and don't collect the $200.00".

Old 01-25-2010, 11:47 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,259,779 times
Talk to the DMV and find out why you're suspended, not through the automated service. Then, you will have to contact the court in which a warrant may have been issued for your arrest to appear on the charges, or come to another settlement.

A lawyer is the best first step, since they may be able to interact with colleagues in other jurisdictions to attempt to clean up the mess. I would consult a traffic defense attorney to see just what the problems are; whether or not there are bench warrants issued for you; how they can help you navigate the different jurisdictions; and remove not only the suspension issues, but also help clear any warrants that could be enforced if still on the record, even after the ticket is paid. You would not want to pay the fine, only to get stopped, and arrested on an old warrant for a ticket that has been paid, since that could take a little bit of time to settle.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,097,142 times
Friend, I believe when you go in to try and get your license that the system will show your crimes and you will not be given a new license but maybe jail time. YO..Driving with a suspended license alone is enough to KEEP them suspended. Im not tryin to be rude but you seem to be one of the people they make city transit for...get used to it. How could you buy insurance and get a tag for your car with no license....your story seems odd. Are you also guilty of driving with no insurance and maybe using a stolen tag? Thats illegal too in case you dont know it.gez

Old 01-26-2010, 02:59 AM

415 posts, read 1,772,813 times
You want help but can't even remember where, when, or if you received your tickets? That's messed up man.

And why are you worried about being pulled over and arrested if your license has been suspended for years and years? You shouldn't be driving at all in that case. If you weren't or aren't driving, you shouldn't be concerned about being arrested, unless you are a habitual offender, generally speaking.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:56 AM

1,765 posts, read 7,305,802 times
Pay your fines and/or do the jail time. Once you are square with the law, you may eventually be allowed to drive legally again.

Either way, get the #$% off the road.

No sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive